07.14.15

STRAWBERRY BASIL DAIQUIRIS

One of summer’s best seasonal treats is the strawberry, full of sweet juicy flavor. The brightness of the strawberries is preserved here by keeping them raw rather than cooking them down, and extracting the flavor by shaking them with crushed ice in a cocktail mixer along with the other ingredients. The ice compresses the ripe soft strawberries and pushes the juice out of them as you shake it, making for a very cool and deeply flavorful cocktail. – Eva

Strawberry Basil Daiquiris
By Eva Kosmas Flores of Adventures in Cooking

• 1 cup sliced strawberries
• 1 cup crushed ice
• 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
• 1/2 cup rum
• 1/4 cup basil simple syrup (recipe follows)

Basil Infused Simple Syrup

• 1 cup water
• 1 cup granulated sugar
• 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves

Directions:

– For the strawberry basil daiquiris, pour all ingredients into a cocktail shaker and shake until combined. Strain out into serving glasses. Makes two servings.

– For the basil simple syrup, bring the water and sugar to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low, add the basil leaves, and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Strain out the basil leaves and keep the infused syrup refrigerated until use.

recipe + photos by Eva Kosmas Flores of Adventures in Cooking for designlovefest– want more food posts? go here!

Liz says:

These look incredible, I’ll definitely be trying out this recipe on the weekend!

xo, Liz

Kaitlyn says:

yum! So bright and colorful!

– Kaitlyn | http://www.TheCrownFox.com

Megan says:

These look so delish. With the heat wave we have been having, I can’t think of a better drink to kick back and cool off with! These are being tested out ASAP!
    -Meg

Looks so good! Basil and strawberry are so good together– Why haven’t I made a cocktail like this yet?! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
    Happy Summer!
    xx Lane

Brooke says:

Yum! Strawberry and basil make an amazing combo. This drink looks so refreshing. I can’t wait to try it! I will have to make mine virgin this summer though (baby on the way!). Thanks for the recipe 🙂

Kathryn says:

Mmm love basil in cocktails- it’s so yummy! Thanks for the recipe!

Ashley Rose says:

These looks absolutely delicious and the lighting is lovely! Basil and strawberry are a beautiful combination.

Ashley

These are so gorgeous. They make me happy just looking at them!

Livea says:

You can try this with most fruit and It’ll work just fine, maybe skip the balsamic.And yes, fsoren fruits are fine, I used to do it all he time.But I suggest pushing the sauce throught a sieve to get rid of the little seeds.

Kylie Garner says:

Looks really refreshing. Thanks for the idea – I think I can also make this using other fruits I love.

I’m really into it, thanks for this great stuff!

Hello,
    Yammy . With the heat wave we have been having, I can’t think of a better drink to kick back and cool off with! These are being tested out ASAP!

Decanter says:

Hi, Oh my gosh! This is a great idea! And it would be great on other things as well :-).