Archive for the ‘HEALTHY LIVING’ Category
it has been awhile since we did a #dlfgetfit check in and i’ll be honest and say that 2016 hasn’t involved much working out for me. i was on a crazy travel schedule and consistency just wasn’t possible. all of my trips did involve a ton of walking which was good but i definitely needed to step it up a bit. i’m back in LA for awhile now and have been refocusing my energy on creating a manageable fitness schedule. that joanie, she always has a way of bringing me back to this healthy side.
last year when we started this challenge i really dove in head first and took it super seriously. i completely changed how i ate and went from working out zero to 5 days a week. looking back, i think setting that pace for the start wasn’t really manageable for me. i went full force for awhile and then completely burned out. so this time around i’m focusing on consistency and setting myself up for long term success. i shifted from doing all different types of workouts to just one studio and that has been a great adjustment. i realized that i need structure and moving around all the time wasn’t providing that for me. i also realized that i needed a place that doesn’t allow for an excuses, no lack of parking, or super busy studio. basically, don’t give me a reason to skip my workout because i will take it. and so far it’s worked, i’ve started by committing to just two days a week which i know doesn’t sound like a lot but it’s better then my zero. and i hope to increase it to three days a week in the next few weeks.
i’m working out half on the treadmill, and half pilates. the class size is small, it’s close to my house and i’m actually loving the running portion. well…i don’t love it while i’m doing it but i love the feeling afterwards and it’s been cool to watch myself get faster and faster. i’ve probably only gone about 8 times so far and i am already seeing small changes in my body and mind. i’m excited to see the real results!
shop bras: left and right
shop outfit: here
shop shoes: colorful adidas and black and white nikes
i must admit…this part is the hardest for me. still struggling with the same story…i eat out too often during the week, and with a travel schedule it’s hard to limit myself and feel like i’m not depriving myself of something i want to do. eating and drinking is FUN. but, i do know that if you want results with your body you have to put in the work. there aren’t a lot of shortcuts. so i’ve been cutting back on drinking during the week. i guess i don’t really neeeeed that glass of wine or two with dinner. it’s probably more of a habit anyway. and i don’t keep unhealthy food in my house. if i stay in more, i’m bound for success, right? usually the working out kickstarts the healthier eating, so i am just waiting for that to kick in honestly.
so where are you at in the fitness journey? are you working out, struggling for motivation, killing it and never felt better? we’d love to hear. health and fitness is a journey and we all need as much love and support as we can get!
want more healthy posts? click here for motivation
top photo from our #dlfgetfit hastag
This recipe has been adopted after a similar lunch i like to have at cafe gratitude in my neighborhood. it has so much flavor and it’s guilt free! I like to make this at the beginning of the week in large batches since the ingredients keep well in the refrigerator for a few days and make a convenient lunch.
HEALTHY VEGGIE BOWL
makes 5 servings
• 2 medium sized sweet potatoes
• 2 cups kale de-stemmed
• 1 jar pickled turnips (found in health food stores)
• 1 cup quinoa
• 1 cup brown rice
• black sesame seeds as garnish
• 2 tablespoons cashews as garnish
• 1/2 cup olive oil
• 1 lemon squeezed
• 3 garlic cloves
• 2 cups basil
• 3 tablespoons pine nuts
• salt and pepper to taste
• In a medium sized sauce pan drop 1 cup of quinoa with two cups of water. Bring to a boil on medium heat and reduce to low. Stirring occasionally for about 20 minutes or until tender and water has absorbed. Repeat the same process for the brown rice with two cups of water. Brown rice tends to take around 40 minutes to cook.
• Thoroughly wash and slice two medium sized sweet potatoes. Place in a medium sized pot and fill with water until it is just about covered. Cook on low heat for about 30 minutes or until tender when poked with a fork. If you also have a steamer, it is another great option to cook your sweet potatoes, just fill the bottom with around 2 inches of water. Once hot steam for about 7 minutes.
• In a separate small pot fill with water and 2 teaspoons of salt, bring to a boil on high heat. De-stem and wash the kale and drop into the boiling water for about 30- 45 seconds to blanch the kale. This process will slightly soften the texture of the leafy greens and add some flavor. You will notice a bright green will emerge from the kale, this will let you know it is ready. Remove the kale and place in a strainer to slightly cool.
• For the pesto sauce, we used a vitamix blender. We found it more efficient to use and easier cleanup than making the pesto in a food processor. Cut the steams of the basil and drop into the blender. Next add the garlic, olive oil, the juice of a squeezed lemon and the pine nuts. Salt and pepper to taste. Blend on the lowest setting first and gradually increase the speed until ingredients are finely blended. This process only took about 30-45 seconds.
• Begin layering your veggie bowl with the brown rice and quinoa. Next add your toppings of sweet potatoes and braised kale. Add a side of pickled turnips. Place a generous amount of pesto and garish your bowl with black sesame seeds and cashews. The flavors of the pesto and pickled turnips bring every flavor together. Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did!
photos and styling by: ivan solis
running. hate it. i can think of 10,000 things i would rather be doing. but! if i can just get myself out that door, i’m never sorry i’ve done it. there are a lot of reasons i run (or fast walk) but the most important reason for me is mental clarity. i feel so much lighter and happier after a couple of miles and a good sweat.
my little running crew, joanie and my sister lacey and I meet up every so often and run it out. it’s easier to find motivation with a crew, than just by yourself. joanie likes to tell us, as we run, all of the positive things running is doing for our bodies, it’s pretty cheesy but actually works to distract your mind.
something we’ve been using lately (because as much fun as it is to talk to each other while working out, it’s too hard to breathe, talk and run at the same time) so we will talk during warm up and then all use the spotify running feature, which is actually very cool and super simple. to use it you select “running” from the side bar, click a playlist, start running and it chooses music that co-insides with your pace, (can be running or walking!). so if you start out running 10 minute miles and want to speed up for the last mile, the music will change so that the beat matches your stride which is seriously amazing because music is half of my motivation when i run.
we use spotify exclusively around the office for work jams, i use it in my car, for all my parties…it’s the best. so i’m happy they added this cool workout feature.
they also created original running beats, they don’t have lyrics but they are just straight music that you can also run to, i’m particularly fond of the “burn” one if you want to check it out.
what do you run for? my main motivation is mental clarity, but i’d love to hear what gets you out the door. and if you already use the spotify running feature, or happen to check it out let me know below what your favorite playlists and genres are, i’m always looking to mix it up!
don’t forget to enter the giveaway below for the opportunity to win a running motivating prize pack! because who doesn’t need a little extra push?
SPOTIFY RUNNING GIVEAWAY!*
• 1 pair of bose soundsport in-ear headphones
• $75 nike gift card
• 1 year premium subscription to spotify
• and healthy snacks!
here’s how to win…
1) let us know your favorite Spotify playlist or fill in the blank “will run for _______” in a comment below and we’ll select one winner!
open to US only, 18 years of age and older. one winner will be randomly selected and notified on wednesday november 11th. you must claim your prize within 48 hours or a new winner will be selected.
* the prize was provided by spotify, but spotify is not involved in any other way with this giveaway. this post was created in partnership with spotify. all opinions are my own
photos by: jesse chamberlin
it’s been about two months since we’ve checked in with you about our healthy living posts! we are still keeping it up around here. after two weeks of family vacation and a nasty cold…i’m back at it.
CLICK THROUGH TO READ THE WHOLE POST…
this week, read about how we are getting motivated all over again…sometimes it’s hard to stay on track, right?!
CLICK THROUGH TO READ THE WHOLE POST…