ORANGE SHERBET CAKE
we’re excited to announce the addition of a new food contributor to the DLF team. his name is ivan and he’ll be posting amazing new recipes. welcome, ivan! we’re happy to have you. hope you all enjoy his fresh take on frosting a cake!
Orange Sherbet Cake
What you’ll need:
• Cake mix (one box for a 6 inch baking pan)
• Frosting (two containers)
• Food coloring (red and yellow)
• Fresh oranges (enough to make a cups worth of juice)
• Use your favorite white or yellow cake mix and substitute water with fresh squeezed orange juice. Helpful hint: Using pre packaged juice will prevent your cake from rising to its true potential. So use the fresh stuff for the right texture. I baked the cake in 6″ rounds and made four layers but you could do more or less depending on your needs.
• After following the baking instructions on your mix, make sure to use a tooth pick to see if your cake is all the way cooked through. If you are making multiple layers have the cakes cool off completely before proceeding to the next step. It makes for easy assembling and icing. I like to keep them cool in the fridge overnight for easy assembly the next day.
• Cut off the top of the cake to even it out and put white frosting in between the layers and the top of the cake. Then make two small batches of icing in the colors you want to use for the outside. In this case its orange and pink in a light pastel color. A little bit of food coloring goes a long way! Just one drop of red and two of yellow will make orange, and two drops of red and one of yellow makes pink. Stir until the color is even.
• With a piping bag and frosting tip ice layers of frosting around the cake using the colors you pre made, using the pink at the bottom, orange in the middle and white frosting on the tops of the cake. Using an offset spatula even out all the frosting until you get a desirable blend of the colors. If you miss a spot make sure to clean your tools completely before going over a previous portion of the cake.
• The end result is a creamy fluffy cake with the hint of orange perfect for the citrus season we all love. Enjoy!
photos by: Ivan Solis