10.29.13

INSPIRED BY DIANA VREELAND

i watched the documentary about diana vreeland called the eye has to travel. diana was the influential editor at Harper’s Bazaar and Vogue magazine and produced some of my absolute favorite fashion stories. (twiggy, cher, lauren bacall, audrey hepburn etc.) i was most inspired by her philosophy on the creative process. her artistic vision. her wild & unapologetic ideas. her desire to push the limits. her thrilling point of view on fashion and photography. i just know she put some ideas in my mind for the style column…

i loved this quote the most: “you’re not supposed to give people what they want, you’re supposed to give them what they don’t know they want yet.”

you just have to watch the trailer here…hopefully it inspires you as much as it did for me!

(calligraphy here)

Dana says:

I love this quote, too.

PERFECT.

Warmly,
    Dana

Susan says:

Thanks Bri! Definitely on my must watch list now :)

Alecia says:

i loved this documentary also. I try to always keep that mantra in mind when creating content. Sometimes my ideas are bizarre and weird, and I can feel so insecure with thinking am I giving people what they want? It is always encouraging to hear others who have gone before me to reinforce that weird is good and the unfamiliar is beautiful territory that should be explored.

arin says:

aw, such a beautiful post! i love the black and white :) HeartofChic.com

Tori says:

I can’t wait to watch this!! You’re right, the trailer is so inspiring!!

Much love, http://myomlife.com/

did she talk about how she eats peanut butter & jelly sandwiches every day with her scotch? i gotta watch this. love her!

Thank you for sharing my calligraphy piece Bri…DV is so inspiring and I loved that documentary. Her “why don’t you” column is one my favorite things she has ever written.

I absolutely loved this post! She is a very inspiring woman. I love the quote “you’re not supposed to give people what they want, you’re supposed to give them what they don’t know they want yet.” Truly ahead of her time.

Thank you for sharing!
    Jen

*Sigh* This is speaking to my heart in so many ways tonight. I adore her…

Jess Gerrow says:

GREAT doc right?! I especially loved her unapologetic attitude. I watched The Eye Has to Travel a few months ago and, as cliche as it sounds, I am making an effort at being braver (a la Vreeland) and it’s sort of working.

Cheers to Vreeland!

And to great docs :)

Catherine says:

Such a clever women! She had the foresight to see the potential of the 60s and support the young designers and photographers of the time and push them into the spotlight. Such a great woman!

Katherine W says:

I love this post. I saw the film in the theater last Thanksgiving and practically cried from happiness the whole time. She’s one of the many reasons I got my MA in museum studies/history of fashion and went into the curatorial field. While her museum ethics were questionable, she is one of the pioneers (if not THE) of blockbuster fashion exhibitions of which there is good and bad. My mentor June Burns Bove is also in this talking about working with her. She used to mention her all the time and how much fun and intense it was to work with her. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall.

It’s amazing how someone like Diana Vreeland dominates the design world, the world of decor and wall art, not to mention fashion. So inspirational to think that one woman could do all that.

'Becca'lise says:

Diana Vreeland is my hero. I’ve read her book “DV” about a hundred million times…first learned about her when I was 16 or so, which is the perfect age to be introduced to her brilliance!