STOCKHOLM TRAVEL GUIDE + WIN THIS TRIP FOR TWO!
get ready for one of those loooooong full of details travel posts i love putting together! this time we have stockholm to explore, what we ate, where we shopped, and drank, and the sights we saw. visit stockholm and Scandanavian airlines have put together an amazing contest to WIN A TRIP FOR TWO to stockholm and basically do exactly what we did. stay at the same hotel, get cool travel tips, free flights…you gotta enter! read how to enter right here.
getting to stockholm is a trek from LA, but Scandanavian airlines now has a non-stop flight that cuts 5 hours out of your travel day. that was a TREAT. we flew economy plus and i was able to stretch out and sleep almost the whole flight which was ideal. they also have a great lounge in stockholm if you are chronically early for flights like me and have some time to kill.
when we arrived we checked into the haymarket by scandic hotel and WOW WOW WOW. so many beautiful art deco details everywhere. it felt like i had walked into the grand budapest hotel from the wes anderson movie. just so much thought went into all of the design.
we loved the bar, loved the breakfast buffet, loved the pink restaurant greta’s. really, it was all amazing. the location is in more of an expensive, shopping area…but if that’s not your thing uber and the subway is easily available. and the city is pretty walkable too!
greta’s, you were SPECIAL.
i liked walking around in södermalm and vasastan neighborhoods the most. vasastan feels more residential but is calm and adorable. södermalm is more hip and lively with creative energy. shops on every corner. it sort of feels like williamsburg in NY or silver lake in LA.
• brandstation for quirky cool interior decor!
• ginkgo, a pretty cactus/plant store!
actually one of my favorite things on the trip was exploring the amazing subway art and finding the cool stations! just look…
the subway stations pictured above: Kungsträdgården, Stadion, Mörby Centrum, and T-Centralen, Brunkebergstunneln.
the sun goes down very early in the winter (around 3pm!) so one evening we headed to moderna museet to wander around looking at art. loved seeing matisse and discovering a new artist i fell in love with, moki cherry and her incredible banners. such gorgeous colors!
we also went to the fotografiska, the photography museum, and loved it! definitely a must see.
here are a few of my favorite FOOD spots…
• greasy spoon was our first breakfast there. a good lookin diner with a killer eggs benedict. and love that neon egg!
• vina, a cozy little spot, perfect for a date. and my all time favorite soup from the trip!
• babette, we had amazing wine and LOVED our white pizza!
• vete katten, the bakery right by our hotel. pretty pastries, a great place to have tea with a friend.
• woodstockholm, the restaurant was super cute. intimate. experimental food. they were projecting a video of julia child on the wall. i honestly didn’t love my meal, but the wine was right up my alley.
• my favorite lunch spot was barobao. a delicious vietnamese meal with a great interior!
• fabrique is another bakery with lots of eye candy! love this hip street in södermalm (there are many fabrique in stockholm, this one is located on a street called Götgatan).
• nytorget 6. we met a few friends there for lunch and got the burger. YUM!
• meatballs for the people we stumbled in here, quite jetlagged on our first night and had meatballs on top of mashed potatoes and were quite happy about it. plus the rustic wooden tables with classic scandanavian touches.
• the hairy pig deli in gamla stan (the old town). we ducked in here one cold and windy day for a drink and a hot cheese sandwich. this spot is beyond charming.
• drop coffee in södermalm, two thumbs up.
• svartengrens was a great, lively bar and dinner spot.
• bar hommage. loved this spot! and DEFinitely get the cauliflower in the brown butter. it was out of this world.
• indigo was a fun trendy spot in södermalm. more of a younger crowd, but fun!
the hotel bar at haymarket is actually reallllly good. we got the famous “far far away” drink that was served in a unique way.
our last day we met up with hanna and visit stockholm and explored and ate the whole day. then we celebrated my birthday until lateeeee. we only got about two hours of sleep, but it was worth it. such a fun trip with so many memories!!
don’t forget to enter for a chance to win your own trip to stockholm! it’s a BIG GIVEAWAY we’re hosting with Scandinavian Airlines, Visit Stockholm and Visit Sweden with a prize including 2 round trip airline tickets from LAX to stockholm, a 4 night hotel stay in the amaaazzinggg haymarket hotel! you have to enter, stockholm is so amazing!! (full terms and conditions of the “Stockholm Like a Local Contest” found here). as part of the prize, the winner will also receive two Stockholm kits containing: Jacket from Stutterheim Raincoats (obsessed with their coats!), head phones from Urban Ears, Spotify gift card, wristwatch from TID watches and a hat and a scarf from Filippa K. And, a personal Stockholm guide written by Hanna Stefansson.