05.02.17

JOURNAL DAYS

675787f5d89ee6e314fa5192ed1326ef

journaling used to be such a huge part of my life. and i always get nostalgic about my high school journal days when i see photos of people’s sketchbooks and diaries. there is something so interesting about them, right? raw emotions, self expression, confessions, documentation. i found a bunch of photos of them on pinterest this morning and figured i’d share. did you keep a journal, or do you have one now? maybe i’ll get back to it…

71043e1f2643d678299bf837aa315dae

637df45a68e2b5882c25fbbeb36fb8f7

55104b75e5632c294896c82b64bc18a9
fdbe97fcb9a089a3af64107f76e0391d
5508d47de8f47743a5b169ed6596be75
62159dadcd418767887ec6d2efe7e9d1

Samantha Lee says:

I used to journal as a kid – then I transitioned into online journaling with Xanga (anyone remember that?!), and then naturally transitioned with my current blog. Some people are intense with journaling (in a good way! and as these photos show)- I love seeing how artistic they can be. Love that quote “I can do this, I thought.Then; and even if I can’t, I have to.” <3

bri says:

i had a xanga too. bad poetry and feelings all the time. i think we had the same path 🙂

A says:

Do you have original links for all of these? I’m interested in following along with these artists!

bri says:

sadly i don’t! found a bunch of them on tumblr and pinterest with no links. i know a few of them are leah goren who i love!

Stephanie says:

I used to keep a visual journal as well. It was filled with images I loved from fashion magazines and quotes or song lyrics. I recently found a stack of pages I had torn out of magazines at my parents house – all outfits I liked or celebrity crushes. I’m tempted to get a sketch book and glue them all in almost as a way to document what I was into and tearing from magazines even though that was so many years ago!

Natalie says:

I wish I was more creative with my journalling. But I can never stick to it. The one thing I do stick with is a sentence a day about something good, which I’ve been really enjoying and doing for 2 years now. It serves as a good reminder even if it isn’t super beautiful

– Natalie

Louise Ramos says:

These journal spreads are so inspiring! I still keep one, but I don’t write and draw as much as I used to. Slowly getting back at it though. I’m on day 3 of a 15-day writing workshop which I will share about soon, and thank you because this is just the boost I need.

xo, Lou | Caffeine Rush

I love this post! This was just the inspiration I needed 🙂

Diane says:

I use to have a visual journal with photos and quotes. Actually I was sharing it with my friends! I miss those days!

Janel A says:

Ohhh my journal/creative outlet/original pinterest!! haha love that thing and still get so inspired (and a little impressed with myself) when I look through it!

Allison Tree says:

I used to journal on and off during high school. One night, before I went off to college, I tore it to pieces and put the whole thing – torn to bits – in a plastic ziplock bag. I remember thinking it sort of represented being a teenager; it wasn’t a nice coherent journal, but just shreds of thoughts stuffed into something plastic and see through. I wish I had it now – it would certainly be a good laugh!

Kathrin says:

These are wonderful examples of journal books I wish I had the time to create a book like this, I only write some words about what I did the day and thats it, maybe because I’m creative in my job there’s no more time to be creative in the free time I think.
    Greetings Kathrin

Heather says:

Soooo now I went back and looked at your old blog and its such a time capsule! It’s really cool to see where it all began for you. It also reminds me of the things we were all into and the way we internet-ed back then. (feeling old yet? yikes. sorry.) Anyways, thanks for the rabbit hole Bri!

Anonymous says:

Noorunahar is the originator of the journal spread “if our emotions had colours..”. That is her original poetry. You can find her on YouTube, Instagram, Tumblr, bloglovin.