SUMMER CITRUS SALAD RECIPE
today we’re going to show you our new favorite summer salad. so colorful and delicious! joanie made it for us in the office the other day and i couldn’t stop eating it. i’ve never been much of a fennel fan but this combo won me over. what are some of your favorite simple summer dishes to make?
summer citrus salad
inspired by this bon appetit recipe.
• 2 red beets
• 3 golden beets
• 2 grapefruit
• 2 lemons
• 1 fennel bulb
• 1/4 red onion
• walnut oil
• sea salt + pepper
• 1 bunch cilantro
• 1 head butter lettuce
how to make it:
• roast the beets at 400 degrees for 45-50 minutes. remove from the oven and allow to cool completely. once cooled, peel the skins and slice 1 of each length wise and the remaining ones into sections.
• thinly slice the fennel bulb and place in a bowl with a generous pour of walnut oil, juice of half a lemon and salt and pepper. mix by hand and allow to sit.
• cut all of the skin and white flesh from the grapefruit and break into sections. carefully peel the white membrane from each section. set aside.
• wash the cilantro, pat dry and cut the stems short. thinly slice the red onion. wash the butter lettuce and allow to dry.
• assemble the ingredients as you like! we placed the butter lettuce on the bottom and layered the ingredients on top. use the juice from the fennel marinated as the dressing. add more salt, pepper, lemon and oil as desired. enjoy!