we have some simple and delicious mixed drink recipes for your fourth of july holiday weekend. i hope you see some awesome fireworks and spend some good quality time with the people you love. i’ll be in france, so enjoy this holiday for me! -bri
watermelon jalapeño margarita
• 8 cups watermelon
• 1.5 cups tequila
• 1 cup triple sec
• 1/2 cup lime juice
• 1-2 jalapeños, thinly sliced
puree the watermelon, then pour through a fine mesh strainer. combine the remaining ingredients and chill for at least a couple of hours (more if you would like a stronger pepper taste). remove 1/2 of the jalapeños slices and salt the rim of your glasses. add extra jalapeño slices for garnish. yield 4 servings.
• 1 cup mango juice
• 1/4 cup coconut water
• 1.5 oz rum
• 1-2 limes, juiced
combine all ingredients over ice and mix. add a lime slice for garnish. yield 1 serving.
blueberry mint mojito
• 1.5 oz blueberry vodka
• 1/2 a lime, juiced
• club soda
muddle mint leaves with a splash of simple syrup. add in lime and vodka. mix and serve over ice. top off with club soda.add blueberries and mint for garnish. yield 1 serving.
(styling + photos by sheila gim for designlovefest – want more food posts? go here!)
i’m into indigo anytime of the year but it’s especially appropriate given that the 4th of july is this weekend! i came home one day and my new roommate, skye, was wearing the coolest indigo shirt that she made. so i had her come down to the studio so she could show us all how it’s done!
what we used:
• Indigo Tie Dye Kit
• 8 gallon bucket or tub
• long spoon or stick for stirring
• drop cloth
• an armful of white or cream 100% cotton stuff to dye (we did sheets, socks, shirts and a bag!)
how to dye:
• first you’ll need to make your dye bath. this is as simple as pouring all of the pre-filled packets from the kit in water. stir it all together VERY slowly as to not let too much oxygen in. it will appear neon green and may have foam on top- that’s okay!
• cover the bucket or tub and let it sit for 30 min to an hour. in order to achieve that dark, magical ocean-like tint, let the dye bath sit for as long as you can. the longer it sits, the darker the indigo!
• while it’s sitting, you can start tying string or rubber bands (all included in the kit) around your clothes in different cool ways! my personal favorite technique is creating mini ponytails all over your fabric to achieve full moons or polka dots! basically wherever your rubber band is, that’s where white will remain. rinse them all in cold water.
• next, immerse the separate pieces in your bucket or tub, make sure and squeeze out the excess dye VERY slowly into your bath. Once you have everything in, you should dunk them all under to make sure everything is equally covered in dye.
• leave the clothes in the dye and cover the tub for about an hour. when you can’t wait any longer and you’re DYEING to see your indigo creations, take them all out one by one and rinse them in cold water again. At this point you can cut all of the string or rubber bands off and spread your pieces out on your drop cloth. at first the fabric will look green, don’t worry! as the oxygen hits it, the green will turn into blue. indigo magic! make sure and wash and dry your pieces all together (the indigo won’t fade) before you wear them!
p.s. the leftover dye bath can last up to two weeks if covered and can be used again and again!
photos by sheila gim for designlovefest
For this week’s colorfest post, we picked this pretty chocolate brown shade. It makes me want to grab my basket, my bike, this cute s’mores kit
, and have a picnic. –stephanie
(want to see more colorfest posts? they’re all here!)
i love this wooden shelf from yield design co.! it’s perfect for placing books and plants on in your bedroom, kitchen, or office. such a simple & beautiful design with the bronze cables. today you can win this shelf along with these items below!
these solid brass geo stands can hold your photographs, cards, or inspiration on your desk. and the poster is just a good reminder!
they’ve also added more designs to their ring selection over at endswell collection. check them out!
CLICK THROUGH TO ENTER GIVEAWAY & REDEEM DISCOUNT CODE…
today we have my good friend max wanger joining us for dress your tech. i love his minimalistic approach to photography, and i think they make great desktops. so calming and nice to look at, don’t you think?
also! take 15% off at his print shop with the code HAPPYSUMMER until July 10th!
CLICK THROUGH TO DOWNLOAD ALL OF THE DESKTOP DESIGNS…