QUINOA CRUSTED CHICKEN SALAD
we just returned from a few days in austin where we indulged in so much good food. we were on a mission to try as many restaurants as possible in our short time there so we really had to pace ourselves. it was well worth it! now i’m back home and ready to get in the grove of cooking for myself instead of eating out. ivan has been wanting to make quinoa crusted chicken for awhile now and we decided to give it a go. i’m always a little cautious of recipes that require frying but this was simple and hard to mess up. you could season the chicken a number of ways and i also think it would work with zucchini to make it vegetarian. the salad can be a combination of anything you have on hand and want to throw together to make a “house salad” of sorts. and the dressing is from Ivan’s mom, it’s the right kick of lemon without being overpowering. you could also skip the salad and just make straight up chicken tenders, always a good option! – joanie
quinoa crusted chicken tenders:
• 3-4 thinly sliced chicken breasts
• 2 cups quinoa flakes (found in health food stores)
• 1 cup flour (seasoned with a bit of salt, pepper, oregano, smoked paprika or Italian seasoning)
• salt and pepper
• 2 eggs whisked
• 3 romaine hearts
• 1 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes halved
• 1 medium cucumber diced
• 1 cup shaved parmesan
• 1 12oz jar of artichoke hearts (jarred not canned!)
• 1/4 cup olive oil
• 1 lemon juiced
• 1 tablespoon rice vinegar (more to taste)
• 1 teaspoon mustard
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1 teaspoon dried oregano
• I like to buy chicken breasts that are already thinly sliced, it cuts down on cooking time and cooks more evenly. you could always pound the chicken breast too to make it thinner. cut the chicken breasts into long strips. season with salt and pepper. whip two eggs in a small bowl and set aside. coat the chicken in the flour, continue to dip each one in the egg and then coat with the quinoa flakes. quinoa flakes are steam rolled, so cooking them ahead of time is not necessary. if you can’t find them in store you can buy them here on amazon.
• in a medium frying pan, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil on medium heat. cook the chicken for about 3 minutes on each side or until golden brown. set aside on paper towels to absorb excess oil.
• to make the salad, chop the romaine hearts and add the cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, artichoke hearts, and parmesan cheese. for the dressing, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, rice vinegar, mustard, salt and dried oregano in a small bowl and whisk together. drizzle over the salad and toss! top with the chicken and enjoy!