BREAKFAST IN BED
happy valentine’s day! let’s all celebrate by making breakfast in bed for ourselves or someone we love! i’m not exactly sure what makes breakfast in bed feel like such a luxury but it certainly feels like one. since childhood it has been something that i look forward to. there are seven children in my family and we’d each get waffles in bed on our birthday. all of my siblings and parents would come in together singing happy birthday carrying a plate with a homemade waffle the size of my head and it felt exciting, every time.
the waffle recipe i use now is one i adapted from allrecipes.com and it’s the perfect amount of crunch on the outside with soft in the center. the trick is beating the egg whites on their own before adding the yolk. for this post we decided to make them chocolate by adding cocoa powder but that’s an addition that you can easily leave out. also, this recipe only requires one bowl making it a very practical recipe to whip together in the early morning hours. we hope you enjoy your day celebrating all of the love in your life and all of the love you give to others! – joanie
serves 8 (the batter keeps for one week in an air tight container in the refrigerator, mix well before using)
• 2 eggs
• 2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1 3/4 cups milk
• 1/2 cup coconut oil
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• 2 tablespoon white sugar
• 4 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 2 tablespoons cacao powder (optional)
• topping options: strawberries, whipped cream, pomegranate seeds, maple syrup…
• separate your eggs and beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. then beat in the egg yolks. add all of the other ingredients and mix until just incorporated.
• heat your waffle iron to medium/high heat, add batter and cook until browned on the outside (don’t undercook as they’ll get soggy!)
• serve hot with coffee and toppings!
styling by: joanie cusack and ivan solis
photos by: ivan solis