11.05.13

MAKE IT / 43

today we will be making a napping tent with bramble workshop! make a comfortable corner in your home or office to take a break from your day. take a book in there and just chill out. (she’s also making these custom, if you want to buy one from her etsy shop)

we put ours in the new studio. here’s how to make the tent…

what you’ll need:

• 1/8 inch rope Two wreath forms (from Michaels): 18” and 12”
• 74 unstained wood beads: 46 small and 28 large
• One 2” wood cabone ring
ScotchBlue™™ Painter’s Tape
• white paint
• brush
• silver spray paint
• wood stain in oak
• Four 12 foot long pieces of white netting
3M™ Safety Products disposable respirator mask used when spray painting

how to make it:

• Stain beads with wood stain and allow to dry.

• Using ScotchBlue™™ Painter’s Tape, mask off 1/3-1/2 of each bead with tape at random angles. Spray paint beads silver, dry, and remove tape.

• Paint wreath forms white and allow to dry

• Cut 3 lengths of rope: two 11 foot and one 8 foot. Set one 11 foot rope aside.

• Mark 11 foot rope at 5 ½ feet and 8 foot rope at 2 ½ feet. This will be the center and where the cabone ring is attached to hang the canopy.

• Measure and mark 9 ½ inches on either side initial marks. (there will be 3 marks per rope.)

• Wrap tape around ends of rope to prevent fraying and make threading beads easier. Use needle-nose pliers to pull rope through if necessary.

• Thread 5 beads through each end so that they’re just above the second set of marks

• Thread rope through 12” wreath form and tie a knot at mark

• Measure 5” from knot and mark

• Thread rope through 18” wreath form and knot at mark (you will only use four of the holes in each wreath form)

• Thread rope through 9 beads (alternating large and small) to hang at end of rope and knot.

• The 8 foot rope will have one end that is shorter- this hangs above the opening of the canopy. The other three ropes should be the same length and have 9 beads on each end.

• Attach 9 beads (alternating large and small) to either end of the second piece of 11 foot rope and spread beads apart at random intervals. This is a decorative element that hangs on either side of the canopy opening

• Attach cabone ring to top of canopy frame using a lark’s head knot.

blog name

• Drape the four pieces of fabric over top of canopy structure with about 18” of fabric hanging down in the center of canopy

• We hung a plant from the center for the finishing touch. (planter from urban outfitters)

to style the tent, we used pillows from:
west elm (here and here)
anthropologie (here, here and here)
moroccan wedding blanket from maven collection
triangle pillow by caroline z hurley
baskets from connected goods

i love how the finished product came out. it really adds warmth and comfort to our studio!

project by: bramble workshop for designlovefest (buy a custom tent here!)
photos by: kimberly genevieve
more DIY projects here

This post is a collaboration with 3MDIY.com

• 1. Stevie  |  November 5th, 2013 at 5:51 am

Looks lovely and I’ve wanted one of these for ages!

How do you attach the netting?

• 2. E  |  November 5th, 2013 at 8:29 am

What’s the nail polish featured? It’s beautiful!

• 3. maggie  |  November 5th, 2013 at 9:21 am

This is amazing! I HAVE to do this.

• 4. Corina Nika  |  November 5th, 2013 at 9:26 am

This is like out of this world!!

• 5. brittany  |  November 5th, 2013 at 9:39 am

wait there’s netting on yours and in the pics but no mention of that?

• 6. bri  |  November 5th, 2013 at 9:52 am

hi brittany & stevie! for some reason that photo wasn’t loading. she just draped it over the center and let it hang down. if you don’t move the tent around too much, it stays really well just draped because of the material.

• 7. Renée Yoxon  |  November 5th, 2013 at 9:59 am

Wow this look incredibly cozy. You must be absolutely adoring your new studio!

• 8. Blake from B Street Shoes on Etsy  |  November 5th, 2013 at 10:19 am

Awesome creativity

• 9. ana {bluebirdkisses}  |  November 5th, 2013 at 10:49 am

so cute! i’m actually renovating my office to include a playroom for my 2.5 year old so this will be perfect!

• 10. Charlotte  |  November 5th, 2013 at 11:33 am

This is amazing, I need one to escape to!

• 11. Anonymous  |  November 5th, 2013 at 11:46 am

Really beautiful! The plant in the center is such a fun touch and gives it some extra warmth. I could see using shells or drift wood too for decor. The real question is how do you get anything done during the day with the nap tent beckoning?!

• 12. Bianca  |  November 5th, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Oh my, how pretty! And I second the question on the nail polish – it’s gorgeous, what is it?

• 13. Danielle  |  November 5th, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Well, this is about the coolest DIY I’ve seen.

• 14. Monica  |  November 5th, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Love this! It would be such a nice addition to my bedroom.

• 15. Leah Faye  |  November 5th, 2013 at 4:20 pm

This is so pretty! It would be the perfect space to take a nap.
    Leah Faye
    a clover and a bee

• 16. Chelsea  |  November 5th, 2013 at 6:01 pm

I wish i had enough room in my bedroom to make one of these, it would be pure bliss! x

• 17. anonymous!  |  November 5th, 2013 at 6:17 pm

This looks like a glam mosquito net… Perhaps you should do a project to help beautify the fight against malaria.

• 18. Anonymous  |  November 5th, 2013 at 8:21 pm

This is amazing!! I must do this in my office, I am so excited about this :D

XO Melissa

Sale Rack!

• 19. Melissa  |  November 5th, 2013 at 8:21 pm

This is amazing!! I must do this in my office, I am so excited about this :D

XO Melissa

Sale Rack!

• 20. In a Trendy Town  |  November 6th, 2013 at 3:30 am

What a beautiful place to sleep, we like it so much.

Regards from http://inatrendytown.blogspot.com.es/2013/11/dance-for-kindness.html

• 21. Maddy  |  November 6th, 2013 at 10:30 am

OMG, anything that looks like a fort or a tent or a secret gauzy hideaway, and I’m in!

• 22. Stacia  |  November 9th, 2013 at 9:18 pm

This is so delightful! I’ve been wanting to make one of these forever. Now maybe I will.

• 23. Vanessa  |  April 25th, 2014 at 4:29 am

Lovely idea! Looks like a great place to relax :)

• 24. web reklama  |  May 22nd, 2014 at 8:44 am

dodatkowo przywodzą, na sposób butny jesteś, iż obstawali w tym karkołomnym.

• 25. er34r  |  May 25th, 2014 at 5:02 am

Ewentualnie niezwykle pracowity także zachęcające. Naucz milusiński , iż wychowanie kawalerii istnieje procesem. Zakwestionować.

• 26. Elden Dezan  |  June 3rd, 2014 at 1:24 pm

jeszcze ustawić po tym aż nie zdołam poczynić jeszcze jakiś orędownik.

COOL BEACH TOWEL…