BLUEBERRY CRUMB CAKE
i am mixing up the recipe posts over here and bringing you one from the DLF team. joanie is going to show you how to make blueberry crumb cake. she baked it at the office the other day and we all had a piece instead of actually eating lunch. its subtly sweet quality makes for a great breakfast or afternoon treat.
Blueberry Crumb Cake
yield: 8 servings
• 2 cup flour + 1/4 cup flour
• 1 cup sugar
• 6 ounce cold unsalted butter, cut in small pieces
• 1 teaspoon zest
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 2 1/2 blueberries
• 1 egg
• 1/2 cup buttermilk, room temp
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
• Preheat your oven to 400°.
• Cut the cold butter into small pieces and place in a medium size bowl with flour, sugar and salt. Use your hand to mix the ingredients together, working the butter into the mixture using your fingers so that it has a course texture, it will be lumpy.
• Take out 1 1/2 cups of the mixture and set it aside to use as the topping.
• In a small bowl combine 1/4 cup flour, with baking soda, and zest add that to the remaining mixture in the bowl and mix by hand.
• In a small bowl whisk the egg, buttermilk and vanilla. Make sure that both the egg and the buttermilk are at room temperature. Once combined, fold in 1 cup of fruit and then add to the dry mixture and mix until just incorporated. Do not over mix.
• Prepare a 9″ round pan by cutting a piece of parchment paper to line the bottom and use butter to grease the inside of the pan, sides and bottom.
• Pour the mixture with the fruit into the bottom of the pan, top with 3/4 more berries, add the set aside topping mixture and cover with the remaining berries, pressing them lightly into the batter.
• Bake on middle rack at 400 degrees for 35 minutes. It can be longer depending on how moist your berries were. You will know the cake is done when it’s golden brown on the top and slightly firm to the touch. You can also insert a knife into the center, it is done when the knife comes out with only a few moist crumbs on it.
• Remove the cake from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before transferring from the pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Cake will stay fresh in an airtight container for 3-5 days.