peaches are one of my favorite summer fruits and these pancakes hit the spot. ivan has been itching to make these for months and it’s finally stone fruit season, so here they are! the fresh whipped cream and grilled peach combo is perfect! you could honestly skip the pancake portion and just eat the peaches and cream on their own. – joanie
makes 8 servings
what you’ll need:
• 2 cups wholewheat flour
• 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 3 cups buttermilk
• 2 eggs
• 3 tablespoons coconut oil
• slivered almonds as garnish
• maple syrup
• 2 large peaches sliced
• in a large bowl mix wholewheat flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside. in a separate bowl, separate the egg whites and whip with an electric beater until peaks form. add in the egg yolks and beat until incorporated with the egg whites.
• combine all the wet and dry ingredients. we used a griddle to cook our pancakes but a nonstick pan will work as well. heat the griddle on medium. grease the cooking surface with butter and pour half a cup of batter. Cook for about 1-2 minutes or until bubbles begin to form. flip and continue to cook for an additional minute.
lemon curd whipped cream:
• 2 tablespoons lemon curd
• half a cup heavy whipping cream
I love making this whipped cream, not because it only takes a minute or two to make but that it also it has the perfect balance of tart and creaminess that ties in all the flavors of this recipe. In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the heavy cream until soft peaks form. add 2 tablespoons of lemon curd and mix well for another few seconds.
on the same griddle or outdoor grill, grill the sliced peaches for about 30 seconds on each side. or until they are darker in color as the natural sugars have caramelized a bit. we found it easier to spray some non stick coconut oil cooking spray onto the cooking surface.
to assemble the pancakes, top with the lemon curd whipped cream, grilled peaches, garnish with almond slices and maple syrup.
styling by: joanie cusack and ivan solis
photos by: ivan solis
i just got back from mexico city last week and had a really great time. this is my third trip with el camino travel (nicaragua here, colombia here) they always plan such amazing experiences, so i’m always happy to go on these trips! they handle all the travel details, find all the cool spots, and even send a photographer to capture the trip. makes travel very easy. they are also doing customized itineraries if you want them to plan your next trip.
now…here’s a peek inside our mexico city trip with my two girlfriends, anna and denise.
we checked into our little bed and breakfast, chaya, on the rooftop and i was so impressed with it. there were so many unique details, plants all over the place, great authentic breakfast every morning, and such a cozy vibe. we really loved staying there.
CLICK THROUGH TO SEE THE WHOLE TRAVEL POST…
brigitte bardot, what a summer dream! i’m fulllly embracing the summer this year and taking some notes from brigitte’s 70’s style. hope everyone had a blast over the holiday weekend. it’s sure not easy getting back into a normal routine, eh?