05.16.16

TOKYO TRAVEL PART 2

IMG_4373-1

posted all about the first part of our tokyo trip right here…and then our overnight trip on the train to kyoto here. and this is part TWO of tokyo! let’s do it…

tokyo travel guide 2 | designlovefest

as i said before, we stayed in meguro at the claska hotel. this was my favorite suite there…the beautiful retro minimal decor was so lovely. and the whole room was in the same warm tones which i really appreciated. above you will see jen performing sia’s “chandelier” for my snapchat haha. also, that’s the traditional breakfast they offer in the lobby which i liked (but they also have american style food if you wanted to switch it up)

after we got home from kyoto it was nice to come back here, relax and then go out for a nice meal. we had dinner at seriously the best sushi i’ve had in my life. it was just the four of us and the chef made each bite special. natalie even cried when he was cutting the cucumber because it truly was like watching art. it was probably top 3 meals of my life. the sushi was like butter and the care that went into the food was truly moving. you’ve seen this doc, right? similar experience to that.

tokyo travel guide 2 | designlovefest

one of my favorite places visually was yukamo suryo. it’s out of the way some, but it was so gorgeous. we made a reservation early in the week and had breakfast there our last full day. it really gave me the same feelings i had when visiting coqui coqui in tulum (see here) it felt tranquil, well thought out, chic, and fancy but not over the top. i think the meal was about $30 and that paid for about a 1.5 hour intimate breakfast experience of different teas and traditional food and dessert. i loved the details in the space the most. the bathroom sink was even amazing.

tokyo travel guide 2 | designlovefest

CLICK THROUGH TO SEE THE WHOLE POST…

KICHIJOJI

after breakfast, we were torn on whether or not to hit up more places on our list in shibuya or to venture out to the swan boats in inokashira park. it was a beautiful day and we decided why not experience the outdoors and a new neighborhood. i probably would have died if i had seen this swan scene covered in cherry blossoms but it was still pretty damn special for $3.50 each. also that park is magical! so calm and lush and nice to just walk through if you need a break from the hustle in the city.

tokyo travel guide 2 | designlovefest

a very fun memory to have!

tokyo travel guide 2 | designlovefest

next we walked to a few of the restaurants in shops near the park. we used the hello sandwich book for the area! we stuck mostly on the nakamichi shopping street, which had no cars and full of cute shops. we were starvinnnng and ended up at margaret howell cafe + shop. very good sandwiches, wine, soup, and quiche. a great lunch spot! and after we went across the street to hara donuts. i loved how they weren’t too sweet. and isn’t the building adorable? love the painted donuts on the walls.

tokyo travel guide 2 | designlovefest

also across the street was a store called iori that i walked in and immediately wanted so many things. i love linens and towels and this place had so many good options. colorfully patterned washcloths, color-blocked hand towels, and plain soft linens. just wander around the walking streets there and duck into the tiny stores! we also went to niji gallery and a guy was painting portraits on paper lanterns. i wanted one!

tokyo travel guide 2 | designlovefest

a few bigger stores we went to for gifts and stuff…

tokyo hands (feels like a million levels of cool crafts and beauty supplies and stationery and kinda everything you could think of. not everything is cool, but definitely some great gems in there. i liked it, you just have to not get too sucked in.)

itoya (in ginza) tooooons of stickers and cards and gifts and paper.

parco (in kichijoji) it’s a big department store with gold escalators. some good and some bad. but that’s where i got my awesome fringe phone case so i’m gonna call it a win.

tokyo travel guide 2 | designlovefest

if you stay at the claska hotel you gotttta go to the shop on the 2nd floor. one of my favorite stores i went to! supurb curation. and how about downstairs just outside the lobby they have a dog grooming window where you can watch these fluffy friends being groomed. we got sucked into that a loooooot of times. ha

tokyo travel guide 2 | designlovefest

our last day we only had a few hours in the morning so we decided to just stick to meguro and have one last hurrah at a ramen place. everyone tells you to just find ramen everywhere and you can rarely go wrong, i found that to be true. this one was rated best in the hood, so we gave it a shot. YES. something like $8 got me the best meal, and you order via vending machine! i know, it’s all in japanese, but i just told the guy to chose his favorite. some of the machines have photos on them, but i liked the colors on this one.

IMG_4870
tokyo travel guide 2 | designlovefest

and then we were off! exhausted, inspired, thankful, bonded, happy. tokyo did all the feelings.

things i wish i had done, but you can’t do it all. will do next time:
sang karaoke somewhere!
gone to golden gai
gone to the tsukiji fish market early in the morning
gone to the hot springs somewhere
more museums

tokyo travel guide 2 | designlovefest

but overall, we packed in A LOT of stuff and i had the best time. please put tokyo on your list if you haven’t been and put your favorite spots in the comments if you have. thank you for all the comments and recommendations before i left, i appreciate it so much! i hope you bookmark all the guides and reference them on your trip. and feel free to ask questions! xx – bri

tokyo part one here
kyoto here
hong kong here

(photos by designlovefest, gifs by jesse chamberlin)

Linda says:

These photos are so beautiful! Looks like so much fun! 🙂

Amanda says:

Awesome post, Bri! Thanks for sharing. (Also wanted to point out that your cover image says “Toyko” instead of “Tokyo”.)

bri says:

ah thanks for noticing! silly typo

HB says:

Ahh! We went to the same park last month and seriously didn’t know the beauty we were walking into! So many people drinking beer for “hanami viewing” – Cherry blossom viewing. It was STUNNING! I wish we would have seen some of the cute restaurants and shops like you did!

Benita says:

Great photos! Tokyo has been on the top of my list for places I want to visit and this post makes me want to go even more!

Wild Nettle says:

Beautiful pictures.
    I dream about trip to Japan so thank you for the inspiration 🙂

SC says:

Did I miss the link for your favorite sushi dinner? Arigato!

Ivana says:

I have followed your guide here in Tokyo and absolutely love it! What was the name of the sushi restaurant you mentioned in the beginning?

Sarah says:

Once again an amazing post! You make me want to book a trip ASAP! Looks like such a memorable trip!

XO – Sarah

catherine says:

thanks for all the travel tips!! looks like you had a fantastic time 🙂 loving all your travel posts and photos x

Rainbeau says:

Ahh! Looking at this makes me miss Tokyo! I have such a crush on Japan now.

Also in addition to starring/saving spots on Google Maps app, you can create a map via their “My Maps” feature on your computer. Color code pins, add notes, URLs, etc. and then access it on your Google Maps iPhone app. I found that super helpful for when we were in a neighborhood & hungry or looking for something to do.

M Dougan says:

Stayed for a few days in Tokyo, hotel close to the Shibua crossing. Favorite place was the Asakusa Temple, and nearby shops dating from the Edo period. Search Flikr for Asakusa Buddha Praying for a sample.

Rented a car and drove out to Shima Onsen in the Gunma Prefecture. Stayed at a Ryokan, with a personal Ofuro on the balcony. Excellent place, and the traditional meals were the best I’ve ever had.

Drove out to lake Chuzenji-Ko and photographed the swan boats there.

Drove back to Tokyo (driving in Japan is not for the faint of heart). Then trained to Kyoto. Favorites there were the Philosopher’s Walk, and the Temple at Kiyumizu-dera.

Great trip, and so much more to see and do.

Loved you post!

Lauren says:

I already wanted to go to Tokyo, but this seals the deal. Can you share the name of the special sushi you had? It sounds amazing!

^^ Yes- also want to know where this amazing sushi is. I’m going to Tokyo in a few months and would love to check it out.

aline says:

I’m headed back to Japan in October and I’d love to hear the name of the amazing sushi experience! We try to book a few special meals on our trips and I’d love the tip. Your Japan posts have been great. ty!!

anna says:

Wow! Your trips always inspire me and I love going through your pictures. Sometimes I just like scrolling through your pictures but it’s been hard to find certain ones like your Big Sur road trip with your friends (gotta scroll through a lot of pics). I was wondering could you make photo albums on your Facebook page of your trips? You can add your friends on it too so they can contribute!

Camille says:

What was the name of the beautiful sushi restaurant? I’m in Tokyo right now and want to check it out!
    xx

brooke says:

I would LOVE if you could help me out here!!!

How did you make the gifs?! Did you create them through photoshop or do you use an app?

I took your social media class and it has been so helpful, but I can’t seem to figure out gifs unless everyone is creating them through photoshop.

thank you so much!

Pyllek says:

These guides are so lovely and make me want to go back to Japan SO BAD!

Jennifer says:

Hello,
    I see a lot of people are commenting about your favorite sushi dinner! I would LOVE to know as well!
    Can you pretty pretty please share with us????

Love your posts!