04.02.15

DIY / TOILET PAPER HOLDERS

DIY Toilet Paper Holder

i am VERY excited about this one. one night natalie and i were hanging around her house eating thai food, as usual, and we concepted this idea to upgrade your toilet paper holders in a stylish way. these are something everybody has in their homes, and they are very rarely given second thought when it comes to design. but why not? it’s so simple and can make a bathroom look that much cooler!

so we decided to make a little project out of it. we thought of hotels that we loved and designed TP holders based on their aesthetic. because we’re weird like that. but i truly love how this came out! i need to change the holder in my bathroom immediately. now, let’s get to the project and how you can make your own…

THE ACE HOTEL in PALM SPRINGS
the ace hotel is mid-century desert modern

Desert Modern Toilet Paper Holder
DIY Desert Modern Toilet Paper Holder

supplies:

• drawer pull (ours are from anthropologie here, here, here, and here. i also love this one.)

• half inch tube or pipe cut to six inches in length, you can use brass or copper pipe, we love clear acrylic tubes because you can slip any kind of colored paper or fabric inside like you see here. plexi tubes can be found online here.

• 24 inches of leather cord, rope, twine or ribbon, whichever suits your fancy

DIY Toilet Paper Holder
DIY Toilet Paper Holder

how to:

• make loops at either end of your cord that are large enough to fit around the drawer pull easily.

• drill a hole in your wall that is just slightly smaller than the hardware on the back of the drawer pull and twist the pull into the wall to create a knob.

BRI’S FUTURE HOTEL OF HER DREAMS
if my dreams come true one day and i can design a hotel, it would be scandinavian inspired with no shortage of color…

Scandinavian Inspired Toilet Paper Holder
DIY Toilet Paper Holder
DIY Toilet Paper Holder

• feed the cord through the pipe and hang both loops on the knob.

THE BEACH HOTEL in TULUM
the beach was understated luxury in a relaxed natural environment

Tulum Hotel Toilet Paper Holder DIY
DIY Toilet Paper Holder
DIY Toilet Paper Holder

• to replace your TP simply pull one loop off the knob and feed the cord through the TP roll. it’s as easy as that!

THE VICEROY in LA
classic sophistication and contemporary chic

Contemporary Chic Toilet Paper Holder DIY
DIY Toilet Paper Holder

which style is your favorite? hopefully your mind is spinning with what materials you are going to use to make your own at home!

DIY Toilet Paper Holder

photos by: jesse chamberlin
art direction by: bri emery, designlovefest
props by: natalie shriver

Kat says:

Well damnit now I’ll never be happy with a normal toilet paper holder again. ::shakes fist::

Looking up tubes now….

Kelsey says:

So THIS is why I’ve lived in my house for 6 months without a TP holder.. I’ve been waiting on this! <3
    I really need to know where the tribal decorative paper came from, it's gorgeous.

Very original! Amazing imagination, happy Easter!

so rad! you and natalie outdid yourselves! now, when does your new line of designer toilet paper come out!?!

Lori says:

These are really pretty! I have a question, though. Are these used to dress up an extra replacement roll or to use as your main toilet paper holder? It looks like there is a decorative paper cover on each one, and I’m curious about what happens to that if it is in use. Does it have to come off and be replaced each time? Of course this isn’t a consideration if it is for a backup roll.

bri emery says:

hey lori! the paper is just to add some style to the photos 🙂 i also thought it would be cool if a hotel did put a paper over the roll when you check in. something that fits the design of the room…

Amy says:

Plexi tube link is broken! These look great, though.

These are so nice and they look pretty easy to recreate. Who knew toilet paper could be so fabulous? Bathroom makeover, here I come!

bri emery says:

amy, link is fixed now thanks for the heads up!

cleshawn says:

I must try this!

jen says:

you guys KILLED it.

Margery Ho says:

This is so adorable! x

Blog A Girl with a Camera
    Youtube A Girl with a Camera

Mary says:

Haha, you ladies are my favorite! I laughed aloud at “BRI’S FUTURE HOTEL OF HER DREAMS”- and of course, I loved this TP holder the most. This idea is so out of the box and I love that you went out on a whim and gave it a go- it turned out beautifully.

xo Mary
    Mostly Salty

What a fab idea, and it looks great! I walked into my toilet holder the other week and broke it off my wall… I guess this is a sign – teehee.

Jess X

Pat Mc says:

(.5 Lori). Loved the different designs. Yrs ago, there were dia-per covers that these remind me of. How does the cover get attached. Maybe velcro is the answer. You could just pull the front back, take the paper you need, then pull the front back in place at the front. You could have a new design when the mood moves you. (pardon the pun!)

Kari says:

These are so fun! Really takes the bathroom up a notch!
    Kari

Anonymous says:

This is a good one.

Robyn says:

Love them, I’m going to visit the hardware & craft store.

monalinda says:

Love this idea. We have a few bathrooms where the wall won’t hold the standard 1950 holders. Wr have so many vintage drawer pulls. Can’t wait to find the perfect dowel and we are there!

lysette says:

really nice, but you don’t say how to make the toilet paper roll (colors)

Gene Clarke says:

Where do you get the toilet paper?

Pearl says:

Great idea for camping . Just fasten to a limb . No more dropped TP.

Janet Tarrant says:

I loved these! But wondering where I can purchase toilet paper like these…I looked online but could not locate anything close to these designs….thanks!

Maria says:

I don’t think they will answer you on the TP subject. I signed on for their new feed I think it’s called and there was not answer there either. So I decide to type down designer toilet paper on bing and got a whole world of designer toilet paper. There was one area if you scrolled down to. You know when you type something your looking for and it gives you several sites to look at, well not to far down was a row of arty toilet paper and I went on that site. Talk about colorful and really beautiful prints. There was stunning, goofy, cartoonish, and bold solid colors that were very bright like: Blue, black, pink, etc. But you had to go thru. Bing. Nice. I am going to get the bold colors. Just for the heck of it.

Unical says:

OMG! This is beautiful! I never thought toilet paper holder can be small piece of art!

bri emery says:

hi guys! so the patterned toilet paper is actually just a paper cover for the outside. we scanned patterns, got patterned paper and cut to size. it would be cool for a guest to arrive with a custom paper, or like i mentioned in a hotel! as for buying a whole roll of it, one of us is going to have to invent some 🙂 -bri

martha says:

What is the draw pull on the first one called. I went to anthropologie but can’t you find it. That is perfect

Lucy says:

how do you make the covers. Do you put them on and take them off ?

Kathleen says:

the first one is actually a curtain tie-back not a drawer pull
    look for ‘equestrian tie-back’ I believe.

vinti says:

Very nice idea-have to try this out! 🙂 http://www.vintagist.com

What’s up Dear, are you really visiting this web site daily,
    if so after that you will without doubt obtain fastidious experience.

Samantha says:

Great idea – love it!

I know this web site presents quality dependent content
    and extra material, is there any other website which gives these kinds of things in quality?

IT services says:

It’s going to be ending of mine day, except before ending I am reading this enormous article to improve my know-how.

Kathy says:

I love it, Who would have thought of an idea like that. Hats off

Paulina says:

I am in love with this idea! I have had the hardest time finding pipe though. The pipes I do find all have the nipple on the edges, I like the look of the smooth pipe like in the pics though. Would you know where to get it?
    Thx for you time