12.11.14

PEPPERMINT CHOCOLATE CAKE

“The holidays are the perfect time to make desserts that are a little more decadent than usual. You add a little more booze to everything, most things end up coated in chocolate, and the most dessert-oriented nouns that be crammed into a sweet’s title, the better. This cake follows along with that idea, and incorporates melted chocolate and Dutch-processed cocoa in the batter. The buttercream, however, is a striking white and combines sweet and salty with a salted peppermint flavoring. The result is a cake that satisfies everyone’s sweet tooth and tastes entirely of the season.” – Eva

Peppermint Chocolate Cake with Salted Peppermint Buttercream

• 1 cup butter, softened
• 3 cups powdered sugar
• 3 tablespoons heavy cream
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract

• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease and lightly flour 3 (8-inch) cake pans and set aside.

• In a small bowl, mix together the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt until well-blended. Set aside.

• In the top of a double boiler, melt the dark chocolate, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and whisk in the oil, vanilla, and peppermint. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well between each addition. Gradually add the flour mixture, alternating between adding the flour mixture and the water. Add the milk and stir until a batter has formed.

• Evenly distribute the batter between the three cake pans and place in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into one of the pans comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes before removing the cake from the
pan and allowing the layers to cool on a wire rack.

• While the cake is baking and cooling, you can prepare the buttercream. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together all ingredients until a smooth, whipped buttercream forms.

• Once the cakes have cooled, lightly frost each layer and then the entire cake.  Serve immediately.

(recipe + photos by Eva Kosmas Flores of Adventures in Cooking for designlovefest– want more food posts? go here!)

Chelsea says:

wow- it looks and sounds so delicious!! I love the way you decorated it too, so festive and happy!

Jessica Rose says:

That looks gorgeous….although mine will be a flat nightmare!!

rae says:

Wow this looks so yummy. Thanks for sharing this great recipe with us and Eva can take some really lovely photos!

rae of love from berlin

Lisa says:

Thanks for sharing, I want to make this for Christmas Eve!

MB says:

Looks so good. cant wait to make

Ahhh I’m so hungry now!!! I know it’s cake but I think I could have this for lunch today. 😀

This looks delicious. I’ve been on a chocolate and peppermint kick myself, so I may have to give this a try!

Cindy Aiton says:

Yum! It looks beautiful and sounds delicious. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

Verity says:

All I can say is, are you f’ing kidding me?! This has to be the best idea for a cake EVER. Thank you thank you thank you!

Tiffany says:

These photos are really beautiful. I love how dark and moody they are. And I want that cake!!

Kristine says:

Oh my gosh, that looks so delicious! I need to try this.

Peppermint brownies are delicious too! -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey’s

I love the peppermint-chocolate combo this time of year!

Sandra says:

I just confirmed with my bank this morning that 20,000 was transferred to my bank account from MOHAMMED FINANCIALS where I applied for a loan and so am asking you all in need of loan to apply via their email mohammedfinancials@hotmail.com

Alex says:

Oh my goodness! This cake looks [and looks like it tastes] amazing!

Kolev says:

If i have time probably i would love to make this cake!
    Looks amazing! <3

meg says:

this looks amazing!!!

@waterlilyshop

This excellent website truly has all the info I wanted about
    this subject and didn’t know who to ask.

It’s amazing to visit this web page and reading the views
    of all mates concerning this paragraph, while I am also zealous of getting knowledge.

Definitely believe that that you said. Your favorite justification appeared to be on the net the simplest thing to have in mind of.
    I say to you, I definitely get irked at the same time as
    people consider concerns that they just don’t know about.
    You managed to hit the nail upon the top and defined out the
    entire thing without having side effect , other folks can take a
    signal. Will likely be back to get more. Thanks

While I initially commented I clicked the “Notify me when nnew
    responses are added” checfkbox and after his each time a feedback is extra I get a loot of emails
    with the exact same provide feedback. Could there really be any way you can eliminate
    women aand men from that service plan? Many thanks!

Great items from you, man. I’ve have in mind your stuff prior to and you’re simply
    too great. I actually like what you have acquired
    right here, certainly like what you are saying and the best way in which you assert it.
    You’re making it entertaining and you continue to care for to keep it smart.
    I cant wait to read much more from you. That is actually
    a wonderful web site.