02.18.14

MAKE IT / 50

i have been searching for the perfect placemats for our dining room table ever since i hosted thanksgiving at my house and realized i didn’t have any! today we will be making some dip dyed linen placemats that i just LOVE. this would be a great DIY project for a wedding reception or your next outdoor event. the texture of the linen looks really great, and each placemat has it’s own unique look.

what you’ll need:

• Heavy weight linen fabric (one placemat = 13×18”)
• Fabric dye (we used Fiber Reactive Procion dye in Bubble Gum and Elephant Grey from Dharma Trading Co.)
• Soda Ash and salt (for Procion dye; for Rit Dye follow instructions on packaging)
• Plastic tub
• Two plastic cups
• Two wood craft sticks
• Plastic spoon
• Measuring spoon (do not use utensils also used for cooking with dye)

how to make them:

• To start, rip your pre-washed linen into 13 x 18 inch pieces, leaving a raw edge. To rip linen, make a small 1/4-inch cut on the edge of the fabric with a scissors and then tear so that the linen rips along the grain of the weave.

• Combine 2 teaspoons of dye and a small amount of water in plastic cup. Stir with wood stick to create a paste and completely dissolve dye (this step prevents “freckles” of undissolved dye on finished piece.)

• Combine dye mix with about 8 cups of water, ½ cup salt, and 2 tablespoons of soda ash in the plastic tub.  (Or follow more precise dyeing instructions on the Dharma site.)  Stir with plastic spoon until everything is completely dissolved.

• Hold placemat above plastic tray and lower one end into dye bath, keeping as straight as possible. Submerge about 2-3 inches and let dye penetrate for a minute.

• Remove fabric and set on a piece of plastic to dry. The dye will continue creeping up the fabric a bit while drying.

• Repeat previous steps with second dye color and dip dye opposite edge of placemat.

• Rinse each end in cold water and then wash the whole placemat in warm water with detergent. Hang to dry.

So, will you be trying these out? Experiment with a bunch of colors and send me pics!

project by: bramble workshop for designlovefest
styled by: bri emery
photos by: brittany wood
more DIY projects here

• 1. novella @ 9lla.it  |  February 18th, 2014 at 4:14 am

Love the shades you’ve chosen!
    It’s very pretty the idea of placing cutlery on the dipped parts, so that they are divided with colors too ;)
    xx
    Novella

A fashion & DIY blog…

• 2. lolo  |  February 18th, 2014 at 4:24 am

What a cute idea, and such a fun gift too.
    Love the cutlery!!

• 3. chelsea  |  February 18th, 2014 at 4:45 am

So gorgeous!

• 4. Vicky  |  February 18th, 2014 at 4:50 am

cute! I love it for a gift! the palette so nice :)

• 5. Rebecca Lately  |  February 18th, 2014 at 4:56 am

We don’t have any place mats, either. I was just thinking about this the other day. I will try this!!

• 6. xfallenmoon  |  February 18th, 2014 at 5:11 am

Gorgeous color choice. I really need to try some dye. I keep finding so many cute tutorials I want to try…

• 7. Kim  |  February 18th, 2014 at 5:19 am

Beautiful! And we share a plant :) I also have a pink veined beauty though mine is huge at this point. I’ve had it for a few years. I love it because it tells me when it’s out of water by dramatically drooping. Water it and it perks back up! I’ve yet to kill it (cross your fingers!).

• 8. Bodil Loïs  |  February 18th, 2014 at 5:22 am

Such a cool idea, they look great!

• 9. Lauren S  |  February 18th, 2014 at 5:50 am

Fantastic DIY post! The results look high end :- ) I’m curious to use lighter weight linen and try out some napkins!

• 10. Shirsha | The Everyday & Beyond  |  February 18th, 2014 at 6:03 am

Oooh… these look lovely. We are moving houses soon and this is definitely something that I would love to try!

• 11. angela  |  February 18th, 2014 at 6:06 am

Fantastic tutorial & project! I love these and think it would also make a super fun runner for my dining room table. Thanks for the inspiration!

Angela @ Number Fifty-Three

• 12. Silvia | missblank  |  February 18th, 2014 at 6:21 am

A fantastic and easy idea! Thank you to share it!

• 13. Molly {Dreams in HD}  |  February 18th, 2014 at 6:24 am

these are beautiful, what a fantastic idea!

• 14. Diana  |  February 18th, 2014 at 7:20 am

Such a gorgeous project! I just love the natural look of the dip-dye — definitely going to try this out!

• 15. Sally  |  February 18th, 2014 at 7:31 am

This is such a great idea, nice placemats are so hard to find. I’m going to have to give this a go!

• 16. Victoria | Oh So Pretty  |  February 18th, 2014 at 8:27 am

This is sooo perfect! love it!

• 17. In a Trendy Town  |  February 18th, 2014 at 8:56 am

How much imagination and creativity! Beautiful!

• 18. Casey  |  February 18th, 2014 at 9:40 am

Love these place mats, this looks like a DIY that I can actually do! Thanks for the idea!

• 19. maggie  |  February 18th, 2014 at 9:50 am

These are stunning! And I agree with Casey – looks like a DIY I could actually do!

• 20. Tori  |  February 18th, 2014 at 10:45 am

You have no idea how excited I am for this DIY! I’ve benen wanting to make my own placemats but I don’t know how to sew yet so this is perfect. And they’re gorgeous! Thank you!

Much love, http://www.myomlife.com/

• 21. Jennifer Squires  |  February 18th, 2014 at 12:37 pm

I can’t wait until the weather gets warmer, I’ve got loads of dip dying projects and this one is at the top of my list! Beautiful!

• 22. stephanie@babasouk  |  February 18th, 2014 at 1:31 pm

eeeek! The table setting is perfection.

• 23. Stormie  |  February 18th, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Can’t wait to try this! At last a craft basic enough I actually think I could handle it! haha. So cute.

• 24. Kate  |  February 18th, 2014 at 8:29 pm

Want. Now. Please.

• 25. Jacqueline  |  February 19th, 2014 at 2:31 am

So pretty; such a clever idea! Thanks for sharing! :)

• 26. Aga @ Passion shake  |  February 19th, 2014 at 4:34 am

So simple and so awesome!!!

• 27. Amy  |  February 19th, 2014 at 10:40 am

Also what a cool bottle opener! Where is it from?

• 28. Alicia  |  February 19th, 2014 at 2:06 pm

I love the placemats idea…but am even more in love with your gold colored flatware. Where is it from??

• 29. Kelly  |  February 19th, 2014 at 9:36 pm

Great idea! I am in LOVE with that cutlery where is it from?

• 30. Laura (Tutti Dolci)  |  February 21st, 2014 at 9:01 am

These placemats are so pretty! I want to dye linens to use as photography props so I can’t wait to try this technique.

• 31. Caro  |  February 23rd, 2014 at 6:08 am

Looks so lovely… Such a great idea, simple but with a huge Effect ;)

• 32. 24 hour emergency heating&hellip  |  February 24th, 2014 at 6:26 am

24 hour emergency heating and ac repair miami fl

D E S I G N L O V E F E S T – Part 2

• 33. Sasha  |  March 4th, 2014 at 10:38 pm

Great and simple idea Bri!! Thank you! I recently got inspired by RealLiving( Australian home & lifestyle magazine) for DIY bed sheets dye project and it was great fun!! Looks amazing I must say and personal achievement and satisfaction is wonderful!
    One question though. I did a 4-stage dyeing leaving 1/4 original white (same I can see in your project) how did you achieve the white to not color during wash? Mine colored still after I washed under cold water, dryed overnight and only then washed in machine without detergent (as per instructions).
    Thanks!

• 34. Michelle  |  March 22nd, 2014 at 7:30 pm

Yes! Thank you for this, I haven’t been able to find the perfect fit with my grandmother’s old dining room table and our plates! I think we will try this! Also, where did this gold flatware come from??

• 35. Carly Hodgkinson  |  March 26th, 2014 at 4:37 pm

This.is.amazing!!
    I was going to buy place mats for my new house but I think I will try this on the weekend instead!

Thank you!
    x

• 36. Bryn  |  March 27th, 2014 at 11:21 am

Flatware is from West Elm, rose gold. I have it and it’s just as amazing in person :)

• 37. Amber Renee  |  April 3rd, 2014 at 7:30 pm

GORGEOUS. I’m featuring this and linking you on my links page. Happy I found your blog. I need to explore other blogs more because this is excellent. Thank you. I’m actually planning to dip dye my vintage bed spread (white). xx

• 38. Micha  |  April 24th, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Hi Bri,
    I just made four placemats from nettle cloth that I’ve still leftovers of from my sample wedding dress. I used red and black color which I happened to have at home. I dissolved the colors in water, and, funnily, they turned out to look just like yours! Makes me very happy :-) Thanks for sharing this inspiring project. Love the placemats. Adorable!! And they remember me of the fun I had sewing my wedding dress. Next project with the nettle cloth will be a cloud mobile with white clay rain drops.. Can’t wait!
    Micha

• 39. Hijab Outfits  |  May 28th, 2014 at 11:51 pm

I’m not sure exactly why but this site is loading very slow for me.

Is anyone else having this problem or is it a problem on my end?
    I’ll check back later on and see if the problem still exists.

• 40. john godman  |  July 27th, 2014 at 11:26 pm

Great and fantastic! Thank you to share it!

• 41. Movers Washington DC  |  July 29th, 2014 at 10:23 am

it looks so simple but it is so awesome!!!

• 42. Star  |  July 30th, 2014 at 11:58 am

These are lovely! I think you might get a smoother fade (without the “water line”) if you pre-dampen your place mats and then dip them in the dye. :)

• 43. marine chest freezer lock  |  August 21st, 2014 at 5:24 pm

Many anglers avoid the use of whole eggs altogether because
    they although they contain all kinds of essential nutritional components fish are obviously
    going to recognise them from previous egg-containing
    baits plus eggs affect digestion in various ways.
    I have been using products from Newfields Baits for a while
    and their green lipped mussel extract is simply amazing.

Here are the guild quests along with a handy location and
    a listing of the reward for completion.

My web blog marine chest freezer lock

• 44. laser light therapy for hair loss  |  September 8th, 2014 at 1:28 pm

Hair removal in some areas is essential to replace the areas where its growth
    has stopped. When too much pressure is put on the hair over time it can speed up the
    hair shedding process, resulting in the loss of hairs already in the telogen phase.
    However, pulling on a scab that was adherent to the skin usually dislodged
    the graft – often several days after pulling on a hair was
    safe.

Here is my web blog: laser light therapy for hair loss

• 45. nose Job generator  |  September 10th, 2014 at 12:53 am

Face lift involves procedures to smooth out wrinkles and lines by surgically tightening the skin of the face.
    This is the reason why studies and techniques have been created to deliver the best natural-looking results.
    And premature skin aging is considered to be one of
    those problems.

Feel free to visit my web site :: nose Job generator

• 46. web design  |  September 18th, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Nice post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I am inspired!

Very useful information particularly the ultimate part :
    ) I handle such information a lot. I was looking for this particular info for a very lengthy time.

Thank you and good luck.

• 47. Frame drum gw2 builds  |  October 2nd, 2014 at 12:00 am

A Final Dіstant Clarion Cгү – Ι fell undег tɦе nflսеncе оf ѵɑгіοսs Fundamеntаliѕt
    Cɦгіѕtiаn ϲгіticѕ οf Ʀocҟ
    muѕіc fοг ɑ ƅгіеf
    pегіοɗ іn 2003, wҺicɦ
    mɑԁe mе fееl іnclineɗ
    tο dеѕtгοy all tacеѕ օf Rоcҟ muѕіс іn mу ƿoѕѕеssіοn, еvеn tҺօuǥҺ Ι’d long lοst annү
    геal tаѕte fοг Ңɑrгԁ Roсκ bу
    tɦеn, աҺethеr іn tɦе
    ѕɦаρе οf Mеtɑl,
    Ρսnk, Ԍоtɦ,Gгіngе oг whаtеνеr.
    Tɦігd Wօгlɗ’ѕ ѕսссеѕs cߋntіnuhеd thгοugɦ thе
    1980ѕ and іntօ tҺhе 1990s with sеνегal laЬеl ϲҺangеѕ (CΒS, Μегcսгу)
    аnd thе геlеаѕe օf many mߋге
    albսmѕ ԝіtҺ
    cгοѕѕoѵег Һitѕ tҺat rеachеɗ thе Ɍ&В,
    рօр ɑnd dаncе сhагts and ɑdԀеԀ to tɦеіг іntегnatіοnal ѕtаtսгe.
    Веіng a mɑҳіmսm-mіɗdle-claѕѕ ttɦе гeɗ
    sеa, Мʏ рɑгtneг and і
    cοursе ɑ ϲomfߋгtaƅle eνегу ѕіnglе daɑү
    геsіԁіng tɦan thе 42 fоr еɑϲɦ and еѵегу ԁume ߋnllү at tҺаt աill ƅе ߋuг сοmƿаtгiοtѕ wҺаt
    tƴƿе ߋf ρагtісսlɑг ƿегson, ԁeƿеndіng ߋn սnitеԀ natіоns, ѵіbгant սndегneath tɦе lߋա іncօme strіng.

my Ƅlοɡ ροѕt;
    Frame drum gw2 builds

• 48. new games for ps vita  |  October 2nd, 2014 at 1:47 am

Good day! Do you use Twitter? I’d like to follow you if that would be ok.
    I’m undoubtedly enjoying your blog and look forward
    to new updates.

• 49. Caroline  |  October 20th, 2014 at 4:17 pm

I am so in love with these! Those colors are so beautiful! Making these next weekend!

• 50. อ่านการ์&hellip  |  October 22nd, 2014 at 6:19 am