06.25.14

SUMMER CITRUS SALAD RECIPE

today we’re going to show you our new favorite summer salad. so colorful and delicious! joanie made it for us in the office the other day and i couldn’t stop eating it. i’ve never been much of a fennel fan but this combo won me over. what are some of your favorite simple summer dishes to make?

ps. i’m kind of obsessed with gorman’s hometime line, especially this eye plate.

summer citrus salad
inspired by this bon appetit recipe.

ingredients:

• 2 red beets
• 3 golden beets
• 2 grapefruit
• 2 lemons
• 1 fennel bulb
• 1/4 red onion
• walnut oil
• sea salt + pepper
• 1 bunch cilantro
• 1 head butter lettuce

how to make it:

• roast the beets at 400 degrees for 45-50 minutes. remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. once cooled, peel the skins and slice 1 of each length wise and the remaining ones into sections.

• thinly slice the fennel bulb and place in a bowl with a generous pour of walnut oil, juice of half a lemon and salt and pepper. mix by hand and allow to sit.

• cut all of the skin and white flesh from the grapefruit and break into sections. carefully peel the white membrane from each section. set aside.

• wash the cilantro, pat dry and cut the stems short. thinly slice the red onion. wash the butter lettuce and allow to dry.

• assemble the ingredients as you like! we placed the butter lettuce on the bottom and layered the ingredients on top. use the juice from the fennel marinated as the dressing. add more salt, pepper, lemon and oil as desired. enjoy!

shop the above: Yield Design throw, Gorman eye platter, Gorman crown fruit bowl and winter harvest napkins.

(recipe by joanie cusack + photos by sheila gim for designlovefest– want more food posts? go here!)

• 1. Allywan  |  June 25th, 2014 at 5:42 am

This looks so fresh and delicious. It may be the thing to pull me out of this post birthday bad food addiction.

• 2. Sarah  |  June 25th, 2014 at 7:43 am

Yum! This looks so fresh and delicious! I’m all about summer salads.
    xx Sarah

• 3. Lisa  |  June 25th, 2014 at 8:02 am

This salad looks delicious! I love all of your healthy and fresh recipes but I have to say…it kind of kills me that MacDonalds is a sponsor of yours. I don’t think it is in line with your branding or your blog concept. Xo

• 4. maggie  |  June 25th, 2014 at 9:43 am

The salad looks amazing, but I too am obsessed with that eye plate!

• 5. Jenna  |  June 25th, 2014 at 9:46 am

Ahh, grapefruit is my arch enemy. But this salad looks so pretty I’ll have to try to make it, at least for grapefruit lovers like my mom and boyfriend :)

Jenna

• 6. Taylor  |  June 25th, 2014 at 10:49 am

Delicious! I love that pretty eye platter!

xoxo
    Taylor

• 7. Emily  |  June 25th, 2014 at 11:42 am

I’ve been weirdly interested in trying butter lettuce lately. I’ve heard it’s delicious!
    Also that eye plate is amazing!!

-Emily

• 8. In a Trendy Town  |  June 25th, 2014 at 1:27 pm

We love fruits in salad, nice idea, fresh and healthy!

• 9. Mere  |  June 25th, 2014 at 1:54 pm

That eye platter is freaking amazing. All eye everything.

Salad looks good too, of course.

• 10. lani  |  June 25th, 2014 at 10:54 pm

Definitely trying this over the weekend. I’ve been looking for more refreshing summer salad recipes and this looks like a winner. I’m totally sold on that eye platter and the napkins too! ;-)

• 11. Sophia Quinn  |  June 30th, 2014 at 2:43 am

Salad is nice and especially good stuff; all the stuffs are looking too attractive and special butter lettuce…

Buy urban fashion cloths at http://panicswitcharmy.com/men.html

• 12. www&hellip  |  July 1st, 2014 at 2:27 am

www

D E S I G N L O V E F E S T

• 13. Hope  |  July 4th, 2014 at 2:01 am

Love the colours of the salad, it’s giving off positively warm summer vibes!

photo X9A3191-edit_zps661cdbcb.jpg