MAKE IT / PUMPKIN LANTERNS
it’s finally starting to feel cool around here and we are here to talk a little bit about halloween decor! we’ve been super into ceramics lately and have noticed a lot of handmade ceramic light fixtures that got us thinking about how to tie that back into decorating with pumpkins this season.
there is also such a variety of types of pumpkins that are available to us now, that we figured this would be a perfect place to showcase them. we got ours at whole foods, but keep your eye open for those unique pumpkins when you take your trip to the pumpkin patch!
• knives of various sizes, serrated knives work well
• metal spoons of various sizes
• drill and drill bits, wood worker’s spade bits are ideal for large
• masking tape
• pipe cleaners
how to make them:
• start by cutting the bottom out of your pumpkin so that it rests flat
• pull out the strands and seeds and with your metal spoons scrape out as much as possible from the inside of your pumpkin
• mark your pattern on your pumpkin with small bits of tape
• drill holes in your pumpkin using your desired drill bit for the size holes you would like
• after you finish drilling, wash your pumpkin off and if necessary scrape out the inside walls one more time
• use a pipe cleaner (or two) to remove any bits that remain in your drilled holes after washing
• to illuminate your pumpkin we recommend battery powered pillar candles
we hope you make these cute pumpkin lanterns, we love how they came out. remember, shelf life for any pumpkin is about a week, so if you want yours to last through the holiday, time your carving accordingly!
project by: natalie for designlovefest
photos by: ivan solis