12.05.16

MY FIRST HOME

my first home | designlovefest

i’ve owned my home now for just over a year and it has been a serious learning curve filled with many highs and some lows. buying my first home entirely by myself and as a single woman was something i felt really proud about, but it was also a lot more challenging then i expected. i was suddenly the one responsible for all of the maintenance, landscaping and repairs and that can be a huge paaaain. today i partnered with esurance to share honest stories about both the highlights and challenges of owning my home because there are always two sides to every coin!

my first home | designlovefest
my first home | designlovefest

a real highlight is being able to decorate everything just the way i like it from the paint colors (like my pink front door that you can see in the top photo!), to the light fixtures and making it feel truly like my own safe space. i still have a lot of things on my list to do, but i am taking it slow and not rushing anything. i had always rented before moving here and never felt like i could really invest in my home since it wasn’t actually mine so this has been a really nice change for me.

i recently finished my patio and hosted a 50 person party for my best friend’s wedding reception (the photo above is before everyone arrived!). we all stayed out there singing and laughing and dancing until 3am and those are memories i will never forget. i love hosting parties so having a space to do it makes me super happy.

my first home | designlovefest

having a guest room that i can have friends sleepover in is also awesome. i am always telling my out of town friends to visit and stay with me. last year i hosted my family for thanksgiving for the first time, which felt very adult i must say. it’s so nice to be able to make traditions here, picking out a christmas tree for the living room, friend holiday dinners, tuesday tv nights, practicing cooking with my boyfriend, having a safe place for my animals. i love that my home truly feels like home.

my first home | designlovefest
my first home | designlovefest

but it’s not all happy feelings around here, there are a lot of annoyances too. there was the time my water pipeline got clogged 15 minutes before i was hosting a work event with 30 people and water was overflowing from all the showers and toilets. and then the plumber came and told me it would cost $1,000 and may not even fix the problem. talk about stressful! there’s bills you don’t expect – property tax increases, closing costs,…things really add UP! my dishwasher and oven have needed repairs, my window cracked in my bedroom. all things i didn’t have to manage when i was renting. i’ve had to create an entire new list of resources for everything from plumber, landscaper to electrician.

my first home | designlovefest

homeownership can be both rewarding and scary. it’s a lot of responsibility and that’s why i appreciate how committed esurance is to simplifying the process of homeowners insurance. they have an easy to use app and website where you can pay your bills, file a claim, or talk to someone about your policy. i’m thankful that i haven’t had to file a claim yet but i appreciate knowing that i’m covered just in case anything should happen. if you’re looking for home or auto insurance i encourage you to check them out at esurance.com. do you own a home, what has been the biggest lesson you’ve learned or the most exciting part of the process? i’m sure future home buyers will appreciate the advice, i know i would have!

my first home | designlovefest
my first home | designlovefest

photos by: designlovefest
(this blog post is sponsored by Esurance. from quote to claim, Esurance is working to help you make smarter, more efficient choices with your home and auto insurance. using state-of-the-art technology, they offer a seamless online and mobile experience along with intuitive tools that help take the hassle out of insurance.)

Jess Zimlich says:

Love, love, love the boob rug in the bedroom. I want to get one for my sister!

Soma & Ulte says:

You should be proud of yourself!! And your house is beautiful, we’re big fans and even took your social medial class. It would mean so much to us if you would check out our blog and insta!

Jessica says:

Owning my own house is one of my life goal, and by reading your post I do realize there are more positive than negative aspects and it truly comforted me! You have an amazing place x

Jessica — NinetyCo

Danielle says:

Your house is beautiful! It reminds me so much of the house I grew up in (in south Florida, with no a/c!). I love those cozy nooks on your porch with cushions. So cool.

Amy says:

Congratulations. It gets easier to manage with time, and it feels good when all the work you put into it belongs to you!

Nikki says:

Your home is so dreamy, I have loved watching the progress of it over this past year!

This so so great! And I’m in love with the space you’ve created! Well done! I’d love to see an illustrated floor plan of some kind just to get a sense of the layout and where the patio is.

Love your space!

Samantha Lee says:

Your home is BEAUTIFUL, and your backyard space looks like heaven. Can’t wait to own a home one day too! <3

Christina Gliati says:

I own a house as single me too.it is exciting not having anyone to report to,but exactly all these annoying things that happen to you is what happen to me too. The lesson I have learned is to try and solve many problems myself. Kisses.

melissa b. says:

Beautiful! Great bones + great style!

Sue says:

Where did you get your bed linens ?

designlovefest says:

they are all from parachute home!

Courtney says:

You’re right, home ownership is incredibly exciting and scary at the same time. Creating a safety net for unexpected home repairs is the best advice I could give any homeowner. Just like your clogged pipe, you just never know when something major could happen.
    Where are your bedroom wall sconces from? They are so fun!

Annie says:

Congrats on over a year in the home. Love seeing our Parachute Linen Bedding in your room – it looks amazing! For those wanting a relaxed interior like Bri’s, read our post on How to Give Your Bedroom Good Vibes.

Diana says:

It’s simply beautiful.

xo, Diana

Alissa says:

So so gorgeous! Congrats 🙂

We get keys to our new home in Kauai tomorrow. This is my first experience with homeownership, but not my husbands. Love the boob rug, the front door and well, everything! I can’t wait to make changes to our home.

designlovefest says:

how exciting! kauai sounds wonderful!

Vera J says:

Congrats on your new home! Ive been following your blog since 2011. Happy Holidays:)

Haley says:

Where is the boob rug from?

Anna says:

I love your white slip cover sectional!! Where did u get it?

designlovefest says:

it’s from canvas interiors! https://www.canvasinteriors.com/

Samantha says:

I bought my first house this past summer (also a single lady! go us!), and days after moving in had to tear open the ceiling in the living room to replace plumbing pipes that were clogged and destined to burst.
    Other than that, owning my house is SO MUCH BETTER than renting!

Anonymous says: