02.20.15

LOOKING FOR A NEW COUCH

10 cool couches | designlovefest

i’ve always been a fan of a good statement couch. a bold color, a funky texture or shape. i recovered my mid-century brown tweed couch with a bright teal fabric a few years ago. eventually, my cat turned the bottom of it into her personal scratch post and it’s looking pretty sad these days. aaaand it’s generally just not very comfortable for movie watching. it’s good looking, but i think i’m ready to invest in something a little more lounge-worthy. i’ve been searchingย around for inspiration…

10 cool couches | designlovefest

my current couch above (in not that great of shape)

10 cool couches | designlovefest
10 cool couches | designlovefest
10 cool couches | designlovefest

i want the kind of couch you want to fall into after work with blankets and not get up for hours.

10 cool couches | designlovefest
10 cool couches | designlovefest
10 cool couches | designlovefest

i would be open to leather, linen, velvet. i can’t decide! if you know any great couch leads, let me know please.

10 cool couches | designlovefest
10 cool couches | designlovefest

(photos, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)

Chloe says:

These are gorgeous! I’m actually in the middle of redecorating my living room right now and have been looking for couches too. Mine right now is an old, ugly yellow-brown handmedown that I’ve let my toddler eat on too many times. I’m looking for a grey fabric (I’m really against suede and leather couches) sofa right now. Good luck in your hunt! I found that Rooms To Go seemed to have some good prices. I found one I’m interested in on sale for $450.

Claudia says:

whatever you do, don’t get a linen cover! I had several velvet couches and they held up beautifully to any cat claw assaults. Got a very comfortable deep seated, just like you describe couch from crate and barrel a few years ago, with linen covers and its a disaster. They SHRED it in no time! Unless you want to get rid of your cat (which I hope you don’t!) keep a fabric in mind that withstands claws. ๐Ÿ™‚

That is one awesome yellow little sofa. We are also looking for a great leather sofa that can handle the heat of the Caribbean the whole year long. It’s really hard to find one here on the island and if we do find one it will be like a mortgage. Too freaking expensive. I really like the brown leather one in your choices. ๐Ÿ™‚

samae claspill says:

Dwell Studio. Fairfax Sofa. This is on my list, but needs to be in my living room.

Christina says:

Check out Bryght.com!

I have the Sven Charme Tan Sofa at home. I am so happy I went this route instead of going to a traditional box store because I saved a ton of money on a really nice, comfortable couch.

Sonia says:

Hi Christina,

I’m a budget conscious expectant mom spending too much time researching candidates for a new couch. I came across your comment about the Sven couch (which is currently my top candidate) and was hoping you could help me with a few quick questions.

– I saw some people complaining how the cushions tend to lose their shape and sag after only a few months. Now that you had yours for a while, how well has it kept its shape?

– is there a way to re-stuff the back/seat cushions? (E.g. zipper in the back?)

– how easily does it scratch? We have a 3 year old German Shepherd mix. He is a very gentle, obedient dog most of the time, but he is still a dog ๐Ÿ™‚ I like that the couch has a natural aged look so the scratches could blended in. Still, I want to make sure it isn’t too delicate.

I’d really really appreciate learning your thoughts and experience with this couch. Thank you in advance!!

Best,
    Sonia

Lilia says:

Hi Sonia,
    I came across your post when searching for Sven sofa reviews. You had asked him the questions I want to know more about, but I don’t see a response to your post. Did you end up buying the sofa ? If so could you please tell me if the seat and the cushions are firm?
    I really appreciate your help.

cristina says:

Hi, did yo end up purchasing the sven sofa? I am interested in it and wanted to get your feedback

bri says:

we purchased it and we love it! we have it in the tan leather. it’s super comfortable and really deep so you can full bring your legs up or lay down on it with comfort. A lot of midcentury sofas are narrow which i don’t love. we’ve had it for 2.5 years and it still looks great! hope that helps!

Lis says:

I highly recommend Estonian design – check out Oot-Oot sofa.

maria anne says:

Word of warning – leather looks horrible once the cat scratches it. My cat completely ruined my leather couch!! Velvet is the way to go. Or a really tight-knit canvas! I ended up requesting a bunch of upholstery samples and then going at it with a sharp needle to see how well it’d hold up to scratching. A MUST!

shayna says:

Room and Board has AMAZING comfortable sofas that also look fantastic. They can be pricey, but it’s worth the long term investment. I would also recommend getting something comfortable, yet firm, because it will last longer over time. Especially for such a big money investment. But definitely go to Room and Board and sit on them and see for yourself.

ALSO a trick to keeping cats away is double stick tape. Our cats tore up our first couch, and when we dropped big money on a replacement we were determined to keep cats off. It totally worked for us. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007I08FI4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Betsie says:

If you have a cat that likes to scratch, I would definitely steer clear of leather, velvet, or tweed. Sadly, microfiber is the way to go. BUT! There are some really lovely microfiber options out there. We have this couch and love it! http://www.bostoninteriors.com/furniture/living_room/sofas/all_sofas/draper-81-sofa.cfm
    Otherwise, Fab has some super comfy looking couches.

zandra zuraw says:

Ooooh, these couches are drool-worthy! Totally agree about having a fantastic statement couch. It really adds so much of your personality to a room. But I get wanting it to be comfy, too. You gotta be able to relax in it. A few years ago when we were starting our business, named “Little Yellow Couch” we were on the hunt for the perfect one. We eventually hooked up with an upolsterer who found an old frame with terrible stuffing and we had him re-do it in velvet yellow, add tufting and expose the wooden legs. We love it! (www.littleyellowcouch.com)

Linda says:

are you familiar with Cantoni? When I want inspiration that’s my go to place. Also Room and Board is a great resource for fun sofas.

luisa says:

Interior Define has great sofas at affordable prices… http://www.interiordefine.com/

aimee says:

i too am a fan of bright colored couches and the power they have in a living room. however, i feel like i must warn you against this cb2 couch. i have it in orange and love the shape, but it’s the LEAST comfortable piece of furniture i’ve ever sat on ๐Ÿ™ http://www.cb2.com/sofas/furniture/flex-frost-sleeper-sofa/f9229

excited to see what you pick!

taylof says:

I have a couch you might want! I’m in Chicago though. Not sure what shipping would be. It crushed green velvet. Curved and about 15 ft long.

Janel Afjari says:

Check out deco home in Costa Mesa at The OC Mix… May be a little ways from you BUT THEY ARE FULLY CUSTOM – can literally design your dream couch!! Ask for Jessica she is a huge help and knows her stuff! Their phone # 714-444-4040

Seriously worth a trip – you will love this place!

Marissa says:

Casco Bay Furniture makes beautiful sofas. I have a leather one done by them(almost an exact Restoration Hardware replica, much higher quality though & about half the price!). Just ordered s second slipcovered sofa from them yesterday. I highly recommend them.

Ooh I love these! I have the IKEA Karlstad couch, and while I love the way it looks, you need lots of pillows to make it lounge-worthy. Our cat has also turned it into a scratching post, though, so we’re just happy we can replace the cover for $30. A beautiful, cozy sofa has to wait, but I love looking anyway! (Btw, LOVE your bright teal sofa!)

megan says:

we have cats as well, and have found this (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S09896990/) sofa to fit our needs. the cats don’t really scratch it, but the fabric can take it when they do. it’s fit six adults comfortably on it before (though you can purchase the smaller version if space is an issue). and though this is slightly embarrassing, some nights i prefer to sleep on the sofa rather than my super cozy bed.

Melissa says:

By a long shot, Montauk Sofa. Handmade, and the most comfortable thing you’ll ever sit on. It’s a Canadian company, and only two USA showrooms are NYC and Chicago… at least it’s two states you visit often.

Ana R says:

Love the grey one and the last one in yellow!

Christina says:

I forgot to add, my cat used to scratch up the couch until we got her THIS.

She has absolutely no interest in the couch. Cats prefer to scratch cardboard.

Logan says:

Velvet! Velvet! Velvet!

Veronica says:

I love a good statement couch, especially a pastel one on white walls. Great picks!

Rachel says:

I’ll add to the velvet love and say it has been the BEST with cats. We have 3 cats right now and there are no scratches to be seen (there is nothing really for their claws to grab on to so they can’t pull any threads or make marks like in leather). Plus it’s been very easy to clean with any spills or pet messes and it’s worn very well. Happy hunting!

Tyler Anne says:

Your couch now, and your entire living room is gorgeous! I love the chair too! DON’T CHANGE A THING! Although, I AM one of those people that do need change every once in awhile, so I get it. Haha. Good luck!

Hanh says:

Awesome selection! I love the pink. Just made my velvet couch obsession are reality a few months ago and love it! … from anthro, they have a great collection!

Rudi says:

Go through Scout & Nimble!! They have the cutest stuff, and it’s usually on some sort of sale. scoutandnimble.com

Gahh I love your bright couch! I also love the pink one you have in the DLF studio. Because of you, I’ve been looking for a bright couch for my own place! Of your options above, I’m loving the yellow one and that cognac leather couch looks absolutely comfy. ๐Ÿ˜€

xo Melyssa
    The Nectar Collective

Rachel says:

Another recommendation for microfiber for cats. I’ve also heard cats leave velvet alone, but I’ve never tested that. Unfortunately it really limits your selection, but it’s worth it to keep your couch from getting shredded. We got ours from Mitchell Gold several years ago during a sale, and it’s been totally durable and comfortable. It’s almost too easy to fall asleep on, and super stain resistant.

I recently also in a couch… upgrading from a Pier 1 double papasan to West Elm’s Paidge Sofa in teal. It’s super comfortable and even though my cats scratch it, it doesn’t show their work as much as I would think. Happy hunting!

Kaleigh says:

I am in love with all velvet sofas right now! They are gorgeous and would look amazing in your space! I will miss your sofa though! It’s so beautiful in that space!

Don’t go for linen covers. Select the one which withstands the claws of your pet.

I love all these, especially the yellow ones. We’re in the market for a new couch too, but on a budget as we have to furnish an entire apartment. I’m actually really impressed with what Ikea has to offer right now…

Aubrey says:

Hi Bri,

I actually may need to sell my couch (by this Sunday) – it’s beautiful and I am so in love with it, but it’s probably not going to fit the space I need to move into. I purchased the couch from an Interior Designer, she custom made the couch for her own home – it’s suede and very comfortable, I’ve often slept there when I can’t sleep in my bed. The outer park of the couch is a soft blue and the cushions are mustard – color-wise obviously you can change that. The couch was in storage for a while so there are a few scrapes on the edges, but otherwise in pretty great condition. email me at [email protected], I will send pictures, or for anyone else interested. It’s really al lovely couch and frankly I don’t want to part with it, but I’m pretty sure I have to :(.

Taylor says:

These couches are superb! ….bit pricey but couches are for a life time! http://www.montauksofa.com/

Bailey says:

The orange one near the end looks the coziest to me, but I’m not crazy about the color! I love the cool legs that are on these couches ๐Ÿ™‚

s says:

i have the jasper from room and board. most comfortable couch in the world!

Room & Board has wonderfully awesome sofas. We have a bright orange one in our home – the Andre sofa and love it!(I don’t think it comes in that color anymore).It’s perfect when the hubs and I watch a movie, there is plenty of room for both of us to sprawl out on it. Good luck and fun shopping! http://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/living/sofas/andre-sofas#tab-product-details

Alice says:

The grey one looks beautiful AND comfy, the others don’t look that comfy to me. I love your current one, it still looks great in pictures!

Amy says:

Find a representative of Lee Industries. Their furniture is amazingly sturdy, well-designed and reasonably priced – especially if you can find someone who will order it for you at or near cost. Look at the rub count of the fabric you use for upholstery. I ordered velvet fabric through my designer friend because Lee didn’t stock the color I wanted, and she had it sent to Lee. It didn’t cost much more to do this than to use one of Lee’s fabrics. Finally, a tip from my friend: make sure to check that the arm height is comfortable for you.

Cuong Nguyen says:

I like the orange sofa and the home interior design. It makes the visitors feel comfortable when they enter the room.