MAKE IT / TACO STAND
we had a taco party in the studio the other night and this smart DIY by varsha salvi would have been perfect! it’s true, there aren’t many great serving dishes for tacos…
CLICK THROUGH TO SEE HOW TO MAKE IT!…
“Hey there! I’m Varsha and today I would love to share this easy and very functional DIY taco stand project with y’all. I love entertaining and hosting get-togethers for friends especially during summer time. So I’m on a constant look out for cute and interesting serving-ware. Recently at one of the dinner parties, I was serving tacos as one of the dishes and just could not find anything appropriate to serve them on. That was when I thought of making this stand. It is an extremely easy to make project and can be done in just an afternoon. I bet the next time you throw a party, this stand will be the star of your food table. And, you can use this stand not only for only tacos but also for serving burrito rolls, spring rolls, carrot sticks, candy and more!”
• Thin Plywood Sheet (12 inches by 24 inches). Should be able to bend the sheet easily.
• Plank of wood for the base (4 inches by 30 inches) and about quarter inch thick
• Wooden rod (1/2 inch diameter)
• 5 wooden spheres with flat bases (1 inch diameter)
• Wooden square (1 inch by 1 inch)
• Super glue (Gorilla brand)
• 1 screw (1/2 inch) and a drill
• Sand paper / Nail File
• Draw 6 circles of about 6-inch diameter on the plywood sheet and cut them.
• File the cut circles with sandpaper or a nail file. I used the later because it gave a better grip. Remember that this sheet of wood is extremely thin so you need to be careful while sanding.
• Take 3 circles and join the top (just a small arc) with super glue. You will have 2 joints between the three circles. Repeat the same for the remaining 3 and keep them aside.
• Now mark the center of the wood plank. Cut the wooden rod about 1 foot tall. Also cut two 1-inch pieces of the rod and set aside.
• Attach the the rod at the center of base and screw it in from the bottom side. You can also do this by just using the glue, however this part of the stand needs to sturdy and so it is better to use a screw to attach it.
• Now glue the circles on either side of the rod starting from the center. Fold the plywood as you go and make sure you are folding it approximately the same width each time. Look at the stand from the side at eye-level to get an idea and make sure the folds look proportionate.
• For the last circle use the 1-inch rods on either side for the support. Make sure you glue everything properly.
• Now join the wooden spheres at the base, two on each side. For the top of the stand first glue the small 1-inch square and then join the last sphere at the top.
– You can find all these supplies at your local craft stores in the wood supplies section. (You may even find it in the doll house section sometimes.)
– Be extremely careful with the thin plywood sheet. Do not bend it with force or it will break. You can varnish the stand at the end or use a wood shellac available at any home department store. This will make it long lasting and help with warping too. You could also stain it in a different darker stain or paint it if you like. If you do choose to paint make sure you use a wood primer for the base first.
DIY, photos and styling by: varsha salvi from designforsoul