03.17.14

MAKE IT / 52

i’ve been really into crystals lately. i love the combination of the rough texture and vibrant color. i picked up a few at the rose bowl flea market last weekend that have been living on my nightstand. today we are going to make a beautiful amethyst mirror…

what you’ ll need:

• 11 inch round wood clock face
• 10 inch round mirror
• amethyst crystals (we purchased 200 amethyst pieces from BlissCrystals on etsy)
• Loctite Go2 Glue
• Silver spray paint
• 2 small eye hooks
• wire

• Spray paint both sides of clock face. The back of the clock face will be the front of the mirror.

• Glue mirror to clock face and press surfaces together. Allow to set for 30 minutes.

• Using a generous amount of glue, attach crystal pieces around the border of the mirror, with some overlapping the mirror edge to conceal it. Let the glue cure overnight.

• Attach eye hooks to back edge of wood (pre-drilling holes makes it easier.)

• Thread wire through eye hooks and twist to tighten so that the wire is taut and not visible from the front.

and there you have it, simple and so pretty! i think this mirror would make the best gift for those hard to buy for friends. i know i sure wouldn’t mind receiving one! what do ya think?

project by: bramble workshop for designlovefest
photos by: brittany wood
more DIY projects here

so lovely dlf! great etsy source.

Vicky says:

lovely idea!!!! good job! 🙂 I invite you and all your followers to participate in my new post! xx

Rebecca says:

Awesome DIY!

i totally thought those were petals! certainly makes for a unique mirror.

maggie says:

I am obsessed with crystals. I have actually started making prayer candles with small pieces of fluorite in them because they are known for helping with so many things – prioritizing, calming, focus, honing intuition, etc. Love this mirror!

I’ve been super into rose quartz lately!! It has the prettiest, softest pink color–I can’t get enough!! This seems like a great diy to add to my rose quartz collection. Thanks!

Much love,
    Tori

I’d like to find out more? I’d love to find out some additional information.

my web site; hair clipper oster hair clippers

Ana says:

This is the best diy this year so far! It looks so pretty and you can decorate it so many ways. Thanks for sharing this one!

Mama Leone says:

Sooooo beautiful! AwEsome! Thx for sharing bri!

Iquo says:

This is gorgeous! I love it! Purple is my favorite color! That glue is pretty awesome by the way! I use it for my crafts as well!

Iquo

Emily says:

This is lovely! I love how the light makes the crystals shine. I love how customizable this is. You could mix different tones of the same color crystal and it would look awesome too!

Emily
    eageremily.blogspot.com

sarah says:

love crystals so much… keep me away from rock shops! this turned out *so* beautifully.

erin says:

love love love! this is stunning.

cheyenne says:

this looks so so pretty!
    xo, cheyenne

Kelby says:

What a BEAUTIFUL mirror! This is most definitely a DIY I want to try! Also looks lovely against the white brick.

Cuero&Mør says:

Awesome idea and amazing result!!

riris says:

This is so amazing.. I think I already pin this DIY on my pinterest, and try to make my own when I redecorate my room ASAP. Thank you for share..

Birdy says:

This is a very cute idea! ^_^
    I am obsessed with crystals, they’re so beautiful and each one is unique.
    x

Anna S. says:

This is the first DIY Mirror I have seen that someone actually put a bigger wood circle behind it to add the border, everyone else just puts it on the actual mirror. Love it!

nina says:

Lovely DIY idea!
    Featured your tutorial in an article on my handmade blog.
    Hope you don’t mind the bloglove!
    Xx Nina

Sabrina says:

Love this idea! I just stumbled upon your blog and have fallen in love! Thank you for all your tips and tricks for bloggers-

Have a beautiful week!

-S

Bailey says:

I absolutely love this project idea!! My boyfriend is a geologist, so a gemstone mirror would actually be really fitting for our home. Thanks for the how-to!!

Robin says:

Love this! And really love that brass whale in the 2nd to the last photo. Can you please tell me where you got it? thanks.

I like the way you explained everything in your blog and I want to tell you that all of your methods are very easy to follow.

Hello! I featured your mirror in my monthly blog series, Get Your Color On!. Each month I select a color, provide tips on how to decorate with it, and feature other bloggers with their projects that relate to this color.

This month’s post is all about purple, so your project was perfect! Feel free to grab a featured button and check out my post at Get Your Color On! Purple. Thanks for sharing your wonderful creativity!

Anonymous says:

so beautiful mirror

Robin says:

Yes, please tell us where we could find such a cute lil whale, ceramic, metal or otherwise.

vitor says:

I`d like to know about the whale too.

#beauty Tips says:

Right here is the right web site for anybody who wishes to find out about this topic.
    You understand so much its almost tough to argue with you (not that
    I personally would want to_HaHa). You certainly put
    a new spin on a subject that’s been written about for decades.
    Wonderful stuff, just wonderful!

My weblog; #beauty Tips

Indiana says:

I read this piece of writing completely concerning the resemblance of hottest and
    previous technologies, it’s amazing article.

Jennifer says:

I had a question about the amount of crystals you used because I want to make this as a wedding gift for a friend. Did you end up using all 200 crystals? Or do you think 100 would be enough? I don’t want to skimp, but I also don’t want to order more than I really need. Thanks so much!

Megan says:

hi Jennifer! I know this is super late but I was able to get by with 150 crystals! So that will save you a little bit! 🙂 You can get roughly 150 by ordering the 1/2 lb. and the 1/4 lb. Good luck!

I think this is the cuttest DIY I’ve ever seen

Samantha says:

OH I am IN LOVE. I have so many friends who would love this! And thank you for the info on the Amethyst! Every other place I have tried to find have always been too expensive.

Anonymous says:

The panda crossed the road

Megan says:

Absolutely adore this! I have all my supplies now & should receive my amethyst in the mail within a few short days. I cannot wait to have mine happily hanging on the wall. 🙂 Thanks for such a great tutorial!
    -xoxo

Karin says:

So lovely! Also… what’s the whale-like thing on the counter?? Too cute!

Sarah says:

I had the same question so I googled! It’s a vintage brass whale ashtray! Etsy has some for sale 🙂