07.05.16

TRAVELING TO MEXICO CITY

mexico city travel | designlovefest

i just got back from mexico city last week and had a really great time. this is my third trip with el camino travel (nicaragua here, colombia here) they always plan such amazing experiences, so i’m always happy to go on these trips! they handle all the travel details, find all the cool spots, and even send a photographer to capture the trip. makes travel very easy. they are also doing customized itineraries if you want them to plan your next trip.

now…here’s a peek inside our mexico city trip with my two girlfriends, anna and denise.

mexico city travel | designlovefest

we checked into our little bed and breakfast, chaya, on the rooftop and i was so impressed with it. there were so many unique details, plants all over the place, great authentic breakfast every morning, and such a cozy vibe. we really loved staying there.

mexico city travel | designlovefest

CLICK THROUGH TO SEE THE WHOLE TRAVEL POST…

mexico city travel | designlovefest

loved the hammocks on the roof too! so relaxing.

mexico city travel | designlovefest

our first dinner was at lalo. we tried pretty much everything on the menu, and zero complaints! yuuuum. then we had cocktails on the rooftop at this hotel and it was a good first night.

mexico city travel | designlovefest

my FAVORITE thing we did on the trip was touring three luis barragán houses. luis revolutionized modern architecture in the country with his use of bright colors reminiscent of the traditional architecture of mexico. seeing his work has been on my bucket list for a loooong time, so i was so ecstatic to see them in person. the architecture was absolutely amazing, the styling was so inspirational, and the colors were mind blowing. we all wanted to move in!

mexico city travel | designlovefest

that was the owner of the third house we went to. what a doll! after our tour we had beers and food at mercado del carmen.

mexico city travel | designlovefest

that night had a delicious dinner at público comedor and the best cocktails at felina afterwards! then we went dancing and stayed out too late.

mexico city travel | designlovefest

the next day we woke up and went on an all day walking food & market tour with club tengo hambre (they showed us SO many good food spots!!). we had street tacos, quesadillas, al pastor, chorizo and we even tried ANTS at the market! (they actually just tasted like butter, oddly)

mexico city travel | designlovefest

we strolled through the market la ciudadela and i picked up some woven pants, curtains, and a few chachkies. there were so many baskets and rugs that i wanted to take home! there were also a lot of touristy items to buy there, but definitely some gems if you are patient and like to hunt.

mexico city travel | designlovefest

such a fun day exploring! when we got home we rested and then had a mezcal tasting in our bnb dining room with the firea mezcal...

mexico city travel | designlovefest

they have those awesome hand painted bottles for the alcohol, i had to buy a smaller one and bring it home! i haven’t always been a huge mezcal fan (tastes like a smoke flavor) but after the tasting i liked it a lot more and learned a lot.

mexico city travel | designlovefest

our last full day there we had a very special brunch on the rooftop of this very generous couple’s home. they have a company called casa jacaranda where they take you to the market, you cook with them, listen to music, and learn all about the food in mexico city. they totally won over our hearts. we sat there for hours drinking palomas, eating chilaquiles they made us and talking. would definitely recommend meeting these two!

mexico city travel | designlovefest

then they took us walking around the neighborhood roma (my favorite neighborhood we visited. i would go back and stay there!) i loooooved all of the greenery, the old buildings with ornate details, the hip restaurants with fun tiles, and just the overall vibe there…

mexico city travel | designlovefest

i really liked getting a cocktail and snacks at yuban in roma.

mexico city travel | designlovefest

and our final dinner…my favorite meal!

mexico city travel | designlovefest

the place is called fonda fina, and every single thing i had was extraordinary. definitely recommend this spot!!

mexico city travel | designlovefest

before we headed back to LA, we went to a few more spots in the morning. this hotel was cool and had a worth checking out shop in the front. and last stop was this adorable churro shop with some of the best tile i’ve ever seen!

mexico city travel | designlovefest

so happy we got to experience mexico city together. now i’m wondering and dreaming…where to next?!

trip by: el camino travel
photos: jennifer young and iphone photos by designlovefest and denise bovee
food tours: club tengo hambre

Emmaline says:

Your pictures, style, flair, etc. are fabulous! Wish I could help you spice up your writing, though.

Torrance Elizabeth says:

Loved reading this post! I convinced my sister to come to Mexico City with me for Dia de los Muertos in the fall. I can’t wait to check out such a fun city, especially during the Day of the Dead festival!

Wow that’s so awesome that they plan all of that for you…but it does kind of take the fun out of exploring!

Stacy says:

Where are your lace, white/orange, and red dresses from?

Shay says:

This blog post was fantastic. I just moved to DF and a friend tagged me in one of your instagram posts– very excited to try out some of the cocktail spots and restaurants you’ve suggested.

Nikki says:

These pics are all so gorgeous, makes me want to visit Mexico City immediately!

Jessica says:

Such amazing pictures! This post is great x

Jessica — WS Community

Diane says:

It looks like you girls had so much fun! I love all the colorful photos from this post.

It looks like you all had a lot of fun and are totally making me want to go. First Japan now Mexico?! Maaan, i have so much traveling to do!

Gabriella says:

I’ve been to Mexico once (years ago – and definitely not Mexico City), but your photos are making me want to be there right now! Such fun colors everywhere – and the food? Oh my, it looks incredible.

Stephanie says:

Wow amazing pics, LOVE them!

x
    StephC

Anna says:

Great post and stunning shots! I love Luis Barràgan works.
    XO
    Anna From Italy

Laura Romero says:

Love this!! Viva Mexico!

Laura Romero says:

LOVE THIS! VIVA MEXICO

Mara says:

I live in Mexico City, I loved your post. The pictures are beautiful. So glad you enjoyed your trip.

Samantha says:

Looks like a fabulous trip! Do you have a list of Luis Barragan houses you toured? And any info on how to arrange a tour?

LOVED Mexico City when we visited recently!! Your photographs are gorgeous. xo

Janet Seager says:

I love your photographs. So fresh

carol says:

Great photos!! I am brazilian and my husband mexican. We live in Brazil but always we travel to Mexico. I didn’t know these places (just barragan house).. love the tips!! =)

Lauren says:

Gorgeous! So much so in fact, I just booked a trip there for August! Can’t wait.

Hi Bri! I am going in October. Who did you tour the Louis Baragan Houses with? Wondering if you can recommend a tour company as I am not booking my trip through el camino. Did they set it up with someone else?

designlovefest says:

hey kristen,

i’m not sure who they set it up with but you could write El Camino and ask if they have any information to provide. have a great trip!

Xx

Kristen says:

Thanks Bri! I am booking a tour with Club Tengo Hambre for sure. This post is great and was a lot of my inspiration to go.

Kristen says:

Hi Bri – I just wanted to let you know, I told our guide Mariana at CTH we booked the tour bc of your post! She was like “yep, I had her!!”

Thanks again and here are my posts so far if you’d like to check out.

xx

Tay says:

Beautiful photos! You always find fun and unique places to see and stay at! 🙂

jill says:

Hi! Where did you take the photo of the pink architecture with the water falls? Was that at the casa estudio Luis Barragan?

Shaunna says:

Thank you for this amazing post!! Going to Mexico City soon and I’d like to do the Louis house tour- how did you book it?

Audrey says:

One of my favorite things about your blog is that I can search pretty much any destination and you’ll have written something about it! I’m heading to Mexico City in July and this looks so perfect. Thank you so much for sharing all the details! Love your guides always!