01.26.16

MARFA TRAVEL / PART 1

marfa travel guide 1 | designlovefest

i have about 5,000 photos from this marfa trip so it was reeeeally hard to narrow down. i’m just such a sentimental sap, that having documentation of important memories means the world to me. i’d say it was pretty much the best 30th birthday i could have asked for. i was almost going to just have a little dinner party at my house and i am SO glad we decided to make marfa happen. we were worried it was going to be too freezing to enjoy it, but it really wasn’t at all. during the day was about 65 degrees and it only got cold at night. i’m from chicago, so the cold didn’t bother me!

i’m going to be doing two posts on what we did in marfa, here we go!

marfa travel guide 1 | designlovefest

SEE ALL OF THE PICS AFTER THE JUMP (there are tons)…

8 of us girls took a two hour flight from LA to el paso and then rented one large SUV and drove three hours to marfa. it was kind of a trek, but since we were all together, time flew by quickly. the drive is in the middle of nowhere so we made sure to get in to el paso in the early afternoon so we could drive in the daylight and get to marfa by dinner time. it was great timing, i would recommend that! on the drive, about 30 minutes before you get to marfa you will see the art installation Prada store on the right. did you know they only put one of the shoes in the pair on display so they are less enticing to steal? it’s a quick, iconic photo stop and then move on…

marfa travel guide 1 | designlovefest

ohhhh el cosmico. you charming thing, you. it’s a wide open desert campground with a full sky of stars. you can rent a tent, a yurt, tepees, or airstreams. i think it would technically be considered glamping haha. we had 8 people and during this time of year the temperatures drop below freezing, so we booked three airstreams (that had comfy beds and great heaters in them!)

we rented the battleship airstream (the biggest and newest one. try to get that one for SURE) also, the princess and spartan manor, which were decorated very very cute inside. i’m sure all of the airstreams were great though. this place had tons of style. definitely take a look in their shop up front for some beautiful gifts.

marfa travel guide 1 | designlovefest

the night before my birthday we went to hotel paisano for margaritas and dinner. to be honest, a lot of the meals we had were good, but none of them really blew me away and they were pretty expensive. but that’s ok, we still had a lot of fun during them!

tip: make sure to make reservations a few days in advance for all of your dinners! places are super small or not open and fill up quickly.

marfa travel guide 1 | designlovefest

that night we came home and all huddled in the battleship airstream, had beers, stayed up late laughing tons, and the girls sang me happy birthday at midnight. it was a very perfect birthday eve.

marfa travel guide 1 | designlovefest

the next day we slept in and then walked to marfa burrito for a delicious egg, potato and cheese burrito. the place is in a sweet woman’s quaint house. the thing about marfa is it’s so small that you can pretty much walk everywhere you want to go! we walked a few minutes from el cosmico to burritos, to the coffee shop, to shopping…very easy to get around! i was a little stressed beforehand because i didn’t plan much like i normally do, but you really don’t need to do much of that since it’s so small. just make sure to make a few reservations and then wander around the rest of the time.

IMG_4993
marfa travel guide 1 | designlovefest

we went to the get coffee and toast twice at do your thing coffee. they have cool art on the walls, a burning firepit inside, and great coffee. definitely check it out.

marfa travel guide 1 | designlovefest

like i said, food is a little tricky. some of the food trucks (more on those in the next post!) close between 3 and 5 or aren’t open at all that day. meaning we were kind of left without food options one afternoon. that’s when the get go grocery store saves the day! i loved this little spot. we got a bunch of food and drinks to make lunch at home in our airbnb and it was great.

that night we had my bday dinner at cochineal. everyone will tell you to go eat there when in marfa! it was a little on the fancy side, i loved their cocktails and the ambiance in there was small and lovely. afterwards, we walked over to the capri for a drink (which was okay) and then the lost horse bar. it was an excellent dive bar with not expensive drinks, pool tables, fire pits, dancing…way more fun! we met a lot of locals and stayed up toooo late making new friends.

marfa travel guide 1 | designlovefest

okay, that’s the first day and a half, more on the other half of the trip soon!

(photos by bri emery, jesse chamberlin, and denise bovee)

Jaclyn says:

Marfa looks so cool and a happy 30th to you!
    I have to laugh at your GIANT suitcases for a such a quick trip though! LOL

bri says:

haha jaclyn! it was 3 nights and 4 days and we packed waaaay too many coats. the girls were afraid of the cold! but very true, i probably needed 1/4 of that!

Jessica says:

All those pictures are so cool! x

Maria McB says:

Your gifs are back! Love it. 🙂 It looks like fun was had by all. Happy birthday to you, Bri!!

bri says:

thanks maria! yessss. i love the gifs lately

Kelly says:

Love this post and Marfa looks so cool. I do have to say all the twitchy photos were a little dizzying to look at.

bri says:

ha, sorry kelly. just trying to add a bit more of an interactive element to the post. luckily, a quick scroll and they are gone haha

Looks like you had a wonderful time in West Texas! I spent the weekend of my 30th there too. Such a magical place to bring in a new decade. <3 I haven't stayed at El Cosmico yet but looks like I need to next time for sure! Can't wait to hear about the rest of the trip!

Absolutely LOVE everything about this. Your aesthetic is so in tune with what I’m drawn to and this is a great example of why I’m obsessed with DLF! Happy Birthday!!

bri says:

awesome, thanks jordan. glad we see eye to eye 🙂

Marta says:

Happy belated birthday BRI!
    What app do you use for the moving photos?

bri says:

it’s called phhhoto, marta! thanks!

charlotte says:

Love your blog, your aesthetic, and all your picture posts. I’m dying to know where your whole girl gang got their jackets. I went on Show Me Your Mumu, and no faux fur are jackets listed! Your black and white fur, in particular, is gorgeous. Do you have recommendations of where I could look? California shops in particular??

Rachel says:

Such fab photos! I would love to visit Prada Marfa one day!

OMG!
    This looks like a really great Trip.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BRI!

You’re so wonderfully inspiring.

bri says:

charlotte, here is the white fur jacket from show me your mumu. i lovveee mine and wear it all the time. http://www.showmeyourmumu.com/bohemia-fur-jacket-cream-fur

my black and white jacket i scored at a thrift shop in amsterdam!

Emily says:

Sounds like so much fun! I really need a trip with my girlfriends. Happy birthday!

Suzannah says:

Love all the gifs! Looks like y’all had fun:)

Sophie says:

I didn’t know you are from Chicago? What part? I’m from Evanston.

Elizabeth says:

Happy 30th! Marfa (like most of West Texas) doesn’t have a ton of food options. I grew up there and now live in LA. Everytime I go back, I feel overwhelmed with finding foods that meet my food allergies! Can’t wait to see what else you did in your second post!

Happy belated birthday!! Okay I have to go to Marfa!! This looks like the best trip ever!!!

bri says:

it really was magic, you gotta go!

Molly Garvin says:

happy belated birthday! this trip looked so dreamy and fun! how do you find all these cool spots?

Gina says:

So fun! I’m from Texas and still haven’t been to Marfa! Definitely wanna go next year when they do that cool festival (I forget the name)!

Inma says:

Happy Belated Birthday! Love how much fun this trip looks!

Inma x
    sunshineandglow.blogspot.com

Anna says:

We are in 2016, shouldn’t your photos be bigger?

Lila says:

There is NOTHING more basic than that top photo / every other Marfa Prada faux-artsy group shot.

Melanie says:

I’ve definitely been fed breakfast by strangers on the deck of the trailer y’all stayed in. Fuck, Marfa’s just awesome.

bri says:

thanks lila. you know there’s a lot more photos in the post, right?

bri says:

hey anna, not sure what you mean here. my blog is configured a certain way and that’s the size of my photos.

bri says:

hey molly! i lot of people had sent me recommendations, however the town is so small that you can just walk around and pop in different places! i would say to go there with a few things in mind and then just explore the rest…

bri says:

hi sophie, i’m from burr ridge, but my parents live in hinsdale now!

bri says:

thanks for all the birthday wishes, ladies!! xoxo

marfa looks like such an amazing and magical place! definitely adding it to my bucket list. 🙂 also, in general – it seems like a super laidback trip as far as planning goes, and that’s a HUGE travel plus! looking forward to reading part 2 ~

Mariah says:

Love love love your poncho!! Where did you get it?

nenad says:

I am enjoying in you picture, you made great effort to bring something about London’s spirit to us, thank you for sharing.