05.03.16

ABOUT TOWN / LA FITNESS CLASSES

LA fitness classes | designlovefest

los angeles is a fitness obsessed town, to a fault one might say, and while we don’t buy into the whole juice cleansing, carb counting, sweat every single day philosophy that seems to be running around the city. we do enjoy a good fitness class every once in awhile and when we started the #dlfgetfit column we sampled a lot of classes and we’re here to tell you our faves. also, we stopped posting about the dlfgetfit challenge but if you’d like more health posts, let us know. we like your feedback!

One Down Dog: this studio has three locations, offers a ton of classes at all hours of the day and has a something for everyone.  their class selection is awesome – we’ve tried and love the sweat class, flow, strong, restore, sculpt and buti. they also play great music which is always a bonus.

Pilates Platinum: spread across the city this is an intense strength training class. certainly not traditional pilates but you still get the elongating effect of the reformer with an elevated heart rate.

SEE ALL OUR FAVORITE STUDIOS AFTER THE JUMP…

Ballet Bodies: their stretch class will leave you (and your muscles) feeling like new.

Bar Method: there is some sort of magic in these moves because it really does make you longer and leaner. it’s also a relatively slow paced class so if you’re a beginner you can catch on quickly.

LA fitness classes | designlovefest

Fitmix: top 2 favorite studios in the city. they have two locations east and west. take their mash-up class, it’s half running, half pilates and will make you hurt (in the best way possible). it’s a really positive environment and open to all levels.

Earth Power Yoga: their heated yoga is a great option for people who like it warm but not as hot a bikram.

Moda Yoga: three different lengths of class at this hot yoga studio. they really care about the students and taking class here is a fun experience that will leave you feeling zen.

Carrie’s Pilates Plus: this studio has terrible marketing but if you can ignore their color scheme and website i do think it’s one of the best workouts the city has to offer. and only 45 minutes so how bad can it be?

also, if you’re looking to get outside we recommend a walk around the silver lake reservoir or taking the short hike up to the griffith observatory for beautiful views (and stopping at trails cafe on the way back to your car for an almond milk latte!).

if you’re looking for more of our LA guides you can read about our favorite brunch spots, bookstoresphoto booths and more!

photos by jesse chamberlin

Rachel says:

Just wanted to say please keep posting about #dlfgetfit! I love reading about health and fitness for extra motivation, but most health and fitness blogs have terrible, tacky design which is so grating! Was super great to have a favourite blog also incorporate this content!

Lily says:

Would love a weekly #dlfgetfit column, deft miss that!

Mia says:

I miss the get fit columns! They were inspiring and informative and they motivated me to get fit as well!

Geneviève says:

I really liked the dlfgetfit column. The health challenge was fun to follow and the three themes (working out, eating and progress) were such an interesting way to talk about fitness. I loved reading your thoughts about each of these subjects and see how it changed from one post to another. Those post never made me feel bad about myself, but instead just made me want to keep doing my best.

designlovefest says:

thanks for the feedback, geneviève! we really appreciate it.

Kate says:

I also loved and miss the fitness posts. However, I love a lot of the things you guys do, so I want to share general positive vibes as well 🙂

designlovefest says:

thanks, kate! that’s really sweet. we really appreciate the support!

Amanda says:

great roundup! there are seriously, SO MANY fitness studios here, it’s overwhelming. thanks for helping sort through them all. i really miss the dlfgetfit column. would love to get an update! i am working on myself as well, and it makes me feel like i’m not alone.

designlovefest says:

agreed, reading along with someone else’s fitness journey makes staying in shape much more manageable and inclusive. we’re all in this together!

joanie

Mackenzie says:

The Carrie’s comment legit made me laugh out loud… could not be more spot on. The marketing is so so bad, but the workout can’t be beat!

designlovefest says:

haha, i’m glad you understand! i wish i could tell them, maybe they’ll see the post 🙂
    joanie

Kristi says:

Haha! I used to go to Carrie’s Pilates Plus when my other favorite studio went out of business. I totally agree. 🙂

One of my FAVORITE workouts ever (which is one of the things I miss about living in LA is Circuit Works!) Talk about getting your butt kicked EVERY TIME. They used to have a Brentwood location, but now it’s just in Venice/Santa Monica I think? I probably also had a partial additional love of the class because Josh Duhamel would be in my classes sometimes, super sweet and easy on the eyes. 🙂

designlovefest says:

the west side has so many good fitness classes! i’d love to live closer and try more classes over there.

joanie

Colleen Clark says:

The Sweatspot in Silverlake for dance classes. They’re taught by music video choreographers so the routines are amazing but they’re also totally do-able for all levels and the vibe is so positive it feels like a dance party.

Also, Siesta Yoga on Western. The classes are relatively affordable and it’s alot less lululemon-y than other LA studios.

designlovefest says:

yess, the sweatspot is the best! we love that place!

Wild Nettle says:

Never too much fitness inspiration especially if you are outside los angeles 😉

Meg says:

Can you tell me the name of the tennis shoes in this picture? They are to die for!!!!

designlovefest says:

hey meg!

they are sold out now but they were called the adidas neo sneaker by Selena Gomez.