12.02.13

HOLIDAY WREATH DIY

The Holidays are my most beloved time of year. As a florist, we are advocates for bringing the outdoors in. During the Holiday’s we are decking the halls with garlands, mistletoe, and wreaths. -kristen from moon canyon design

Here is a very simple and fun wreath to make.

what you’ll need:

• grapevine wreath base
• cedar
• balsam fir
• acacia
• pine
• hemlock
• really any evergreen will do!

Start by creating your outer edges and working in towards your center. All you have to do is cut the pieces of green and tuck the into the grapevine base. The base is twisted up enough that it will hold the branches really well. No need for messing around with wire.

I really like asymmetry and so really there is no wrong way here! I like to keep the greens long and let them reach out and be wild.

It’s nice mix a bunch evergreens with different textures and shades of green. This creates such a wonderful winter forest palette. You can accent with ribbon or pine cones for an extra holiday burst.

With the extra bits and clippings from the wreaths I made these holiday corsages. Any chance I get to adorn myself with florals, I take it!

These corsages are basically petite posies tied with wire and accented with ribbon. If you have flowers that you want to add to the evergreens feel free to tie those in there as well. Pin them on and you have a beautiful fresh accent to your holiday look. Plus the scent is seriously amazing!

florals by: moon canyon design co. – see more floral posts here!
photos by: kimberly genevieve

• 1. Becca  |  December 2nd, 2013 at 7:34 am

This is such a gorgeous wreath! I’ve been thinking of whipping one up and this is right up my alley. I bet it smells AMAZING!

-Becca
    Ladyface Blog

• 2. Ellen  |  December 2nd, 2013 at 8:09 am

Where are common places you can find the materials for this–or is it as simple as exploring your backyard?

• 3. Beth  |  December 2nd, 2013 at 8:47 am

This is seriously super gorgeous, that wreath and the corsages are a breath of fresh air and creativity, totally stealing this for my work’s holiday party that I’m planning! Thanks so much <3

• 4. Caitlin Liz  |  December 2nd, 2013 at 10:33 am

Simply gorgeous! I love the asymmetry too and I’ll bet it makes the room smell heavenly! (great option for those of us who don’t have room for real trees but still want that fresh pine smell)

• 5. maggie  |  December 2nd, 2013 at 1:24 pm

This is stunning! And I have the same question as Ellen – where is a good place to get all of these materials?

• 6. Rebecca  |  December 2nd, 2013 at 5:08 pm

I love making wreaths at the holidays…the one branch looks like frasier fir, one of the best christmas trees!

• 7. Faith  |  December 2nd, 2013 at 5:41 pm

My favorite is the 5th picture. Very cool.

• 8. Erin Radler  |  December 2nd, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Everything you put on this blog is amazing. I will definitely be referring back to this when I *attempt* to make a wreath ;)

• 9. Rachel  |  December 3rd, 2013 at 8:53 am

I absolutely love the wreath and the corsages are great. what a good way to use your scraps. So pretty.

Vintagehoneybee.blogspot.com

• 10. Rebecca  |  December 3rd, 2013 at 10:40 am

Thanks for the tutorial! I am definitely making a few of my own wreaths this year!

• 11. Juice Plus&hellip  |  December 4th, 2013 at 6:26 am

Juice Plus

D E S I G N L O V E F E S T – Part 2

• 12. gracie  |  December 4th, 2013 at 11:21 am

So gorgeous, I made my wreath last year and I can’t wait to do it again using this guide. x

• 13. Brittany  |  December 13th, 2013 at 8:58 am

Ellen & Maggie — flower marts have a ton of this stuff this time of year. I’m willing to bet a lot of flower shops and nurseries have them too. I know that certain xmas tree lots give away their scraps from when then trim the trees for their customers (i got a few branches for free from the lot in the home depot parking lot)

• 14. 2moiselles  |  December 23rd, 2013 at 12:37 am

ça a l’air si simple à réaliser comme ça mais je suis certaine qu’en m’y essayant le résultat ne serait pas le même!! Merry Christmas :-)

• 15. www.Youtube.com&hellip  |  February 11th, 2014 at 11:34 pm

Gin | D E S I G N L O V E F E S T

• 16. Gail  |  May 28th, 2014 at 6:30 am

You can get evergreens at Home Depot, free. Once they start selling Christmas trees and cut off some of the limbs and discard those branches.

photo 2_zps8b7e2290.jpg