08.27.14

LABOR DAY SNACK!

IMG_5985

if you’ve ever been to los angeles in the summer you’ve probably seen tiny fruit stands with colorful umbrellas strewn all over the city. you can buy a plastic bag full of fresh cut fruit and veggies for $5. when you buy it, they always ask if you want lime and chili powder on top. the combination of the two with a little sea salt is so delicious, especially on mango and jicama. you should try this snack for your labor day festivities!

IMG_5837
IMG_5811

it’s such a simple idea and would be delicious to serve at a summer party. we created individual paper cones and lined them in plastic (read how to make them after the jump) as a fun way to hand them to your guests individually and let them add their own chili and salt as desired.

IMG_5865

what we used:

• 3 cucumbers
• 2 jicama
• 4 mangos
• 3 limes
• chili powder
• sea salt

IMG_5954
IMG_5919

how to make them:
• peel the cucumber, jicama, and mango and cut length wise into long, thin slices. lay the fruit flat on a try and just before serving squeeze the juice of three limes over the fruit and toss by hand.
• stack the cut fruit and veggies in the cones and either pre-sprinkle the salt and chili powder on each cone or allow guests to add on their own.

CLICK TO READ HOW TO MAKE THE PLASTIC LINED CONES…

IMG_6012

to make the cones we cut an 11″ square piece of paper (can make it bigger or smaller depending on preference) in half, diagonally. then we cut the edges off a zip block back and put the corner of one of the plastic sheets against the corner of the paper triangle and trimmed the access from the bottom. after that we lined the inside of the paper triangle with clear adhesive and placed the plastic on top. watch this video to learn how to make a similar version of the cone that we used. seal the bottom of the cone with a piece of double sided tape and you’re all set!

(photos by sheila gim for designlovefest– want more food posts? go here!)

yum! i love fresh lime juice on mango.

kiki says:

Looks yummny. I’ll be making those plastic lined cones for our Monday BBQ.

Ooo! How deliciously refreshing…

Mandy says:

Love how you made the cone for them! This looks so refreshing and yummy. xo

Mandy

I just moved to the USA for college last week (my freshman year, eek!). This post has gotten me excited for Labor Day! My first classes start the day after 🙂 -Audrey | Brunch at Audrey’s

Leanne says:

this is what my mother always makes, but she normally uses less ripe mangoes or any fruit which is still a little sweet/sour because it’s not ripe yet.

You better be using the right chili powder aka Tajin!

Mandy V says:

These look incredible. Never would have thought to cut them up like this!

204 Park says:

Um- YUM! What a fun idea, thanks for sharing! XO, D

Evelyn Theus says:

What a great idea. I will keep it in mind for my next party.

danielle says:

I always forget how delicious jicama can be – what a fun way to serve this.

Bailey says:

These sound incredible. Can’t say I would have thought to add chili and salt to my fruit sticks!

I really love this snack combination. I always buy this and eat, but now I can try this at home. Thank you for sharing this wonderful recipe.

Candy says:

What a fantastic idea! I’m from the UK and we don’t have stalls selling fruit with lime and chilli anywhere here (as far as I know!) but it sounds absolutely delicious, so I’ll just have to make it myself! 🙂

Owl Girl | A London lifestyle blog