05.17.17

THIS FEELS BIG TO ME

gorman clothing | creative direction: bri emery photography: jesse chamberlin

okay, i am very excited to be writing this post. i’ve been saying for a while on here that i want to get into more creative direction for other brands. i’ve done quite a bit of it on this blog over the past 8 years, working with companies on sponsored posts, creating events, doing photoshoots and style posts for fun. i finally got to this point where i wanted to feel more confident with the title outside of the designlovefest brand and taking my vision to other companies and executing it. because while designlovefest is my #1 love and i will still be pursuing it on a daily basis, i feel like i have multiple facets to my style. i would love to have a brand come to me and jesse (photographer), and be able to create a complete look and feel for them, an entire photoshoot with a story that comes to life. sometimes i’m constrained within my own brand here, because well, it’s a brand that has its own identity already. and i like that. but i also wanted to be able to break those bounds and be experimental with each shoot we do. it’s my hope that people will still be interested in following my side path on this blog as well. and if not, that’s okay too!

gorman clothing | creative direction: bri emery photography: jesse chamberlin

so, this is our first real photoshoot together with that goal in mind. we made a list of brands we love and decided to just go for it. gorman is a clothing brand i fell in love with when i visited melbourne australia with blogshop a few years ago. it’s such a bright, happy, fun, daring company. we presented them with the idea of an LA love story. a girl who starts off in the pits of heartbreak, goes through it, feels mixed emotions and eventually ends up on the other side of that darkness. most of us have been through heartbreak in our lives and can relate to the extreme ups and downs. i wanted it to resonate with people in whatever stage they are experiencing. (i’ve been here a few times in my life, that’s for sure) the finale is her writing on a fogged up car window and it says “end to begin,” which is something you just gotta do in that situation, right? let me take you through the story…and seriously thank you SO much for your support. jesse and i have been texting each other crying emojis because we’re so happy to have each other and being able to create art together that people are interested in is truly amazing.

gorman clothing | creative direction: bri emery photography: jesse chamberlin

her heart was in 100 pieces.

the phase where you lounge around in silence or listen to sad music to make you even sadder. it hurts down to your bones. it’s so depressing it’s almost beautiful.

gorman clothing | creative direction: bri emery photography: jesse chamberlin

all i think about is you, you, you…

you’re driving around and pass your favorite restaurant together, and then that song comes on the radio that reminds you of them, and you can still hear their voice…it’s consuming, irritating, distracting. they are everywhere you turn.

gorman clothing | creative direction: bri emery photography: jesse chamberlin

SEE THE WHOLE STORY AFTER THE JUMP…

FEELINGS

when you find yourself in bed, not only for sleeping. but for feeling it. or because you’re tired and just don’t want to talk to anyone. and the pep talks from your friends just aren’t working. you just want to lay in bed and feel sorry for yourself. i remember this one well.

gorman clothing | creative direction: bri emery photography: jesse chamberlin

let’s see how it shakes out.

eventually you get pretty tired of the sad music and the lonely hearts club. you need a distraction. you go out dancing, you put on makeup, you’re obviously still thinking about your situation but at least there’s a glimmer of happiness that you start to see. you are trying.

things are wishy washy.

the middle phase is confusing. you feel hopeful. less sad, more angry. you feel closer to this neutral phase. it doesn’t necessarily feel great, but it’s better. you are almost used to your loneliness now, and maybe even starting to like it.

this is a sign.

there has to be a reason for this. there’s something to be learned here. maybe you’re looking back at your relationship and it’s becoming more clear. you are seeing it for what it was, and not just what you wanted it to be. the cloud is starting to lift and you are seeing this time as an opportunity. finally, you feel more in control of your feelings and decide to make use of them.

gorman clothing | creative direction: bri emery photography: jesse chamberlin

don’t look back in anger.

because it’s really easy to stay mad. it’s a terrible feeling to go through, and that phase of anger is normal. i really feel that you have moved on once the anger moves through you. you aren’t thinking about it daily anymore. you can laugh at those sad ass songs you were listening to, you can even remember the fond memories. it happened in your life, no need to regret it.

i am beautiful.

you shouldn’t put a timer on when you will feel yourself again. i remember feeling embarrassed for how long it took for me to get to this point. but we all have a lot of stuff to work through, and usually a relationship can bring those all up. but hold on to that time in your life when you feel beautiful, and powerful, and finally start to love yourself again. you leave your house and have a skip in your step. you go to sleep at night with nobody on your mind, and it feels amazing.

end to begin.

no more dwelling on the past. it’s time to move forward, in whatever that means for you. take your time. you can only get to this point naturally, it cannot be forced (which is pretty annoying, but very true) it sounds a little cheesy, but we all know it’s true. once you love yourself is when you get to this point where you can love someone else again. it’s a clean slate. you are having fun. you are getting out there. you are ready.

and i would love if you would watch the gorgeous little video that margaret made from the day. so beautiful!

line

thank you to my amazing team for helping me put this story together…you made the day wonderful. can’t wait to do it all again soon…

photography: jesse chamberlin
creative direction: bri emery

clothing: gorman
model: autry haydon-wilson

stylist: joan cusack
props: natalie shriver
hair: ashley lynn hall
makeup: kelly shew
lighting: roman koval

assistant: ivan solis
video: margaret bienert

Erin says:

Absolutely LOVED reading this and the photos are amazing. It’s so relatable ! What a beautiful journey, excited for you!

bri says:

thank you erin!!

Monarose Ryan says:

I have been following your blog since nearly the beginning and it has been a joy to watch you grow—not only in your artistry and success but as a person. Thank you for your honesty and your bravery. Without knowing you personally, I am thankful, honored, and proud to see your progress.
    I cannot wait to see what other facets of your self/work come to light and continue to wish you only the best!

bri says:

gave me goosebumps, thank you dear. xx

Loved this so much, Bri. I’m coming out of a divorce and am somewhere in between “things are wishy washy” and “this is a sign”, with maybe a little of all the other phases mashed in there. Heartbreak tears you up in such an honestly embarrassing way–I’m a strong women. I don’t need a man! But th best and deepest relationships involve our whole selves and it truly is a death when one ends. Thank you and your team for the vulnerability of this shoot. It gives me hope that one day, maybe very far down the road, I will get to the beginning again.

Would love to collaborate if you’re ever in Austin and need photography or styling!

Best, Taylor Prinsen

Diana says:

This is awesome and I’m looking forward to seeing more of your experiments/shoots! 🙂

jessica says:

I love this so much and can’t wait to see more! I’m the only creative type in my friend group and it can feel lonely here… I’m so glad I have your blog and Instagram to visit, you are truly an inspiration, Bri. xo

ev says:

exciting to see you branch out in this way. also, I like this post because I feel more of “Bri’s heart” as opposed to recipe posts…which are cool, but not personal, ya know? great stuff!

Katie says:

This is one of my favorite posts! Love what you are doing, can’t wait to see where this next chapter takes you 🙂

NAILED IT. SUPERSTARS!! XX

joy says:

so beautiful!

san says:

completely beautiful, the scenes, the message. Love to read your blog, thanks for sharing this story

Yvonne says:

Hi Bri – been a reader for a long time. I fell in love with your blog because of your old style posts. I loved your visual style and was always drawn to your creativity. I have been missing those posts in recent years and am SOOOO glad that you decided to come back to this kind of visual storytelling. This is your strength. Go get it and you will truly shine. Congrats!

Kailey says:

One of my absolute favorite projects you’e shared, I’m incredibly excited to see you doing more of this!

Emily says:

Bri I LOVE THIS! I’ve been follwing DLF for years and this is one of my favorite posts EVER. This entire shoot is amazing, from the concept to the execution to the clothes (THOSE CLOTHES) I’m so excited to see more!! Congratulations to you and your team for such phenomenal work!!

laura says:

unreal! i love this so much. exactly how i felt… glad that passed. thank you for putting this into words and pictures. beautiful, inspirational, universal, and refreshingly new. lots of love & congrats!

Emee says:

I dig everything about this. Brava!

Ash says:

Seriously SO excited for you, Bri! It’s so incredible watching you follow your passion. This is SO GOOD. Keep shining!!

Abbey says:

Gorgeous and amazing!!!! Keep it up ladies + your team! I can’t to see more of these :)))

Elisha says:

So so chilling! I loved these photos and think you should make them all into prints 😉

Beth Coulson says:

This is soooo beautiful and bold.

Jade Sheldon says:

I ADORE THIS SHOOT. SO MUCH. When you were showing images & videos on instagram stories all I could think about was, wow, I hope I get to work with them someday. As an artist, as a photographer, as a model, whatever! I just want to be around fun creative supportive talented creatures. So excited you decided to go for it!

this is such a beautiful shoot! Love all of it. The outfits suit their surroundings so well. You’ve done an amazing job! xx

Jen says:

I love this post💜!! I’m going through a very big breakup. I just got divorced and it’s something that’s really hurting and it’s gonna be like this for a while.
    But it’s not the end and better days will come for me. Thanks for this post. It gave me some light again.
    Beautiful photography!!

Larissa says:

clapclapclap!!! #endtobegin

Sarah says:

Really nice and seems like a good steps to take to move forward in your career and development! All the luck x

Carrie says:

Just stunning, Bri…Can’t WAIT to see (and hear) more!!!!

Sarolta says:

This is just so amazing! These pictures make me dream and hope (though I’m not even heartbroken) and I want to print them and hang them on my wall. This is just the most perfect art direction. Thank you for sharing these beauties 🙂

Andrea says:

I love that it ends in strength and an up note. So many fashion spreads have a negative depiction of women with violence or weakness being beautified. This is empowering!

Larissa says:

When I saw these on your instaStories, I was immediately blown way by the art direction and concept! Absolutely LOVED IT! Thank you for sharing the story 🙂

Lexi says:

This is fantastic! Congratulations on spreading your wings even further. Can’t wait to see more!

mary says:

This is amazing <3

Laura says:

Superb Bri! Congratulations on all those amazing pictures.

leann says:

this is SO cool. thought of my own situation years ago as i was scrolling through the pictures and reading every single caption. “Don’t look back in anger” is very wise and resonates with me. This also feels like a taylor swift song in the form of photography and i love it. Congratulations on yet another successful project, bri 🙂

180360 says:

you guys are brilliant. i love everything about this concept. inspiring, indeed!

Samantha Lee says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE literally everything about this shoot! I was following along on Insta-Stories and couldn’t wait to see the final images. They are so dreamy, and I’m so excited to see where y’all go from here!! Saving this for inspiration. <3

Josephine says:

Gorgeous photos. You girls did good!!!

Danna says:

I love this new direction, so much. Side projects are the best. Excited to see more.

Jess says:

Love love love this whole series. 😍

Katie Harvey says:

A-MA-ZING! So, so good Bri – I love it!

Jessica says:

A time where this is literally my life, it feels so good to read. A sense of comfort during this time, thanks for sharing. Beautiful story

Your photos are amazing and your stories inspiring, thank you so much for this post.

Such a beautiful and relatable vision, creative direction and story! Love, love, love.

Becky says:

Hi Bri and team,

It’s been almost a year since my boyfriend of 7 years and I broke up. It’s taking me a long time to get over it and it’s one of the most painful things I’ve ever had to go through. I still cry about it and hurt from it because although it was an amicable break-up, it’s hard to let go. Your photos and story hit so many pain points for me and I’m still (slowly) going through the process, but it’s comforting knowing that other people have gone through this and end up even better for it. Thank you for sharing something that is so emotional, painful, and personal. This is the kind of stuff that has been keeping me following you for years. So much love to you and your wonderful team.

B.

Jessie says:

Congrats to Bri, Jesse & the team – these pics are gorgeous! I’m a Melbourne girl & I love how you have taken the Gorman clothing & elevated it. Hope they get you on board from some local campaigns because this is so special. Can’t wait to see what you talented bunch create with other brands!

Amy says:

I love this. The incorporation of text to frame the story is is interesting and very tricky to nail. I really like how you’ve included it many of the settings (movie theatre, writing on the window and neon sign in particular)- I personally think the bathroom scene, the balloon scene and the dancing scene (my least fav) wld have been better without the text. Sometimes more is less right? And it has the added benefit of allowing people to find their own story or meaning in the work. Overall great though. Thanks for sharing. Xo

Ashlee says:

Wow!!!!! I can not explain what that photoshops meant o me!!! So beautiful!!

Eva says:

Love this so much I’ll be sharing it on my blog! I wish I had someone to collaborate with to this extent! P.S. I’m obsessed with the filters on these images – any tips?

This looks amazing, Bri! So excited to see what’s next in your new collaborations.

Jenni says:

I can’t tell you how much I needed this and the impact it made on me. Thank you.