03.24.14

CAKE WITH EDIBLE FLOWERS

this was one of the prettiest shoots i’ve worked on in a while. amy merrick & max wanger brought their talents to the studio last week and we collaborated on this gorgeous floral shoot. amy had been wanting to do a project with edible flowers and decided to adorn a white cake with them. the  inspiration came from this dreamy watercolor dress shown above. (which is on sale here) this would be such a gorgeous wedding cake, don’t you think?

Edible flowers used in the post- rose petals, geranium, dianthus, carnations, calendula, violets, pansies, violas, lilac, camomile and nasturtium leaves and blossoms.

Sourcing edible flowers- try to search your local farmers market, garden center or specialty grocery store for flowers and plants that have been organically grown. Since many of these flowers won’t have been grown to consume, they may have a much heavier application of pesticides which is why sourcing organic is important.

To prepare your flowers- throughly wash and dry the flowers. Generally only the petals will be edible, so avoid eating any stem, leaf or stamens. You want to avoid eating any pollen, and people with allergies should be extra careful when eating flowers.

How to keep your flowers fresh- cut your flowers off their stems as close to serving as possible. Many flowers will last longer when kept in a refrigerator, but it’s best to keep them in water until immediately before use. Once cut, they will look fresh for about an hour at room temperature.

Ways to eat flowers- Many petals are nearly tasteless and can dress up everything from baked goods to salads, soups and vegetables. Some flowers have more of a herbal or spicy flavor (nasturtiums, flowering herbs) and those are best left on the savory side of the plate.

florals by: amy merrick - see more floral posts here!
art direction by: bri emery
photos by: max wanger
model: siri thorson

• 1. Cuero&Mør  |  March 24th, 2014 at 9:12 am

Love it!! We have to try a new recipe using flowers, it looks amazing!! Thanks for the advices :)

For this week we made an exotic version of a traditional plate!! Hope you like it

• 2. dental numbing  |  March 24th, 2014 at 10:01 am

Nice post. I was checking continuously this blog and I’m impressed!
    Extremely useful information specially the last part :) I care
    for such info much. I was looking for this certain info for a long time.
    Thank you and best of luck.

my site: dental numbing

• 3. chelsea  |  March 24th, 2014 at 10:16 am

So freaking cool!

• 4. Kevin | Thou Swell  |  March 24th, 2014 at 10:34 am

This is absolutely amazing! What a beautiful but simple idea for a cake… Definitely using this soon! Perfect for spring :)

• 5. Christa  |  March 24th, 2014 at 10:34 am

These are gorgeous! My hippy aunt has been putting edible flowers in all of her salads for years, they’re so pretty!

xo
    Christa

• 6. Rebekah {aCricketSang}  |  March 24th, 2014 at 10:55 am

AMAZING idea! And gorgeous photography :)

• 7. Maelle  |  March 24th, 2014 at 11:25 am

Such a beautiful post! Colourful and dreamy, just perfect :)

• 8. Bitty Berlinghoff  |  March 24th, 2014 at 12:45 pm

You guys deserve a standing ovation for this one. Beautiful!! Now I want to get married just to have a flower cake ;)

• 9. Becca  |  March 24th, 2014 at 12:59 pm

This is so gorgeous! I’ll need to try this out for sure!

XOXO
    Becca | Ladyface Blog

• 10. Allison  |  March 24th, 2014 at 1:05 pm

This cake is gorgeous! I’ve always loved edible flowers in salads, don’t know why I never thought to put them on a cake!

• 11. Victoria Smith  |  March 24th, 2014 at 1:54 pm

gorgeous post, my friend! love it!

• 12. EVERLY  |  March 24th, 2014 at 3:28 pm

This is so simple and so so beautiful. We love the juxtaposition of the dress and the cake – amazing!

• 13. LeeLee  |  March 24th, 2014 at 5:02 pm

Love this. Can’t wait to try it out.

• 14. Jordyn  |  March 24th, 2014 at 6:24 pm

This is gorgeous! I have always wanted to dabble with edible flowers, maybe I will now :)

• 15. Marisa Seguin  |  March 24th, 2014 at 6:55 pm

Everything about this shoot is music to my eyeballs.

• 16. sue/the view from great island  |  March 24th, 2014 at 8:20 pm

This is spectacular! I’ve done a lot with edible flowers on my blog, but this takes the cake!

• 17. Tara  |  March 25th, 2014 at 12:15 am

Oh my gosh! Two of my absolute favorite recently discovered artists. What an amazing collaboration this must have been! I love the color in these photos!

Tara
    themountaincreative.com

• 18. pfs  |  March 25th, 2014 at 3:17 am

I’m extremely impressed with your writing skills as well as
    with the layout on your weblog. Is this a paid theme
    or did you customize it yourself? Either way keep up the nice quality writing, it is rare to see a nice blog like this one today.

Here is my page – pfs

• 19. Anna  |  March 25th, 2014 at 3:29 am

the photos are absolutely stunning!! i love them all!! and the project looks so much fun!

• 20. Fiona  |  March 25th, 2014 at 3:38 am

so so pretty!! Makes me want to grow edible flowers we have some marigolds in our garden but that’s about it

• 21. Lyzi  |  March 25th, 2014 at 3:57 am

That is the most beautiful cake I have ever seen! Definitely going to have to try and make one like this one day…

• 22. Bailey  |  March 25th, 2014 at 7:58 am

I absolutely loved seeing all of the snippets of this shoot on Instagram, and have been eagerly anticipating this blog post :) SO FUN and gorgeous!

• 23. Lindsey  |  March 28th, 2014 at 8:49 am

Bri, your blog and posts are always inspirational but you took this to a whole new level! Congratulations on a great collaboration and the best eye candy I’ve seen in a while :)

• 24. lyndsay // coco cake land  |  March 28th, 2014 at 2:21 pm

this might be my favourite design love fest post EVER. i love using edible flowers too…

such an amazing, artful and inspirational shoot! loved it all, styling, cake, photography… oh wow! xo

• 25. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com  |  March 28th, 2014 at 9:20 pm

Love love edible flowers!! So pretty :)

• 26. Lauren  |  March 30th, 2014 at 5:49 am

This definitely my favorite shoot of yours too! I love the pic with the flowers falling in her hair.

• 27. Valerie Vardaro  |  April 1st, 2014 at 7:34 am

Beautiful!!

• 28. Annaliese  |  April 1st, 2014 at 8:17 pm

So great! I can’t wait to try it. And now I am craving cake. :)

• 29. __  |  April 19th, 2014 at 1:34 am

___________________________
    [ ____]__DQN____________
    ___________ ______________________________________
    ________________ _________________________________________

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww _________ __
    NHK________________

• 30. www.smeactor.eu  |  April 28th, 2014 at 5:41 pm

TҺeir eѕcortѕ ɑaге гіɡߋгօսѕlƴ ѕϲгееոеԀ Ƅеforе theʏ аге hіreɗ.
    Fοг thе գuіte ʏoսnǥeг small ԝomеո’ tҺіѕ
    іs а tгulү tҺгіllіng
    timе. I’m not
    іnto “Wizards of Waverly Location” ѕο Ι ѡааѕ pleɑsɑոtly ѕurргіѕеԁ bʏ hοw lікable ѕɦе
    աaѕ. http://www.smeactor.eu/moodle/user/view.php?id=4214&course=1

• 31. report  |  May 1st, 2014 at 5:49 am

Building emotional connection, loyalty using
    the brand is a simple thing through social internet marketing.
    Troubleshooting of software is a common topic in tech
    blogs – it can be vendor and task specific.

Do not simply write a vague title that does not relate on the rest with the
    article. Any good ghost writer has previous customers willing to talk to you
    for 15 minutes. video report Be
    sure to include their name, title, role in the project, and also phone numbers and email
    addresses. Residual income from articles is calculated in 2 main ways: per page
    view (often CPM – per thousand page views) through a percentage
    of advertising revenue around the website.

• 32. Kristina Traykova  |  September 7th, 2014 at 3:59 am

So many colors… Amazing! And the cake – delicious.

• 33. Kristina Traykova  |  September 7th, 2014 at 4:00 am

The flowers are incredible!

photo 2_zps8b7e2290.jpg