05.06.14

PREPARE FOR A HOUSE GUEST

this is the first house that i’ve lived in where we have a guest bedroom. i’m still working on the design of the room, but for now it’s just very simple. bed, chair, end table and some nice details. preparing for a house guest is one of my favorite things…stocking up at the grocery store with good snacks and flowers, cleaning up the room and preparing for their arrival. here’s a few things i like to do for a guest coming to town to stay…and i’d love to hear what you do, too!

clean up: i have two cats and i’d hate to think my guests were living with a bunch of pet hair. i remember when i used to buy a $25 vaccuum online when i was in college and it would break after three times. i got a dyson a while ago and it makes suuuuuch a huge difference. i open the windows in the room to let in some fresh air, put lavender sachets on the pillows, and make sure to do a little extra dusting that day.

set up: my mom taught me about being a good hostess. she always went out of her way when someone stayed at our house to make them feel VERY comfortable. i like to set up the room so it feels like they are checking into a hotel. one of my favorite hotels in austin has candles and a water pitcher with cucumber water sitting on a tray on the bed. i took note and try to do the same for my guests. a vase of peonies, a fancy candle, a fresh bath towel and a little chocolate go a LONG way. happy hosting!

shop these items: dyson DC65 vacuum, high street market marble tray, peonies, tom dixon candle, bellopop matches, mast brothers chocolate bar, kate spade saturday pitcher and drinking glasses, recreation center dot mug, anatolian bath towels.

what do you do to prepare for guests? what was a favorite thing someone did for your arrival when you stayed at their house? -bri

line2

(this post is brought to you by Dyson. The New DC65 cleans better than any other vacuum across carpets and hard floors. thank you for supporting the designlovefest sponsors that allow this blog to create original content for you.)

• 1. Mary  |  May 6th, 2014 at 6:38 am

When you say you “got a dyson”… Does that mean you mean you bought one or you were gifted one?

• 2. Haley  |  May 6th, 2014 at 7:49 am

This is one of the best sponsored posts I’ve seen.

• 3. Kristen  |  May 6th, 2014 at 7:57 am

dyson!!!! i want one desperately. makes all the difference, right? I believe everything i hear about the dyson :)

• 4. Kyra Faulkner  |  May 6th, 2014 at 8:32 am

Oh I love the idea of being such a great host someday! I recently saw a bar cart styled for guests with everything from san pellegrino to fresh fruit + flowers! a water pitcher with cucumber water? I die.

• 5. bri  |  May 6th, 2014 at 8:53 am

mary, i was not gifted a dyson for this post.

• 6. Rachael  |  May 6th, 2014 at 9:07 am

I LOVE MY DYSON!

• 7. Rachael  |  May 6th, 2014 at 9:07 am

AND that marble tray :) haha!

• 8. Melissa  |  May 6th, 2014 at 9:30 am

I’m preparing for house guests who are arriving tomorrow and have included similar things on my welcome tray – instead of chocolate & peonies I chose tulips and mini stroopwafels since we’re in Amsterdam!I like to stock up on healthy snacks like little bags of nuts and dried fruit that they can shove in their bags for the day…and it’s also nice to have a few little books about the city & a cycling map on hand. Nice post Bri!

• 9. erica//elderflowerco  |  May 6th, 2014 at 9:42 am

Great hospitality is so important! Anytime I stay or visit some of my Lebanese or Egyptian friends, I’m overwhelmed by their warm and generous hospitality, and it’s such a good reminder for me to try to make people feel extra loved and pampered when they visit. That kinda stuff really stays with you as a guest :)

• 10. bri  |  May 6th, 2014 at 9:43 am

awesome suggestions, melissa!

• 11. Claire  |  May 6th, 2014 at 11:07 am

Which hotel are you referencing above? I’m thinking of planning a trip to Austin and I’d love a good recommendation ;)

• 12. maggie  |  May 6th, 2014 at 12:06 pm

I am a big fan of making people feeling at home/being a great hostess. I make and sell my own candles. so I make sure there are at least three going in my house when I have people over, even if it’s just for a dinner.

• 13. Lucy  |  May 6th, 2014 at 12:10 pm

i LOVE to entertain but I also have a large, shedding dog. Since rescuing him last June, I have gone through 2 vacuums. Nothing gets all that fur… so I finally decided to invest in a Dyson. Best thing I’ve done to keep my condo guest ready!! Getting ready to entertain tonight, in fact :)

• 14. Sarah Rose  |  May 6th, 2014 at 12:30 pm

Love this! It’s true, a little does go a long way. And we just recently upgraded to a ‘grown-up’ vacuum. Don’t know what we did without it ;)

• 15. Tracy  |  May 6th, 2014 at 5:51 pm

I have our wifi user name and password written down and displayed in a cute frame on the nightstand in our guest room. Great for overnight guests and anyone else who stops by and wants to connect.

• 16. Lindsay  |  May 6th, 2014 at 7:44 pm

I have the fondest memories of visiting my Aunt Victoria’s cabin in Wisconsin’s North Woods. She always placed two Andes Candies (instilling an early love of chocolate and mint!) on everyone’s pillows, candles on the night stands and a fresh towel at the foot of the bed. She also has a HUGE selection of travel-sized beauty products in the guest bathroom. I can’t even tell you how many times those have come in handy when I forgot my razor or my shampoo/conditioner got confiscated by the TSA!

• 17. Taylor  |  May 7th, 2014 at 5:51 am

I love having guests over and treating them like they’re staying at a hotel! I even throw the towels in the dryer for a little bit before they arrive so they have warm towels to use when they come in from a long drive/flight and want to shower.

xoxo
    Taylor

• 18. Brittany  |  May 7th, 2014 at 7:18 am

i also hope our guests feel like they are checking into a hotel. i love the water + cucumber water pitcher idea. I also try to have fresh flowers in their room and light some candles in the house before they arrive.

• 19. Melinda  |  May 11th, 2014 at 3:51 am

Okay, I haven’t had my dream sleep-over yet, but I’m thinking the same way, you do: create an exclusive hotel atmosphere. Fresh flowers and chocolate in the guest room and small bottles of their favourite scented shower gel from Yves Rocher or The Body Shop in the bathroom, that they could even take with themselves if they wanted to.

• 20. La  |  May 12th, 2014 at 12:22 am

Oh my! Can I be a house guest? This looks wonderful. Iv always wanted to try mast brothers chocolate, but we live in Scotland!

My cat is actually TOO hairy for a dyson! Long haired cat problems.. Xx

• 21. gracie  |  May 12th, 2014 at 2:59 am

I need a new hoover, we have a fluffy cat & I have been using a broom for about 6 months!! Pain in the arse! Our floors are all wood & tile but still. I feel like I should just invest in a Dyson but I think I’m going to get a Numatic Hetty, have you seen them? Pink with a cute face! I can’t resist.

• 22. Bailey  |  May 31st, 2014 at 3:01 pm

I don’t have a guest room, so any guests have to find a space to stay in our living room. I would love to be able to really set up a comfy, beautiful space for a guest – these are great ideas! Especially the candles and chocolate – I’d be so impressed if someone did that for me haha

• 23. Jenna from Lucky Little Mustardseed  |  June 23rd, 2014 at 6:20 pm

I’m not sure why but I didn’t consider our guestroom complete until it had it’s very own folding luggage rack ;) you know just like the ones they have in hotels! Lol. I guess it may be silly, but it was a personal must.

photo 2_zps8b7e2290.jpg