BAKED CHICKEN NACHOS
nachos are a serious comfort food, they’re great for nights in alone (no judgement if you eat them all) but they’re also excellent for a group. one thing i don’t like about nachos is that all of the toppings and cheese are generally at the top and once you hit the middle it’s just plain chips. so we made these in layers and it worked like a charm. if you feel like putting in the effort you could also stick each layer under the broiler for a minute or two, before adding more layers but that’s totally optional and just ensures that all of cheese is melted! – joanie
ivan whipped up this watermelon cucumber drink that was so refreshing and the perfect thing to serve along side (it would also be great with a heavy pour of gin or tequila)!
makes 6 servings
• 1 can black beans
• 1 can corn (we roasted ours in a pan with a little butter)
• 1 bag of corn chips
• sour cream
• 1 large avocado
• bag of shredded Mexican cheese blend
• 2 tablespoons finely chopped scallions
• hot sauce to taste
• canned jalapeños to taste
• 2 chicken breasts cooked
how to make the salsa:
• 2 ripe tomatoes chopped
• 1 quarter yellow onion chopped
• 1 small bushel of cilantro chopped
• 1 lime squeezed
• salt and pepper to taste
– Place all the ingredients for the salsa in a medium sized bowl and mix together. salt and pepper to taste.
– In a casserole dish place a bottom layer of chips evenly, then disperse a layer of cheese, corn, chicken, jalapeños and black beans. you can put in the broiler for a minute or two before repeating the layers but this is an optional step. repeat the process until you have about three (or four!) layers. Add lots of cheese on top and place the whole tray under the broiler for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbly. Once you remove top with sour cream, avocado slices, hot sauce and salsa. serve immediately!
• half a large watermelon
• 1 large cucumber peeled
• 2 limes squeezed
• 1 cup water
• mint as garnish
-In a blender place 1 cup of water. blend 1 cucumber peeled with half a watermelon and the 2 squeezed limes. Strain the liquid in a large pitcher and chill in the refrigerator or serve over ice. we garnished ours with mint and cucumber slices.
styling by: joanie cusack
photos by: ivan solis