08.12.15

TRAVEL ESSENTIALS / GRID 04

TRAVEL_0254

traveling in style is not an easy task, i’m not one to wear full on pajamas on a plane but i do want to be comfortable. i always have a few essentials on hand that make flying a bit more enjoyable and allow me to arrive at my destination refreshed and ready for adventure. i love this post kira put together with some of her favorite items, i will definitely be adding some of these in on my next trip!

TRAVEL_0205
TRAVEL_0229

“I’ve got a month long trip to Portugal coming up which I am so excited about, (If anyone has any great tips to share, I’d love to hear them! It’s my first time- we are going all over!) so, of course, travel is on my mind. Especially those long overnight flights. I went to college in Buenos Aires, Argentina, so the long haul is not new for me. After all these years of experience, I’ve dialed in my in-flight line up. Leggings are a must for sleeping and maximum comfort so to take my outfit up a notch (and not feel blah) I pair them with a chic, oversized sweater and booties. It’s all about disguising comfort as “understated chic.” Also I know I’m always cold on the plane. A blanket-like scarf and cozy socks keep me covered, literally. And then there are all of the other little accouterments that make the trip go more smoothly and comfortably. Explore the photos below for ideas! (And do let me know about those Portugal recommendations please…)”  – kira

TRAVEL_0147

shop these items:  1. Stance Socks, 2. Emergen-C, 3. Muji Neck Pillow, 4. Commodity Perfumes, 5. Cereal City Guide, 6. Kahina Travel Set, 7. Sseko Scarf, 8. Olloclip, 9Muji eyemask, 10CC Skye Bracelets11. Cuyana Travel Set12. Tumi Passport Case, 13. Sjal Moisturizer, 14. Solow Leggings, 15. Everlane Men’s Sweater, 16. Rimowa Suitcase, 17. Aesop Hand Cream, 18Kikkerland Portable Luggage Scale, 19. S’well Water Bottle, 20. Bose Headphones, 21. Vince booties

TRAVEL_0187

styling by: kira corbin
photography by:
Ryan Dausch

Ooohhh what lovely goodies! Just like workout clothes make you want to work out, these make me want to travel – even more than I already did! Thanks for sharing your must-haves 🙂

Kaitlyn says:

These are great travel options! I am obsessed with those shoes.
    – Kaitlyn | http://www.TheCrownFox.com

rachael says:

i LOVED Portugal! I went to Porto and Lisbon in 2014. Porto is so moody and arty and it’s where JK Rowling got a bunch of inspiration for the Harry Potter books. ever wonder why those kids wear their black capes? (hint: it isn’t just cause they’re wizards! 😉 I’d suggest going on a cave tour to taste Port wine, and just explore! It’s a super fun and cool city. Lisbon is a whole mixed bag of a city! from the winding streets of alfama to belem, there’s so much to explore! you must take the light rail to belem and get Pastéis de Belém (the best!) and Monument to the Discoveries (so big!) It’s also fun to stroll around Chiado & Bairro Alto. Please also check out Arco da Rua Augusta, although some people kept trying to tell me drugs there, so watch out for that! Such a beautiful place to sit and relax after a long day, otherwise!

Robyn says:

Spend us much time in Porto as you can. It was our absolute favorite place in Portugal. We’ve even decided to retire there someday. The city itself is amazing from the food to the Port wine. You need to take at least one day hopping ftom winery to winery…ah the drunken memories. They’re all an easy walk from one another. Great base for day trips up the Douro and to places like Braga. We also loved Sintra. Very touristy but still a great little town. Miss Portugal so much!!

Sara says:

If you are staying in Lisbon make sure you visit Sintra and Cascais. Porto is great and also the Douro region. If you area travelling south I strongly advice you to get a car and explore the south coast of Alentejo.

Sara says:

If you are staying in Lisbon make sure you visit Sintra and Cascais too. Porto is great and also the Douro region. If you are travelling south I strongly advice you to get a car and explore the south coast of Alentejo.

Amy says:

So, do you actually wear those socks with those booties? Having a hard time picturing that.

bri says:

the socks are for the plane 🙂

Glad I’m not the only one wondering about the socks/booties situation! So do you just go through security barefoot?

I ask because I used to wear cute sandals to the airport but (a) having nothing between my feet and airport carpet was starting to weird me out, and (b) they weren’t great for running (or even walking a long way) to the gate. Lately, I’ve been in more of a cute purple sneakers phase, but that’s not perfect either.

Inma says:

Love the leggings and oversized jumper combo. I’m taking note for my next long haul flight. For shorter flights in Europe I normally wear a one piece jumpsuit from Urban Outfitters that is SO comfortable it feels like wearing pyjamas! (http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/uk/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=5131439785119&category=WOMENS-PLAYSUITS-JUMPSUITS-EU)

Inma x
    sunshineandglow.blogspot.com

first of all i love these posts, they really make me want to buy everything!

i’m portuguese, and agree with all of the above, september is a great month because it’s not so busy and the weather is still great. although this year lisbon is way busier than ever before.

porto is beautiful and lisbon is so charming, really really recommend exploring the south west coast, like sara said.

let me know what areas are you planning and i can recommend cool restaurants and coffee shops 🙂

Kira says:

Rachael, thank so much for the great tips! I have heard of these pasteis de belem, on my must-have list for sure.

Robyn, retiring to Porto does not sound like a bad deal. My boyfriend is already all over the motorcycle rental so we can bop from one winery to the next on windy roads alongside the Douro.

Amy/Stephanie, yes, socks are for the plane and snuggling up in the seat, my feet always get cold. And shoes are for airport. I hear you on being weirded out about walking through security barefoot, I always end up walking on the sides of my feet or heels. I haven’t come up with a great solution either. Though you could wear socks with those heels… just maybe not those ones…

Thanks Sara and Joana! Planning on hitting up all of those spots! Tavira/Olhao – Lisbon – Caldas da Rainha – Porto!

camille says:

I lived in Lisbon for 8 months in 2014, and I daydreamed of Portugal every day since I came back.

A few of my favorite spots:

Bar Park : rooftop bar with an incredible view over the bridge
    Nannarella : gelato to die for (owned by Italians) – try the basil flavour
    Taberna da Rua dos Flores : best food in Lisbon IMHO
    Jardim da Estrela : a beautiful park to spend a lazy afternoon
    Miradouro da Graçca : my favourite miradouro – beautiful view, and a quiosque to get a drink
    A Vida Portugesa : amazing, amazing, amazing store with products made in Portugal – food, clothes, beauty, home… so unique (best one is in Intendente)
    Estoril + Cascais (towns) : take the train to Estoril, walk by the water to Cascais
    Ribeira das Naus : favorite place to hang out in Lisbon.
    Praça Martim Moniz : food kiosks, live music

And in Porto:
    Miss’Opo : for brunch, beautiful setting
    Taberna do Lago : great wines, good food, good happy hour specials
    Antunes : for the pork shoulder
    A sandeira do Porto : incredibly tasty sandwiches and super cheap

Chantel says:

You will feel inspired after visiting Obidos … the whitewashed buildings make all the vibrant flowers really stand out. And of course, have some ginja when you’re there! If you’re in Lisbon, I recommend you check out the store A Vida Portuguesa, the Bairro Alto nightlife and any of the miradouros (beautiful vistas) throughout the city.

Kent says:

Woah! I’m really enjoying the template/theme of this site.
    It’s simple, yet effective. A lot of times it’s very difficult to get that “perfect balance”
    between superb usability and visual appeal.
    I must say you’ve done a very good job with this. Also, the blog loads extremely fast
    for me on Chrome. Excellent Blog!

Bri + Kira: the whole socks/no socks convo in the comments inspired a whole ‘nother post about airport footwear. Here it is, in case you’re interested: http://www.travelcraftjournal.com/best-airport-shoes/

I am thankful that I observed this site, exactly the right information that I was looking for! .