04.28.14

MAKE IT/ 56

DIYLaundryBag022

i remember a friend made me a laundry bag once when i moved away…she wrote all of our inside jokes all over it, and i still treasure it. i thought it would be fun to make a laundry bag that you would be proud to showcase in your room. you could customize the colors with your decor and have it sitting pretty in the corner. i wish i had one of these during my college dorm days!

DIYLaundryBag018
DIYLaundryBag001

what you’ ll need:

• 2/3 yard of 72” heavy weight (14 oz) cotton canvas (we used artist’s canvas from Blick)
• Fabric paint (we used Jaquard in Ruby Red and White, which we mixed with the red to create a shade of pink)
• Foam core cut into two irregular circles of different sizes
• Scissors
• Masking tape
• Foam brush
• Ruler
• Pins
• Sewing machine
• Iron

DIYLaundryBag015

how to make it:

• Cut fabric into four pieces; 36”x23” rectangle, 13” square, and two 4 1/2”x13” strips

• On the large rectangle use a piece of masking tape to mark 5” from the top of the long edge (this space will be left un-stamped)

DIYLaundryBag008

• Using sponge brush, coat the foam core circle with a generous amount of fabric paint.
Set stamp gently on canvas and press firmly. Paint coverage won’t be entirely even, but that’s part of the beauty of hand-stamping. If there’s an accidental drip of paint, just stamp over it!

DIYLaundryBag002
DIYLaundryBag004

• Cover the canvas with dots, reapplying the paint to the stamp each time. Leave room between dots for the second color and don’t stamp above the masking tape line (because this section of the canvas will later be folded over)

• Repeat with second color and allow to dry.

DIYLaundryBag011

• Fold in half so that right (stamped) sides are facing, pin, and sew down the long edge.

DIYLaundryBag012

• Cut a circle out of the 13” square of canvas. A good way to do this is to fold the canvas in half and then in half again. Holding the ruler so that the “0” lines up with the folded corner (the center of the circle), mark at 6” and continue moving the ruler to create an arched dotted line.

• Cut along this dotted line and unfold.

DIYLaundryBag016
DIYLaundryBag026

DIYLaundryBag027
DIYLaundryBag028

• For the handles, fold each of the 4 1/2”x13” strips of canvas in half length wise and pin together.

• Sew and then flip inside out, creating a tube.

• Iron tube flat, hem each end (folding once), and set aside.

• Sew the circle of canvas to the stamped fabric tube by pinning around the edge with right sides facing. Sew together with a 3/8” seam. It’s a little tricky to get the circle bottom to line up exactly with the tube of fabric and slight adjustments may need to be made.

• Flip right side out and fold top edge twice, creating a 2” folded edge at the top of the basket.

• Attach straps by pinning to the inside of the basket and sewing. Ends of straps should be about 2” apart and they should be sewn slightly under the folded edge so that stitching isn’t visible from the front.

DIYLaundryBag021

so… this DIY is a little more complicated but you’ll get so much use out of it that it’s more than worth the effort! make one for yourself and let me know how it turns out. go laundry!

DIYLaundryBag019
DIYLaundryBag029

project by: bramble workshop for designlovefest
photos by: brittany wood
this post is in partnership with Caldrea. all opions are my own. more DIY projects here

caldrea

• 1. Vicky  |  April 28th, 2014 at 5:09 am

Ohhhhh! beautiful! this DYI is great !!!! :)
    xo

• 2. Taylor  |  April 28th, 2014 at 5:28 am

That’s too funny: I was JUST thinking, “I need a new laundry bag” and then this popped up the next day on Bloglovin’! I’m not much of a sewer, but this seems simple enough and I’d love to try it out again!

xoxo
    Taylor

• 3. amber  |  April 28th, 2014 at 5:32 am

this is so perfect for me too! my laundry bag is like, ripping and falling apart. so using this tutorial to make a new one! thanks for the awesome post :)

• 4. amber  |  April 28th, 2014 at 5:33 am

also, well done brittany, on the photos! they are gorgeous.

• 5. Natalie Ast  |  April 28th, 2014 at 6:50 am

I simply adore polkadots! I love this tutorial and might spruce up my laundry bag. xo, natalie http://natalieast.com

• 6. Meghan  |  April 28th, 2014 at 8:06 am

nice idea, you could also stamp the dots using a potato cut in half!

• 7. Sarah  |  April 28th, 2014 at 9:11 am

That’s really cute and totally doable, I’m gonna make one for my daughter’s room!

• 8. maggie  |  April 28th, 2014 at 11:44 am

Oh my gosh, how cute is this?

• 9. Kellie Winnell  |  April 28th, 2014 at 5:23 pm

I really love this. I am thinking to make one not for the laundry, but for beside my chair for my knitting! Love it.

• 10. Tarah  |  April 28th, 2014 at 8:45 pm

Just what I need – perfect timing!! xx

• 11. Pink Ronnie  |  April 29th, 2014 at 10:30 pm

Adore this idea – well done!
    Ronnie xo

• 12. Caitlin  |  April 30th, 2014 at 7:17 am

Such a great way to add some personality to a bathroom or laundry room, love the pink spots! Xo Caitlin

• 13. bethany  |  May 3rd, 2014 at 8:47 am

Great tutorial! Thanks! I made my own yesterday (for my baby boy’s nursery, who’s due in a month) and I love it! So simple. I didn’t stamp my fabric, since I just used some that I already had lying around, but it turned out so well. I’m certain I’ll use this again in the future!!

• 14. Michele  |  May 19th, 2014 at 10:58 am

Just what I was looking for. Could you tell me – what are the finished dimensions of this bag?

• 15. youtube.com  |  June 14th, 2014 at 12:08 am

You may find that an existing system serves
    a particular process, but it may be frozen in time so it
    has limited usage. This spectacular DISH Network Google TV helps you to enjoy the best TV plus the best of web.
    Dell has also made other strides toward becoming a greener
    technology company.

• 16. Erin  |  August 2nd, 2014 at 3:16 pm

I been wanting to make this for my college dorm, and once I got the pieces all cut I realized this is the smallest laundry bag ever. It’s cute, but incredibly impractical!

photo 2_zps8b7e2290.jpg