01.17.16

A-FRAME DREAMS

a frame homes | designlovefest

natalie is always talking about her dream home…an A-frame cabin. i have to admit, they are pretty fun to think about and look at. we are big believers of speaking your hopes and dreams out in the world, so here we go…

a frame homes | designlovefest

the A-frame trend is said to be started by architect andrew geller, who designed and built this home above in sagaponack, new york. they are typically built in areas with heavy winters and lots of snow. popularity with this style of home began to rise post-WWII as many americans were beginning to have more disposable income and a second home was a great investment as well as a great vacation retreat. wouldn’t it be so nice to be able to escape to one of these for the weekend??

a frame homes | designlovefest

i love the classic rustic A-frame cabins, but i also adore the mid-century vibes of some of these.

a frame homes | designlovefest

i love how the attics feel like a fort or hideout. i wanted an attic bedroom SO badly as a kid. the movie casper got me obsessed with the idea of a secret room.

a frame homes | designlovefest

ps. so many great A-frame cabins on rob’s instagram!

a frame homes | designlovefest

natalie, we are coming over when you get one, k?

I have always loved little A-frame houses. These are so awesome!

Spring B. says:

YES. I would love to have one of these little A-frame hideaways. I can’t believe you posted about this — I used to dream about having one all to myself when I was about ten years old. I remember that I wanted to make a room full of pillows at the top in the cozy part… 🙂

You are bringing it with your new blog style/flow. I love minimalism, clean lines, and blush pink as much as the next gal. But when I’m shopping for my own home, you better believe flea markets, vintage, and warm, cozy colors win every time. Go team!

Inma says:

I loved this post and it inspired me to create a new pinterest board called Explore to add places that make me want to get out there in nature and explore, be more adventurous, which is one of my goals for 2016. Love the new vibe of DLF!

Inma x
    sunshineandglow.blogspot.com

Kristina says:

These look so cozy and inviting! All I want to do in January is hibernate and stay tucked under covers; how fun to be able to do that in one of these getaways. So inspiring! Also, just want to note how much I like the new (old?) directions you’re taking with the blog : )

Danielle says:

I love every one of these homes! I had an a-frame playhouse as a child and thought I would like to live in a bigger one as an adult. Sadly, they’re hard to find!

Doug says:

They’re super easy to build

laurel says:

I love that white one with the green plant (2nd to last pic), Are there any sources available, I want to check out all of that house!

Carey Haider says:

Top cabin in the post is my cabin. In Portland, Oregon.

@careyquintonhaider

I loooove A-frame cabins! I’ve always wanted to make a cozy room in the attic of one, too :]

Justine says:

My bestie lived in a lovely little A-frame when we lived in Whistler, BC. I loved that little house and they always bring back great memories. We don’t have anything like them in Sydney!

Teresa says:

Can I just say I am loving all these inspiration posts? It’s like a focused and curated pinterest for images. Keep it up!!

Katherine says:

My ex and I lived in an a-frame for a number of years. I loved it! It had a huge deck I just loved. We had a blast living there.