farro is a grain that i often overlook. i’ll make brown rice or quinoa but never farro. i attended a baby shower last weekend with a great farro salad and it made me want to make one for all us. my aunt has been raving about the vinaigrette from Nobu (recipe here) which gave it an asian kick but it would also be good with a drizzle of quality olive oil and a squeeze of lemon. we also used pearl mozzarella instead of the more traditional feta that you often see in these types of salads and i much preferred the mozzarella for its milder taste, it didn’t over power the other flavors. also, as a side note – i just read an article about why homemade salads aren’t as good as restaurant salads and they said it’s important to salt your greens. seems obvious but something i often overlook. what are you making these days? i’m always looking for new ideas. especially quick, easy dinners that include some type of vegetable because i’m terrible at eating them! – joanie
what you’ll need
• 2 cups uncooked farro
• 1 cucumber
• 1 lemon
• 1 pint cherry tomatoes
• red onion
• fresh herbs of your choosing – parsley, mint, cilantro (whatever you have on hand!)
• peral mozzarella
• start by cooking your farro as it will take about 30 minutes or so. then chop all of your veggies, this salad is super adaptable so you can easily edit with what you have on hand. mix up the dressing (recipe here!). put a large spoonful of farro in a bowl, top as desired with chopped vegetables and cheese, drizzle with dressing and serve!
we made it to spring! i know i live in southern california so i don’t feel the rest of the country’s pain when i say this but, it does feel like the winter went by really quickly and that it was relatively painless in terms of snow fall and freezing temperatures. regardless, los angeles is currently in bloom and i’ve got color on my mind.
with the weather still chilly i think that shoes are the easiest way to ease yourself into spring. they’re fun and colorful without leaving you totally bare and subject to the wind chill. you can wear them with full pants or a skirt and sweater combo and they’ll see you right on into summer without missing a beat. and they’re perfect for any warm weather vacations you might have on the horizon! – joanie
– J.Crew pom sandal ($198 but currently 30% off that!) – pom sandals are all the rage and i like that these are caged, meaning they come all the way up on the side. lots of sizes still available so order fast!
– Charlotte Stone slides ($215) – i recently discovered charlotte stone and i’m loving all of her shoes, especially her spring collection. so many fun colors!
– Sam Edelman block heel mules ($100) – i love the orange and the chunkiness of the block heel makes them very flattering on the leg.
– Loeffler Randall silver tassel sandals ($250) – i’ve had my eye on these for awhile. they’re perfect chic and practical to dress up or down.
– Loft strappy heels ($89) – the soft pink and cut outs on the toe make this shoe look much more expensive then it is.
– Mansur Gavriel crossover sandal (sold out) – i know it’s rude to temp you with a sold out shoe but just use it as inspiration for next time you’re shoe shopping. flat heel, soft hue, crossover, it’s perfect and sure to be duplicated by other brands down the road.
– Matiko fringe slides ($132) – i’ve seen several versions of this shoe for a lot more money and i love the color combo on this one.
– J.Crew berry print flat ($148 but currently 30% off!) – the cutest, sweetest print you ever did see.
– Lule mule ($350) – they come in so many great colors but i think the ultra pink is my favorite. it’s closed toed so you could wear when it’s cold but in a summery color to transitional with the seasons.
THINGS THAT MADE ME HAPPY TODAY!!
(sources unknown, photo 4, rita here)