MAKE IT / 53
make some of these pretty wooden vases for your plants or flowers. i love the look of these!
what you’ ll need:
• 40 craft sticks
• 4 square dowels (3/16×3/16”), each 6 ½” long
• acrylic paint: white and teal
• water for diluting paint
• sharp scissors or jigsaw
• blue tape if using jigsaw
• sponge brush
• rectangular glass vase (6”long x 4”wide x 6”high) available at JoAnn • fabrics
• measuring stick
how to make them:
• Cut craft sticks into these lengths: 18: 3” long, 20: 4 ¾” long, 2: 2 ¼” long
• If you’re using the jigsaw to cut the sticks, you can bundle them in stacks of 9 or 10, mark the length with blue tape, and cut through the whole stack at once. If you’re using scissors, measure, mark and cut each stick individually.
• Line up two of the 6 ½” wood dowels so that they are about 2 ¾” apart and attach nine of the 3” sticks. Glue the top and bottom sticks first to keep dowels aligned.
• Connect the two sides with nine 4 ¾” sticks. Again, glue the top and bottom sticks first to hold structure in place. Repeat on opposite side.
• On the top of the vase, glue two 4 ¾” sticks on two sides and then glue the two 2 ¼” sticks underneath them by reaching in through bottom of structure.
• Sand corners by hand or with a hand sander to even out the rough edges.
• Paint a gradient from white to teal by adding increasing amounts of teal to the white. Top of vase is 100% white and bottom is 100% teal. Dilute the paint slightly with water so that it is more transparent and the wood grain remains visible.
• Slide vase over the glass vessel and fill with water and foliage.