MAKE IT / 46
today we’re going to learn how to make a super easy, cheap and fun backdrop with jesi haack design. make it for your next party or just to have around the house, because backdrops make everything better! you might have already seen this one appear in a photo or two on my instagram, it was just too good not to share.
what you’ll need:
• chicken wire (4ft by 6ft)
• 3 pieces of 1” x 2” wood, 6ft tall
• spray paint
• staple gun
how to make it:
• start by spray painting your 3 pieces of wood and your chicken wire. you will only need to paint one side since the backdrop is meant to lean against a wall.
• next, lay down 2 of your long pieces of wood parallel to each other, then lay the 3rd over top, like you’re make the top of a square. nail the top piece to the top of the other two pieces to create the brace for your backdrop.
• it’s time to stretch your chicken wire. first, flip over your brace so that you are looking at the unpainted side of the wood. unroll the chicken wire and use your staple gun to attach the end to one of the pieces of wood. i would staple down every 3 inches. stretch the chicken wire over to the other piece of wood and pull it as tight as it will go to ensure there will be no rolls in the chicken wire.
• set the entire brace with your completed chicken wire up against a wall. now you’re ready to make your heart!
• place the napkin in your hand, and pull up the center of the napkin to make a point. start by setting the parameters of your heart. place a napkin where the bottom point of the heart will be and also one where the middle point of the heart will be. then place 2 napkins at the farthest point of each of the rounds of the heart will be.
• then start filling in the full outline of the heart…
• you don’t have to use every single hole in the chicken wire, i used about every other hole. if you see gaps, just fill them in or fluff up the napkins! hope you make & enjoy. – jesi
use it as a photo backdrop or as a cheerful element in your office…