02.11.14

MOON CANYON FLORAL WORKSHOP

i am really getting addicted to hosting these workshops. they always turn out so pretty and i leave feeling inspired and excited by all of the new energy. the theme behind this series of floral classes was citrus and early spring blooms. kristen selected a beautiful and unique range of florals and each student learned how to create a citrus hued arrangement. spring happens to have some of my favorite flowers; ranunculus, sweet peas,  garden roses and poppies. and i loved seeing how kristen combined those with kumquats, ferns and hyacinth to make something truly spectacular.

PS! this workshop was also covered by chalkboard magazine, check out their site here!

amy from moon canyon created these ridiculously awesome color-wheels that depicted the range of citrus tones that the students would be working with, it really helped in understanding how to select a color palette when you are arranging on your own.

those fiberglass chairs have proved to be a great investment. they add the perfect finishing touch to the studio on workshop days.

brittany did such an amazing job with these photos, it made my morning looking through all of the images and it was nearly impossible to narrow down my selects!

kristen taught the students the trick to building a base for your arrangement and how to follow an asymmetrical pattern. i love looking at each students final arrangement because even though they all start with the same ingredients they all look different and unique at the end. everyone takes their own spin on kristen’s instructions and the finished products are always impressive.

pressed juicery supplied the students with juices that were the perfect colors to compliment the flowers. my favorite was the cucumber, pineapple and lemon.

valleybrink road created a stunning spread of citrus themed dishes including grapefruit salad, homemade croissants and lemon shortbread cookies.

i love how simple & fresh the spread looked in the white studio.

floral arranging is a definite skill and it’s crazy to see how one small tip or trick can dramatically alter the bouquet. we had a Q&A at the end of each session where the students could ask kristen questions about florals, anything from how to cut the stem to the ins and outs of the flower mart.

i was particularly fond of the kumquat branches in the arrangement.

the morning set-up before these events is frantic but it is always more than worth it in the end. i love seeing the studio transformed in so many different ways and watching the student’s faces and excitement as they arrive never gets old.

it was great to see all of the elements come together and i can’t imagine a more perfect way to spend a sunny saturday.

we receive a lot of e-mails asking about when our next series of workshops will be. if you’re curious, you can sign up for our workshop newsletter here. we send out announcements for upcoming classes and ticket sales ahead of time so you’ll be able to beat the rush!

p.s. thanks for putting up with the long post, i cut it down as much as possible, i promise!

photos by: brittany wood
see more floral posts here

Kim says:

Absolutely gorgeous! I love the little drawings of the day’s events interspersed in this post. It gives it a twist that’s unexpected!

I’m sooo in love with your blog, with your words and pictures!
    This place seems like paradise to me! It’s so inspiring!!!
    xx
    Novella

A fashion & DIY blog…

Chelsea says:

That looks like so much fun! Gorgeous photos.

i just don’t even have the words for how absolutely beautiful this is, and how in heaven i’d be if i was actually there! this post has made me very happy :)

Kristen says:

Lovely! The flower workshops always grab my attention – would love for you to host one in Chicago!!

Absolutely beautiful! Your studio looks amazing as well :) xx

joni says:

love those color wheels!!! is there any way we can get a download for those and print them ourselves?

hannah klemm says:

What a happy post filled with lots of light, love, and flowers! Beautiful visual start to my day!

Kitty Cotten says:

This makes me want spring sooooo badly! Beautiful work!

Vicky says:

Ohhhh! so nice workshop! beautiful flowers! I´m far in Argentina :( Congratulations! lovely work!!

What a lovely way to spend an afternoon.

Gina Palha says:

It is always so truthfully inspiring to come here to your lovely blog! Seriously, your work impress me daily + lovingly!
    Amazing pics, as always!
    P.s.: Love how you work with color!

Lisa says:

SOOOO GORGEOUS!! I’m definitely going to sign up for the next one. By the way, where is her apron from?

~Lisa

Mariella says:

I love that your studio is a blank canvas to all these great colorful events. Perfect atmosphere to be creative!

Bri, this post is STUNNING! It was really hard not to just pin everything. So happy you have a studio space now :)

Chandra says:

I’m always so jealous of all the beautiful flowers and people at these work shops. Further confirms my suspicion that California has everything.

Tori says:

Stunning photographs! What an amazing workshop! I can tell you’re so passionate about these creative get togethers Bri–the inspiration I’m sure is invigorating at one of these workshops:) Love every photo. No worries about it being too long!

Much love, http://myomlife.com/

Sarah says:

Woah, this is one of my favorite posts in a while! My eyeballs are overwhelmed with all the gorgeousness! And those rose gold planters are really rad too!

Sara says:

That was not to long…i loved it..so gorgeous! I wish i was closer so i can attend a Flower workshop! :/

Kasey Tam says:

like, whoa- this entire workshop is beautiful! I agree with you on the kumquat addition. also, do you know where kristen’s apron is from? i’m on the hunt for a new linen one, and i’m diggin’ the leather straps on hers!

Kate S. says:

This is so inspiring! I love love love the flower selections–they go together so beautifully yet aren’t obvious. Is there any way to find out where the rose gold and the white canisters are from? They are perfect!

Anna S. says:

I hope I am fortunate enough one day to attend one of your amazing workshops. Everything you do is amazing!

Leanne says:

the workshops look so fun and vibrant! would your workshops be coming to melbourne, australia soon?

can you list the flowers you used for the arrangement? they look gorgeous!

darcy says:

This workshop is blowing my mind!!! Amazing!! I think I need to have one in Arkansas. I’m too far away from LA!!

Holly says:

These photos are stunning! What an amazing workshop! Do you mind sharing where the mercury vases are from?

Andrea says:

Oh that looks so fun! Flowers are so magical, aren’t they?!

This event looks amazing! I love how bright and airy all the photos are! Would love to go to the next one :)

xoxo
    Jenna

Emily says:

I love the color combinations and freshness of it all. Quick question – Where did the beautiful rose gold vases come from? I’m in love. Thanks!

lauren says:

I love this idea- i wish i could be there to join in the fun!

Katie says:

So beautiful!!! I love the color wheel. I’ve never worked with flowers before, but this definitely makes me want to try :)

I just read about your workshop on Christina’s greigedesign blog. The color work and photos are sumptuous. You’re a bit far from CT for me to attend a class so I REALLY enjoyed all the photos! (It’s fun to see others get so involved with colors, I do it with my “hairy” baskets.)

GREAT blog post! Thanks for sharing the photos and excitement.
    Kari

You actually make it seem so easy with your presentation however I in finding this topic to be actually something which I think I might by no means understand.
    It kind of feels too complicated and very large for me.
    I am taking a look forward for your next post, I will try to get the
    hold of it!