02.13.14

BLUEBERRY CRUMB CAKE

i am mixing up the recipe posts over here and bringing you one from the DLF team. joanie is going to show you how to make blueberry crumb cake. she baked it at the office the other day and we all had a piece instead of actually eating lunch. its subtly sweet quality makes for a great breakfast or afternoon treat.

Blueberry Crumb Cake
yield: 8 servings

• 2 cup flour + 1/4 cup flour
• 1 cup sugar
• 6 ounce cold unsalted butter, cut in small pieces
• 1 teaspoon zest
• 1 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 2 1/2 blueberries
• 1 egg
• 1/2 cup buttermilk, room temp
• 1 teaspoon vanilla

• Preheat your oven to 400°.
• Cut the cold butter into small pieces and place in a medium size bowl with flour, sugar and salt. Use your hand to mix the ingredients together, working the butter into the mixture using your fingers so that it has a course texture, it will be lumpy.
• Take out 1 1/2 cups of the mixture and set it aside to use as the topping.
• In a small bowl combine 1/4 cup flour, with baking soda, and zest add that to the remaining mixture in the bowl and mix by hand.
• In a small bowl whisk the egg, buttermilk and vanilla. Make sure that both the egg and the buttermilk are at room temperature. Once combined, fold in 1 cup of fruit and then add to the dry mixture and mix until just incorporated. Do not over mix.

• Prepare a 9″ round pan by cutting a piece of parchment paper to line the bottom and use butter to grease the inside of the pan, sides and bottom.

• Pour the mixture with the fruit into the bottom of the pan, top with 3/4 more berries, add the set aside topping mixture and cover with the remaining berries, pressing them lightly into the batter.

• Bake on middle rack at 400 degrees for 35 minutes. It can be longer depending on how moist your berries were. You will know the cake is done when it’s golden brown on the top and slightly firm to the touch. You can also insert a knife into the center, it is done when the knife comes out with only a few moist crumbs on it.

• Remove the cake from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes before transferring from the pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Cake will stay fresh in an airtight container for 3-5 days.

(recipe by joanie cusack + photos by sheila gim for designlovefest– want more food posts? go here!)

• 1. Rose D. Frenchtown, NJ  |  February 13th, 2014 at 5:00 am

I am so making this, but I must know where you got the skirt and tee???? Great look!

• 2. Kelcey  |  February 13th, 2014 at 5:46 am

Yum! That looks delicious. I’m adding this to my “must bake” list.

-Kelcey
    Hellokelcey.blogspot.com

• 3. Kim  |  February 13th, 2014 at 5:48 am

That looks so delicious. Way better than a Krustez package, I bet. Now if only my boyfriend wouldn’t eat all the blueberries before I get to them…

• 4. Samantha [ little green ]  |  February 13th, 2014 at 6:03 am

Wow, this looks delicious! I’ll definitely be adding it to my recipe box :) xx

• 5. Chelsea  |  February 13th, 2014 at 6:15 am

This looks so yummy Bri! I’m definitely bookmarking this recipe for warmer days ahead.

xoxo,
    Chelsea & The City

• 6. Maggie  |  February 13th, 2014 at 7:09 am

Such a lovely recipe! I can’t wait to try it! xx

• 7. Jaclyn  |  February 13th, 2014 at 7:24 am

This looks so good and I love the way everything was photographed.It looks like it’s easy to make at home. Any excuse for cake in the morning is great too.

• 8. Dina  |  February 13th, 2014 at 7:49 am

This looks so yummy!
    I will try it out very soon!
    x

• 9. Kristina  |  February 13th, 2014 at 7:51 am

yum!! adding this to my list! I love, love cakes like this for snacking or an indulgent brunch. Thanks for sharing!!

• 10. Kevin | Thou Swell  |  February 13th, 2014 at 7:57 am

Oh looks delicious! I do love a crumble cake :)

• 11. Roxana  |  February 13th, 2014 at 8:57 am

Looks Delicious.
    But I can’t keep my eyes off that SINK!
    If anyone knows where I might find one,please let me know.

• 12. Rachel  |  February 13th, 2014 at 9:04 am

That looks delicious. I must try this.

Vintagehoneybee.blogspot.com

• 13. Mel  |  February 13th, 2014 at 9:08 am

Love the cake, but the BLUE sink: yummy.

• 14. maggie  |  February 13th, 2014 at 10:55 am

Don’t mind me, just drooling look at this post.

• 15. Jenna Champion  |  February 13th, 2014 at 11:43 am

This looks amazing!!! Perfect for breakfast with a yummy cup of french press! :)

• 16. Bitty Berlinghoff  |  February 13th, 2014 at 11:53 am

Oh man, new kitchen in action. It looks almost as good as that cake! Thanks for the recipe Joanie!

• 17. eliza  |  February 13th, 2014 at 12:47 pm

this looks so good!

roxana – i found a very similar (if not the same) sink from kohler. here’s the link:

hope this helps!

- eliza

• 18. Simone  |  February 13th, 2014 at 1:36 pm

Wow! Looks absolutely delicious! YUM. :)

• 19. Eddie Ross  |  February 13th, 2014 at 3:30 pm

Yum! This looks so delicious not to mention incredibly pretty on the rack in the last shot! Looking forward to full blueberry bushes this summer!
    E+J

• 20. vera  |  February 13th, 2014 at 4:59 pm

Wow, thank you for posting this!

• 21. Caitlin  |  February 13th, 2014 at 5:18 pm

wow, that just looks phenomenal.

• 22. Nicki M  |  February 13th, 2014 at 5:27 pm

The cake looks yummy but I can’t get over that turquoise sink!!

• 23. how to download videos fr&hellip  |  February 14th, 2014 at 9:47 am

how to download videos from youtube}

D E S I G N L O V E F E S T

• 24. Becca  |  February 15th, 2014 at 12:10 pm

Oh man, this looks amazing! I love a good crumb cake!

XOXO
    Becca | Ladyface Blog

• 25. Sharon Meagher  |  February 16th, 2014 at 5:17 am

I made the cake, it’s delicious. But I also want to know where you got the skirt ! Is it Boden?

• 26. ATasteOfMadness  |  February 16th, 2014 at 10:44 pm

I went to a buffet this morning with my boyfriend, and he told me that he has never tried a dessert with blueberry in it. Never! I need to educate him with this, this looks fantastic!

• 27. kim  |  February 17th, 2014 at 2:26 am

Baked it this weekend. Was amazing. Used 2 cups of blueberries and was more than enough. (I wasn’t quite sure what the measurement was anyway, so I just kinda guessed.) What a winner cake. And not to sweet.

• 28. Joanie  |  February 17th, 2014 at 4:38 pm

the skirt is from zara summer 2013!

• 29. easy dessert recipe&hellip  |  February 18th, 2014 at 2:39 am

easy dessert recipe

blueberry crumb cake | d e s i g n l o v e f e s t

• 30. Bakingmomma  |  February 18th, 2014 at 3:51 pm

Made this today. Used 2 cups of berries, that’s all I had. Added cinnamon to topping mixture, and it was yummy!

photo 2_zps8b7e2290.jpg