02.10.15

HOW TO MAKE A NAKED CAKE

i’m so excited to feature this beautiful cake and the tutorial for how you can make it at home (maybe for valentine’s day?!) sara from matchbox kitchen came to the studio last week and showed us the pro tips and tricks for assembling our own. she made it look so simple, i might even try to make one!

DSC_7410

How To Make A Two Tiered Naked Cake

Supplies:

• 4″ and 6″ cake, each about 2″-3″ tall
• sturdy frosting, such as american buttercream or italian meringue buttercream
• fresh fruit, sliced for filling and whole for decoration (raspberries and strawberries are used here)
• small offset spatula
• small pastry brush
• powdered sugar
• cake stand or cardboard cake board
• 6″ bamboo skewer, optional

DSC_7499

CLICK THROUGH TO SEE THE WHOLE POST…

Assembly:

• Slice each cake into three even layers. Place the bottom layer of the 6″ cake on a disposable cake board or cake stand.

• Add a dollop of frosting to the center of the cake, then use a small offset spatula to gently push out to the edges. Place prepared fruit on top of frosting. Add second layer of cake and repeat frosting and fruit. Make sure each layer of cake is centered and even.

• To add the top tier, place a small smear of frosting in the center of the 6″ cake and place the bottom layer of the 4″ cake on top. The frosting will help secure it in place. Add a dollop of frosting to the center of the cake, then use a small offset spatula to gently push out to the edges. Place prepared fruit on top of frosting. Add second layer of cake and repeat frosting and fruit.

• To finish, decorate top layers of the 4″ and 6″ cake with more frosting and whole, fresh fruit. Use your offset spatula to give swoops and texture to the frosting. Fill in any holes between the layers with more frosting and fruit to make the layers more noticeable, if necessary. Using a pastry brush, dust the edges of the cake with powdered sugar. Simply dip your brush into the sugar and gently sweep the sides of the cake.

DSC_7581

• Dust the entire cake with more powdered sugar, paying attention to the fresh whole fruit.

Optional: If transporting, stick a bamboo skewer cut to the height of your cake and push down the center of the entire assembled cake.

Tips:

• Best assembled shortly before eating. Because the outside is exposed, the cake will dry out much quicker than usual.

• Use a cake that is sturdy but not too heavy. I like to make a sponge cake (recipe below).

• Use a frosting that will help support the layers. For example, a whipped cream may start weeping or squeeze out the edges. I like to use a meringue buttercream.

• When cutting the cake layers, use a bread knife to gently and carefully cut each layer as even as possible. You may use toothpicks measured and inserted around the cake to help guide you.

• Make sure each layer you place (cake, frosting, fruit) are the same thickness. This will help your entire cake stay level.

Sponge Cake Recipe

• 200 g (14 tbsp or 1 3/4 sticks) butter, softened
• 200 g (1 cup) sugar
• 200 g (1 2/3 cup) all purpose flour
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 4 eggs
• 2 tbsp milk

• Preheat oven to 350° F.

• Prepare 4″ and 6″ round cake pan by greasing the bottom and sides, and lining the bottom with parchment paper. Re-grease top of parchment, then lightly dust interior of pan with flour. Set aside.

• In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.

• In the bowl of a stand or hand mixer, beat together butter and sugar on medium speed until lightened and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, until incorporated. Add milk and mix.

• With mixer on low, add flour mixture in three parts until just combined. Do not over-mix. Batter will be thick.

• Scoop batter into prepared pans, with one third in the 4″ pan and two thirds in the 6″ pan. Use an offset spatula to smooth out the top.

• Place cake pans in the oven and bake the 4″ cake for 25 minutes, and the 6″ pan for 15-20 minutes longer, or until top is golden brown and a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the center.

• Let cool for 5 minutes, then loosen the cake by gently running an offset spatula between the cake and cake pan. Invert onto cooling rack and let cool completely.

cake recipe, tips and tricks by: matchbox kitchen
photos by: Ivan Solis

Chelsea says:

I wish I would have had this last month, I wanted to make one for my daughters birthday and it didn’t quite turn out as cute as this one:)

Kathryn says:

I love the trend of naked cakes and how they are growing in popularity! They look so fancy and involved but this makes it seem more manageable. Great tips – thank you!

x Kathryn
    Through the Thicket

Helen says:

where are these cake stands from ?! thanks!

Silvia says:

Goodness, now I’m craving cake. And strawberries.
    Sadly our oven is broken…
    Looks absolutely delicious!

Jessica says:

Seems delicious and it looks amazing, I’ll have to try x

Katie says:

That looks easy enough for me, and delicious! Thank you for sharing this recipe! Can’t wait to try it out!

This looks so yummy and beautiful, thank you!
    xo Hannah
    The Braided Bandit

maggie says:

I am sitting in bed, looking at this post, and thinking…”I mean, I can eat cake for breakfast, right? That is an adult decision to make, yeah?”

Awesome post. Definitely trying this one out soon.

maggie

Susan says:

This is lovely! Yum

Cassie says:

Did she make her own frosting? I’d love a recipe for that as well!

I’ve been eyeing up naked cakes on Pinterest for weeks. Plus, as much as I love me some icing… having less is definitely a reason to have another slice. Right?!

Helen says:

I love the food styling aspect of this post! I love reading over recipes on blogs, but I’m always disappointed when whatever I make doesn’t come out looking as beautiful as the pictures. I’ll definitely be making this cake in the future!

-Helen

Vanessa says:

Lovely cake. It’s interesting that it’s considered trendy in the US! Hehe. In England this is just plain old-fashioned Victoria Sandwich cake and is made by young and old for the last 100 years.

wild nettle says:

WOW and really lovely pictures 🙂

Ka-Yun Chan says:

I adore naked cake. I’m not a big fan of frosting. my boyfriend on the other hand is.. we will just have to find the middle for both of us! 😀

This is a great tutorial and gorgeous cake!! Thanks!

Veronica says:

That looks beautiful and delicious! Sometimes frosting can overwhelm the flavor of the cake, this is the perfect solution.

Margery Ho says:

This is so delicious! x

Blog A Girl with a Camera

Gorgeous! I love the idea of having the smaller tiers, I will be trying this for sure. Beautiful photos as always x A

Jess says:

I don’t think I could ever get a cake to look that good. So simple and beautiful! Thanks for the tips.

Anisha says:

That looks so delicious omg! I’m really hungry now!

meg says:

so pretty…one of my friends had a naked cake at her rustic themed wedding and it was the most gorgeous wedding cake i had ever seen!

@waterlilyshop

Barbara says:

I’m doing a naked wedding cake this year and am in the process of researching as much as I can. How many would this entire cake serve? And how do you cut it? Thanks

Rachel says:

When someone writes an paragraph he/she keeps the idea of a user in his/her brain that how a user can be aware of it.
    Therefore that’s why this paragraph is outstdanding. Thanks!

Jennifer says:

This looks SO good!

Hey Bri! This naked cake seems delicious! I´ll try to make it too! thank you! 🙂

miaa says:

My naked cake comes out very hard on the outside and has extremely crusty edges.how do i avoid this issue? I am clearly doing something wrong and it is highly frustrating.