08.12.14

FAVE NETFLIX DOCUMENTARIES PT.3

i’ve been sick for a few days now, which means a looooot of couch & netflix time. i could watch documentaries ALL day long, i just love them. here’s a few more of my favorites recently. (see more of my netflix faves here and here) and of course i would be grateful for more of your suggestions!

CLICK THROUGH TO READ ABOUT THEM AND WATCH TRAILERS:

ELAINE STRITCH: SHOOT ME

hilarious and inspiring. a must see if you like ladies with spunk.

line

DIANA VREELAND: THE EYE HAS TO TRAVEL

one of my absolute favorite documentaries! she is such a genius.

line

THE CENTRAL PARK FIVE

what an insane story! this one will make your blood boil a little bit and keep you highly interested in the case…

line

WEST OF MEMPHIS

after watching all three Paradise Lost movies (so good) about the mysterious murder of three little 8 year old boys, i was still VERY into this latest film about it. another one that will get you all worked up while you watch…

line

20 FEET FROM STARDOM

i am a big soul music fan, so this film made me very happy to watch. really touching stories.

line

RIZE

um, this one is crazy! you won’t even believe how these people can move their bodies. pure entertainment, i tell ya. (and it’s a david lachapelle movie!)

wanna see more movies i loved? there’s a post here and here.

Logan says:

If you haven’t already, you should really try and check out the documentary Dear Zachary. But only check it out if you can be emotionally out of commission for a few hours, hahahaha.

The Woman Who Wasn’t There was really intriguing as well.

Definitely going to check out your recommendations while I pack today!

Ruth says:

I’ve been thinking of checking out TALHOTBLONDE, Logan is right too, Dear Zachary might be one of my favourite documentaries of all time, despite the emotional rollercoaster.

Thanks for sharing! I’ve added four of these to my Netflix queue.

Allywan says:

I have two weeks off before school starts up again. I know what I’ll be doing. Thanks for the recs.

You should try chasing ice! It’s beautiful and informative (and slightly terrifying, if I’m being honest)

sbort says:

i still have a “free the west memphis three” bumper sticker on my car. that one runs deep. great choices. i might add “i think we’re alone now” (creepy and awkward and wonderful), “tallhotblond” (shocking and necessary, about catfishing), “blackfish” (devastating), and “the elephant in the living room” (devastating but hopeful). i love documentaries and have had a list of netflix recommendations waiting in my blog’s “drafts” folder for months 😀

my husband is obsessed with documentaries…hence, we watch them most nights ;). thanks for sharing!

Thanks for the recs! I recently watched Blackfish as well as the Chipotle documentary, and liked them both!

Christine F. Mitchell says:

Good idea to post these recs! My friend Jay Bulger wrote, directed, and narrated the doc “Beware of Mr. Baker” about the crazy drummer Ginger Baker. It is pretty awesome. Avail on Netflix.

Fabiola says:

Thanks for your suggestions Bri! I’m definitely going to watch the Central Park Five. I recommend the Ai Wei Wei: Never Sorry doc on Netflix, it’s just awesome. I also enjoy watching the 30 for 30 sports documentaries, particularly the one about Tonya Harding/Nancy Kerrigan and The Two Escobars.

bri emery says:

i loved those 30 for 30 docs! especially those two!

Jessica says:

This one isn’t on Netflix, but if you have access to HBO Go I recommend 112 Weddings. It’s about a documentary filmmaker who shoots weddings as a side gig, then revisits the couples years later to see how their marriages turned out. It was really interesting!

Maria says:

I am always excited to find people who are obsessed with documentaries! I will be adding “Shoot Me” to my lineup. I’m not sure if it’s on Netflix, but “Searching for Sugarman” is an epic documentary similar to others you’ve mentioned here. 🙂

Sarah says:

Check out Mile…Mile & A Half. Really entertaining and inspiring. Totally made me want to spend more time in the outdoors.

Elyse says:

Bummer! Two of these aren’t available on Netflix streaming any longer (or maybe just in my area?): West of Memphis and Rize. I’ll definitely be checking them out on Amazon Prime or from the local library!

Julia says:

Bri! 20 Feet From Stardom is one of my favorite movies of all time. So excited to see it on your list!! You should check out, “A Band Called Death” about the true birth of metal music, but almost more importantly a story about following your creative gut. I also recommend, “Stories We Tell,” as a unique insight into finding you are and that journey. I could go on forever maybe, but also look into, “Cutie and the Boxer.” All three are on Netflix or Prime!

Stacia says:

I love documentaries but haven’t heard of these. I’ll have to check them out!

Storm Surfers 3D! My boyfriend made it (writer director). It’s super inspiring with really beautiful imagery. I might have told you about it when we met at blogshop in Sydney? Anyway, I think you would dig it.

Amy says:

The Elaine Stritch doc is so great! Love her. As far as documentaries that are currently streaming on Netflix, my recommendations would be Stories We Tell, Blackfish and Scatter My Ashes at Bergdorfs! Oh and Crazy Love is crazy! Ha.

Donna says:

I love love love documentaries! I watched 20 Feet from Stardom at a free screening in the park last month. It was soooo good. I can’t wait to check out a few of these. Thanks for the recommendations!:)

Jay says:

Wow. I didn’t know that any of these were on Netflix. I will defiantly be checking some of these out. Thanks for sharing!

x

Am constantly browsing the netflix doc section so thanks for the suggestions! I just watched The Source Family and it was really good – especially if you’re into 70’s fashion like I am 😉

Thanks for sharing! I’ve added three of these to my Netflix queue.

Lauren says:

Oh my gosh, you have to see the documentary Muscle Shoals! SO GOOD if you like soul music. And Mortified. Brings back too many memories about writing in a journal!

Michelle Aller says:

Hoop Dreams and Being Elmo are two musts on Netflix.
    Great documentaries!

Anna says:

I just watched the Diana Vreeland documentary and LOVED it! Thanks for the recommendations!

Elizabeth says:

I just finished the killing on Netflix and have been looking for something new. This post was perfect timing!

kim says:

this is a great assortment- I agree with Lauren about Muscle Shoals – my friend Patty Dillon is getting ready to release her documentary There Will Be No Stay – it’s about the death penalty and it’s affect on two men who were actual death penalty executioners- compelling and heart wrenching, so proud of her .