HEALTHY BOWL RECIPE
This recipe has been adopted after a similar lunch i like to have at cafe gratitude in my neighborhood. it has so much flavor and it’s guilt free! I like to make this at the beginning of the week in large batches since the ingredients keep well in the refrigerator for a few days and make a convenient lunch.
HEALTHY VEGGIE BOWL
makes 5 servings
• 2 medium sized sweet potatoes
• 2 cups kale de-stemmed
• 1 jar pickled turnips (found in health food stores)
• 1 cup quinoa
• 1 cup brown rice
• black sesame seeds as garnish
• 2 tablespoons cashews as garnish
• 1/2 cup olive oil
• 1 lemon squeezed
• 3 garlic cloves
• 2 cups basil
• 3 tablespoons pine nuts
• salt and pepper to taste
• In a medium sized sauce pan drop 1 cup of quinoa with two cups of water. Bring to a boil on medium heat and reduce to low. Stirring occasionally for about 20 minutes or until tender and water has absorbed. Repeat the same process for the brown rice with two cups of water. Brown rice tends to take around 40 minutes to cook.
• Thoroughly wash and slice two medium sized sweet potatoes. Place in a medium sized pot and fill with water until it is just about covered. Cook on low heat for about 30 minutes or until tender when poked with a fork. If you also have a steamer, it is another great option to cook your sweet potatoes, just fill the bottom with around 2 inches of water. Once hot steam for about 7 minutes.
• In a separate small pot fill with water and 2 teaspoons of salt, bring to a boil on high heat. De-stem and wash the kale and drop into the boiling water for about 30- 45 seconds to blanch the kale. This process will slightly soften the texture of the leafy greens and add some flavor. You will notice a bright green will emerge from the kale, this will let you know it is ready. Remove the kale and place in a strainer to slightly cool.
• For the pesto sauce, we used a vitamix blender. We found it more efficient to use and easier cleanup than making the pesto in a food processor. Cut the steams of the basil and drop into the blender. Next add the garlic, olive oil, the juice of a squeezed lemon and the pine nuts. Salt and pepper to taste. Blend on the lowest setting first and gradually increase the speed until ingredients are finely blended. This process only took about 30-45 seconds.
• Begin layering your veggie bowl with the brown rice and quinoa. Next add your toppings of sweet potatoes and braised kale. Add a side of pickled turnips. Place a generous amount of pesto and garish your bowl with black sesame seeds and cashews. The flavors of the pesto and pickled turnips bring every flavor together. Hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did!
photos and styling by: ivan solis