have i mentioned how much i love throwing parties? it really is my happy place. everything from creating the inspiration board, selecting the menu, hiring the vendors and then seeing it all come together and spending an evening with some of the people i love, it’s all just the best. so it was an instant yes when our friends at vitamix asked if i could put together a little friendsgiving celebration. i wanted to create a twist on the classic thanksgiving meal by creating an entirely vegetarian menu and also using a slightly less traditional color scheme of soft purples and pinks (how about that velvet table cloth!?)
we rented the tableware from our friends at casa de perrin (they just opened an online shop!) and paired a graphic charger with the soft tones of the heath salad plate. we rented the linens from la tavola, a resource we just discovered and they have a huge selection. the tablecloth was rose colored velvet and the napkins iridescent pink.
Simone LeBlanc created individual gift boxes for all of the guests, her presentation could not be prettier or more elegant. i love the hand-painted wooden boxes with the swipe of gold paint and the chic black vases. it really is all about the details. each guest received a matte black vase and dried flowers to arrange their very own unique floral piece.
and of course my girl moon canyon killed it with the flowers. the bold hues she brought in really made the whole thing pop. the menu was filled with comfort foods, mashed potatoes (made by victoria, she makes the best ones!), mac and cheese, broccoli with chili flakes and lemon, harvest salad with dill avocado dressing (we’re sharing the recipe below!), caramelized onion and tomato quiche and we finished it off with chocolate cake. it was a lot of food!
harvest salad with avocado dill dressing
what you’ll need:
• 2 cups of walnuts
• 6 cups of your favorite lettuce mixture
• crisp apples
for the dressing:
• 1 ripe avocado
• 1 teaspoon of salt
• 2 gloves of garlic
• 5-7 sprigs of dill
• 1/4 cup greek yogurt
• 1/2 cup buttermilk
• 2 tablespoons avocado oil
• start by caramelizing your walnuts, melt the 2 tablespoons butter with 1/2 cup sugar in a pan, add the the nuts and stir until caramelized, don’t over cook, they will burn easily! immediately transfer to a bowl so it doesn’t stick to your pan. add the salad greens, sliced apples and pom seeds in a bowl, top with the nuts.
• for the dressing, combine everything but the avocado oil into you Vitamix, turn it on speed 1 and slow increase to 4, once at 4 remove the lid and slowly add your avocado oil in a steady (thin!) stream. increase the speed to 6 and then you’re done! if you like the dressing to be thinner add a little more buttermilk. this is great on salads but also with sliced veggies as a dip!
we also served small glasses of egg nog to guests as they arrived. we often like our nog spiked but kept this version virgin! one of my favorite Vitamix tricks ever is the fact that you can make whipped cream in seconds in your blender. simply pour your whipping cream in with whatever sweater you’d like, i prefer a small splash of maple syrup and blend on high for about 25 seconds, (do not over blend or you’ll have butter!)!
what you’ll need:
• 2 eggs (organic!)
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 1 quart whole milk
• pinch of salt
• 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
• 1 pint whipping cream
how to make it:
• make the whipped cream as directed above, remove from blender and set aside
• put the 2 eggs in the blender and mix slowly for 20 seconds, add the remaining ingredients and blend for 30 more seconds. pour into glasses, top with fresh whipped cream and a sprinkle of nutmeg.
our favorite, helen’s wine, did the wine for the night and they were honestly some of the best i’ve ever had. she has taught me so much about selecting wines from producers who don’t have any additives and all of the wines we drank that night were organic and amazing. GAMAY forever!
it was a perfect night that ended in a dance party and left me feeling so grateful for the ladies in my life! thanks so much to our sponsor Vitamix who always lets me express my creativity in our partnerships. our Vitamix is the copper one available here if you’re interested!
and a special thanks to our girl victoria who let us take over her home and host the party in her beautiful backyard!