12.16.13

MAKE IT / 46

today we’re going to learn how to make a super easy, cheap and fun backdrop with jesi haack design. make it for your next party or just to have around the house, because backdrops make everything better! you might have already seen this one appear in a photo or two on my instagram, it was just too good not to share.

what you’ll need:

• chicken wire (4ft by 6ft)
• 3 pieces of 1” x 2” wood, 6ft tall
• spray paint
• hammer
• nails
• napkins
• staple gun

how to make it:

• start by spray painting your 3 pieces of wood and your chicken wire. you will only need to paint one side since the backdrop is meant to lean against a wall.

• next, lay down 2 of your long pieces of wood parallel to each other, then lay the 3rd over top, like you’re make the top of a square. nail the top piece to the top of the other two pieces to create the brace for your backdrop.

• it’s time to stretch your chicken wire. first, flip over your brace so that you are looking at the unpainted side of the wood. unroll the chicken wire and use your staple gun to attach the end to one of the pieces of wood. i would staple down every 3 inches. stretch the chicken wire over to the other piece of wood and pull it as tight as it will go to ensure there will be no rolls in the chicken wire.

• set the entire brace with your completed chicken wire up against a wall. now you’re ready to make your heart!

• place the napkin in your hand, and pull up the center of the napkin to make a point. start by setting the parameters of your heart.  place a napkin where the bottom point of the heart will be and also one where the middle point of the heart will be. then place 2 napkins at the farthest point of each of the rounds of the heart will be.

• then start filling in the full outline of the heart…

• you don’t have to use every single hole in the chicken wire, i used about every other hole. if you see gaps, just fill them in or fluff up the napkins! hope you make & enjoy. jesi

use it as a photo backdrop or as a cheerful element in your office…

project by: jesi haack design for designlovefest
photos by: brittany wood
more DIY projects here and holiday entertaining tips here

Jennifer S says:

What a great, versatile idea! That’s basically what a lot of memory boards start as, and you could re-distribute the napkins and make all kinds of shapes. How fun!

Regina says:

I LOVE IT! Once again, such an awesome DIY project I absolutely love. Thanks DLF for always getting my creative gears goin’!

Shelley says:

That is such a cute project and fun pic prop. Once the base is up, there are endless possibilities beyond the heart. Thanks!

Dana says:

oh, wow. it´s so nice and looks easy to handle.
    and you look so beautiful.

warmly,
    dana

maggie says:

This is so freaking cute! Thanks for the tutorial!

Jessica Wray says:

GOSH! so simple and so effective!

Ice Pandora says:

This is super cuuuute!
    And I think this would look
    great on any wedding occasion c:
    Xx

JAY says:

Cutest thing ever!

Kory says:

How cute! This would even be cute for Valentines decor! Love!

Erin Haslag says:

So so so cute! And simple! It takes me back to high school days and making floats for parades, too!

Caroline says:

I am making this for a backdrop to my next wedding fair! x

this is BRILLIANT! wood frame, chicken wire, paper – there’s so many possibilities. I see DIY art for me home in the very near future – thanks DLF ladies

laura says:

This is too cute and the perfect idea for our engagement pictures! Such a cute backdrop!

OMG! That’s a great Christma’s gift! I love airbnb and I’ve been travelling lately staying on apartments from there, so would be so great to win this! Thanks in advance for that 😉

Best,

Anna

Gina says:

Great idea! I can’t wait to start! What paint color did you used? TIA.

Hi awesome web site! Male. Attractive. Excellent. Let me search for your blog and also use the nourishes on top of that? I’m grateful to find a lot of beneficial facts listed here in the publish, we want exercise much more procedures about this consider, many thanks revealing.

Bailey says:

WOW what a project!! So creative!

Howdy this is somewhat of off topic but I was wondering if blogs use WYSIWYG
    editors or if you have to manually code with HTML. I’m starting a blog soon but have no coding experience so I wanted to get advice from
    someone with experience. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Claudia says:

Hi,

I own a flower shop and would love to do this heart and hang it behind our window (inside the store). However you would be able to see it from both sides . . . people walking our sidewalk and shoppers that actually come in the store. How does the back side of the heart look? Is it as attractive?

OMG I LOVE THIS!!! I am so making this for my next engagement session. ^^

Anthony says:

has anyone tired this project but using fresh flowers??

Kajal says:

hello,

love your work, question, roughly how many napkins did you use? I’m trying to get an idea of how big I want my heart to be 🙂

I just found this on Pinterest… LOVE!! Thank you for the inspiration! xo