i called on my talented friends from over at bash, please over to the studio to give you some last minute halloween tabletop ideas. and then pharmacie is going to give you 3 delicious cocktail recipes for your party. i absolutely love what they put together. such a sophisticated setup and so simple to execute! and of course, jesse has a special way with the camera…
“halloween is best served up simply spooky or it can be overkill on the orange kitsch factor. we chose to go more suggestive and organic to elevate our cocktail party.” – bash, please
here’s a few tips to recreate this vibe!
• cheesecloth is all you need for tablecloths. it works wonders draping over all your furniture for an ethereal, abandoned house vibe.
• name your cocktails after your favorite scary movie or song. we chose quotes from Psycho, The Shining and The Doors lyrics “bloody red sun of fantastic LA”. we warmed up our best cursive and adorned these black platters with a white paint pen in flourished script. (you can draw it out lightly with pencil first)
• pampas grass makes a great table underlay that feels a bit like spider webs, a bit like a dusty ghost. cheap and easy to cut and lay around the house for autumnal eerie-ness. we topped it with grey and white pumpkins for a neutral, subdued effect. stack and lean your pumpkins for movement and an alive feeling.
• skip white candles and get gray or black. more dramatic and the drip is so pretty and haunting.
• forage your neighborhood for dead branches! They feel like creepy fingers tucked into any holiday tabletop or on a serving tray.
and now for the drinks…
“These are (mostly) classically-style, aromatic cocktails meant for sipping. There are a few somewhat obscure ingredients, but a trip to your local high-end spirits shop (or even Bevmo) should help in sourcing those bottles.” –talmadge from pharmacie
THE JACK TORRANCE
1.5 oz Rum (Cana Brava is great here)
3/4 oz Apfelkorn Apple Liqueur
3/4 oz St Elizabeth’s Allspice Dram
2 dashes Angostura Orange Bitters
Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker over ice and shake vigorously. Then strain into a coupe or other “up” glass. Add bitters. Garnish with a little orange zest.
1 oz White Whiskey or Urban Moonshine (I use Buffalo Trace White Dog Mash #1)
1 oz Bechorovka
3/4 oz Orgeat
Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker over ice and shake vigorously. Then strain into a coupe or other “up” glass. Garnish with a star anise pod.
BLOOD RED SUN OF FANTASTIC L.A.
1 oz Tequila (Blanco)
1 oz Orange Juice
1 oz Tangerine Juice
1.5 oz Sanbitter Soda
2-3 drops Absinthe
Combine juice and tequila in a tall “collins” glass, ad ice. The top with Sanbitter and Absinthe. If you can’t find Sanbitter, you can use Chinotto or Campari (just not as good).