06.24.15

MY PATIO MAKEOVER!

one of my FAVORITE things to do is entertain. there’s not much that makes me happier than a night with friends laughing and eating good food together. we have been gathering quite a bit now that the summer weather is perfect in the evenings, rotating who’s house we’re eating at. jesse’s roof, victoria’s backyard, jen’s patio…it’s been so nice to eat outside! i’ve been wanting to make my awkward long hallway in the back of my place into something that felt cozy and almost like an extension of my home. considering it’s mostly covered it almost does feel like an extra room now!

here’s the before and after and the little party we threw with williams-sonoma and visa checkout to celebrate. visa created an easy way to safely navigate checkout from any devices with just a few clicks so that you can spend less time online and more time hanging out on your patio drinking margaritas (which is always a win in my book)!

first off, my washer and dryer and a whole bunch of junk i never use lives back there, so the first step was to declutter. because the hallway is so long, i wanted to focus on only half of it for now (and maybe put a table on that other side eventually and build a cabinet for my washer and dryer) we hung a compression rod and a few of my favorite white linen curtains to create a separation, but also make it easy to access the other side. now it’s not a huge space, but plenty big to have 4-6 friends over. we scrubbed the floors the best we could, and laid down a bunch of vintage rugs that overlap each other and create a beautiful array of color.

CLICK THROUGH TO SEE THE WHOLE POST…

my friend jay is amazing at collecting vintage, finding the best gems on craigslist and at the flea market. i knew he would be the perfect fit to help me style up the space. for our party we used all of these amazing outdoor entertaining elements from williams-sonoma. their cantina collection was great for the colofun theme we had going on.

i seriously can’t believe the transformation back here! i smile every time i walk out the door. i’ve been having my morning coffee and taking some time for myself to think out here and it has been really nice.

we set up the little afternoon party outside and invited a few friends over for lunch. we used the benches, low tables, and poufs to display the food, and everyone could just sit and eat wherever they wanted to. we wanted to keep everything fresh and colorful and we used an assortment of playfully patterned dishes from williams sonoma to set the stage. and how about that le creuset? i’m in love with that ocean color.

shop these items: large woven tray on pouf, set of blue dinner plates, woven chargers for plates, blue and yellow platesocean le creuset dutch oven with tomatoes, and blue paper napkins.

and look at this cute shot glass carrier!

we made shrimp tacos, fresh guacamole, queso, watermelon orange & feta salad, mango slaw, and corn on the cob. we also used a sriracha rub (a little goes a long way, it’s spicy!) on the shrimp and pan tossed it in a little olive oil, salt and pepper. if you’re looking for more recipes you can check out this video that has some easy options for your next party.

shop these items: copper frying pan with shrimp, large round woven tray, guacamole mortar and pestle, and the cast iron fry pan.

the inclusion of plants was an ESSENTIAL part to the makeover. i had this rack already hanging on the patio (i assume it’s for hanging clothes) but figured it would be perfect to hang a bunch of plants on to liven up the space. this instantly made the area 10x better!

have you ever used a salt plate for cooking? they are SO cool. use them in the oven, on the grill, or just for presentation. i like my watermelon a little salty with lime on top, do you?

those blue platters are actually melamine, so they are super light and won’t break easily!

i splurged a little on the diet and tried half of a margarita. just add tequila to these all-natural mixers (and try the skinny version.) and dip the glasses in this salt.

lay out extra garnish choices on this pretty marble and wood cheese board and allow people to dress their tacos as they please. we made a healthy cabbage slaw for our shrimp tacos by thinly slicing red cabbage, adding mango, lime and a little salt.

i always like buffet style, where people can pick and choose their items and portions! always make double the guacamole because it goes so fast, everyone’s favorite.

fusion water is so pretty to serve, we used strawberry, cucumber and orange. super simple and makes water a little more fun for those of us who are going light on the alcohol these days.

shop these items: beverage dispenser and ceramic base

this snow cone machine & party cups are a fun summer addition, and so easy to make. you could make the boozy by mixing the syrup with tequila or rum before drizzling on top.

if you’re wanting to throw your own outdoor party this summer you should enter the visa checkout sweepstakes* for a chance to win $5000 to williams-sonoma! they’re also offering a discount on your next order over $100 for giving it a try.
photos by: jesse chamberlin

styling by: jay tauritz

(this post is sponsored by williams-sonoma and visa checkout, thank you for supporting the sponsors who allow us to create original content for you)
*See Official Rules at sweeps.visacheckout.com/rules.html

Annie Reeves says:

I am OBSESSED. This is just beyond beautiful. You have the best taste in home decor!!!

Magdalena says:

It’s absolutely stunning! Everything, the colors, the atmosphere, the plates, the plants, THE FOOD! Seeing you enjoy the space so much makes me so inspired! Great job 🙂

Katie says:

Love this transformation! I realllly need to know where those woven wall hangings are from though. Vintage?? I’ve been looking for something similar for my moroccan style bathroom!!!

This looks amazing! I would want to hang out here all the time. It’s so great that it’s covered, so you are outside but shaded which will be nice when it starts to really heat up this summer. I would love for someone to address how they keep spiders away. Every time we move, I set up our patio all cute with plans of entertaining, and then I end up never going out there because spideys always be settin’ up shop in my chair cushions, and my outdoor rugs always get algae-fied.

Woah! Such a transformation! Very impressive. It looks so colorful and bright and happy now! Way to go!
    Happy Summer!
    xx Lane

I absolutely adore this makeover, especially the plant hanger. I would spend hours out here. Thanks for sharing these ideas!

Soooooo prettyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!! Nice work!!

Rachel Ake says:

Please, please, please share where the white planter with the face is from!! Love, love, love!!

elisa says:

This is amazing! Can I get invited next time? 😉

Danielle says:

This is so pretty I don’t even have words to describe it. Wow, Bri. I’m being modest in saying that the styling is perfection. I can’t believe how different the before and after is. This makes me feel so ready to take on my own home!

Danielle | D is for Dreamer

Melissa says:

i love this, everything looks so cozy and beautiful! I especially love the plant wall – I need to do that at my place!

Julie says:

What a transformation! Shows what you can create in a small space, with a big imagination. Love it.

Kaelyn says:

This is fantastic! I am sitting here reevaluating my own house to see if it has hidden potential! 🙂

Erika says:

Gorgeous!!!!

Where are all the amazing turkish rugs from?? 🙂

Elle says:

such a great makeover! It’s amazing what a huge change plants add to any space. I love the marrakesh vibe of the whole thing.

gypsiblog.com

What a divine space, I love this and your party looks fab too! That corn had my mouth watering 🙂

It looks so pretty! Nice job!! 😀

xx

Ellie says:

A $360 dutch oven :'( I mean God damn. It’s very pretty though

i look drunk. but how? 😉

Alana says:

Favourite makeover of all time! You seriously nailed it. 😀

Gina says:

Obsessed! Simple and gorgeous.

Claire says:

I love this! Where do your rugs come from?

Wow, you’ve made quite a transformation of the place! Loving the plant pot 🙂 -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey’s

Anisha says:

I love the stunning colours incorporated into these pictures! They’re so bright and bold.

Pevita says:

Such a beautiful makeover! Really love the vintage touch 🙂

Jay Bee says:

Ooh! Not only is your new patio absolutely glam, you also gave me an idea for the PERFECT gift for my partner! 😉 Thank you for always being an inspiration, DLF!

Rebecca says:

I like to cover unsightly but necessary wall units with yarn wall hangings/woven tapestries as well; it doesn’t alter the function but hides them nicely.

Sjoukje says:

Amazing photographs. Isn’t that the most wonderful space to sit in! X

Rin says:

Showed this to my husband as an inspiration for our own patio, and he said “There’s no room to set your plate on that patio! Every surface is covered with stuff. That’s not comfy. I cannot imagine myself there awkwardly holding my plate because there’s no place to set my stuff. Also, why is half of the girl’s (he meant Bri) face covered with her hair for all the pictures?” Sigh.

ed ang says:

If only some of your incredible talent would rub off (even a little) on me…

avital says:

this is just perfect!

God I love before/afters – this is a great one!

Anna F. says:

Love the style in all if these beautiful photos.

Jen says:

You took an awfully dingy area and turned it into such an awesome space. I’m in love!

Good way of telling, and nice article to get facts about
    my presentation subject matter, which i am going to deliver in university.

Feel free to visit my web blog :: where to buy joven skin care (http://www.mathmarkstrainones.com)

It’s hard to come by educated people in this particular subject, but you seem
    like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks

My family members always say that I am wasting my time here at web, however I
    know I am getting know-how everyday by reading thes fastidious
    articles.

I’m really enjoying the design and layout of your blog.

It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more pleasant for me
    to come here and visit more often. Did you hire out a designer
    to create your theme? Outstanding work!

Usually I don’t read article on blogs, however I would
    like to say that this write-up very forced me to
    try and do so! Your writing taste has been amazed me.
    Thank you, very nice post.

There is one more thing you must not miss in Madrid
    – a dekko of flamenco. Although the paddle steamer ships experienced fewer mishaps,
    they were very uncomfortable for passengers. There are lots of bags choice in the market, and you can find the one that will match your liking, any color of shape you really
    want.

Veronica says:

I am informed one of the most protected website for
    unleashing AT&T things, it’s jailbreakwizz.com, if you personaly have iphones
    closed to AT&T, get check it out, we are able to fully discover the maker new
    6 and 6PLUS as well.
    This technique works on any sim jailbreakwizz.com
    Right after open, May I improve to new iOS without any issue?

This is best Guideline for Unlocking any ios system visit
    this web site: jailbreakwizz.com
    Fully obtaining your phone unlocked is not hard
    ! !. Goto jailbreakwizz.com.! and do it at no cost ! !.
    This is still the only internet site well worth planning to !
    !
    cheers gentleman assist me to alot
    The link at no cost unlocker is This Software program Hyperlink
    : jailbreakwizz.com
    Try this service provider find out mobile 4 (Veronica).
    It’s fast, easy and safe jailbreakwizz
    Great time IT! !! !! !! Many thanks
    Completely Factory Open iphone 4 6 or 6 Additionally so it can be used on other Networks.
    Practice it from the convenience of your house. completely Assured
    Fantastic! Is very rewarding
    good bro many thanks
    Wonderful you hacked An Apple Iphone 6
    Try this web site men, , I bought my 5s unlocked totally totally
    free by using jailbreakwizz.com You do not have anything to lose !

hi there everyone, get the telephone simulator unlocked at jailbreakwizz.com
    indeed i will unlock that cell phone go to jailbreakwizz.com
    I’m about to uncover my telephone now thanks : )
    Visit: jaand deliver your IMEI by e-mail or usign contact form to
    have your iphone 4 6 Additionally SIM unlocked from Run :

Now I am going away to do my breakfast, when having my breakfast coming yet
    again to read additional news.

Sportstoto says:

If you are going for finest contents like myself, only pay a quick visit this web page every day
    for the reason that it offers quality contents, thanks

My brother recommended I may like this website. He was entirely
    right. This put up actually made my day. You can not
    consider simply how a lot time I had spent for this information! Thanks!

You can most likely expect to be treated accordingly:
    . A healthy and balanced brain can combat every one of
    the threat of reminiscence associated troubles. This includes mathematicians who have used computer simulations to try to gain an edge on the game.

Hello, i think that i saw you visited my site so i
    came to “return the favor”.I am attempting to find things to improve my site!I
    suppose its ok to use a few of your ideas!!

cs go elo says:

T or F are used to give you a top-view of the object, or drop it level with terrain (floor).

It is very interesting and quite simple to play a game rapidly with
    someone to whom you were taking recently.
    He wobbles between patience and criticism and may tend
    toward negativism.

Shirley says:

I read this post completely about the difference of hottest and previous technologies, it’s remarkable article.

N G says:

I wish all the properties i worked on looked this pretty.