10.28.13

HALLOWEEN ENTERTAINING

i called on my talented friends from over at bash, please over to the studio to give you some last minute halloween tabletop ideas. and then pharmacie is going to give you 3 delicious cocktail recipes for your party. i absolutely love what they put together. such a sophisticated setup and so simple to execute! and of course, jesse has a special way with the camera…

“halloween is best served up simply spooky or it can be overkill on the orange kitsch factor. we chose to go more suggestive and organic to elevate our cocktail party.” – bash, please

here’s a few tips to recreate this vibe!

• cheesecloth is all you need for tablecloths. it works wonders draping over all your furniture for an ethereal, abandoned house vibe.

• name your cocktails after your favorite scary movie or song. we chose quotes from Psycho, The Shining and The Doors lyrics “bloody red sun of fantastic LA”. we warmed up our best cursive and adorned these black platters with a white paint pen in flourished script. (you can draw it out lightly with pencil first)

• pampas grass makes a great table underlay that feels a bit like spider webs, a bit like a dusty ghost. cheap and easy to cut and lay around the house for autumnal eerie-ness. we topped it with grey and white pumpkins for a neutral, subdued effect. stack and lean your pumpkins for movement and an alive feeling.

• skip white candles and get gray or black. more dramatic and the drip is so pretty and haunting.

• forage your neighborhood for dead branches! They feel like creepy fingers tucked into any holiday tabletop or on a serving tray.

and now for the drinks…

“These are (mostly) classically-style, aromatic cocktails meant for sipping. There are a few somewhat obscure ingredients, but a trip to your local high-end spirits shop (or even Bevmo) should help in sourcing those bottles.” –talmadge from pharmacie

THE JACK TORRANCE

1.5 oz Rum (Cana Brava is great here)
3/4 oz Apfelkorn Apple Liqueur
3/4 oz St Elizabeth’s Allspice Dram
2 dashes Angostura Orange Bitters

Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker over ice and shake vigorously. Then strain into a coupe or other “up” glass. Add bitters. Garnish with a little orange zest.

MRS. BATES

1 oz White Whiskey or Urban Moonshine (I use Buffalo Trace White Dog Mash #1)
1 oz Bechorovka
3/4 oz Orgeat

Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker over ice and shake vigorously. Then strain into a coupe or other “up” glass. Garnish with a star anise pod.

BLOOD RED SUN OF FANTASTIC L.A.

1 oz Tequila (Blanco)
1 oz Orange Juice
1 oz Tangerine Juice
1.5 oz Sanbitter Soda
2-3 drops Absinthe

Combine juice and tequila in a tall “collins” glass, ad ice. The top with Sanbitter and Absinthe. If you can’t find Sanbitter, you can use Chinotto or Campari (just not as good).line

photos by: jesse chamberlin
drinks by: pharmacie

decor by: bash please

I am not entertaining this Halloween, but the decor looks amazing and I am sure that those cocktails are tasty.

absolutely love the cocktails, especially the one inspired by the doors.

Molly {Dreams in HD}

Alecia says:

love it! I am not much of a halloween decorator – but I would definitely like to pull this one off. how on earth is your handwriting that amazing? mad props to you!

Bravo! Another post where I want to pin every image.

Agreeing with miss Kelly above — pinning everything. Fab projects!

xo, http://www.lilyonfillmore.com

Kate says:

Those trays…I am in love. And love your nails. Thanks for such a fab weekend!

Kate

Theresa says:

The picture of the pumpkins was well worth climbing a ladder for! I love the entire vibe 🙂 Well done!

amber says:

Love this! How fun 🙂 Some really great projects here!

Natalie says:

Big fan of the serving trays. Even bigger fan of the evil eye mani. Love this post through and through.

Kristin says:

Love the color palette. Also the pumpkins mixed in with the black candles are a fantastic idea.

amanda says:

ohhhhh i love love love this table set up. so good, so unique.

Kat says:

YES. Brownie points for referencing Psycho. Hitchcock is only the best.

Nathalie Köhler M. says:

I’m head over heels for this post.. I love that you could envision a not-so-dark halloween.. This is one of my favorite posts!!

Aah! The creepy eye fingernails are an amazing touch!

Hi!
    I love your take on Halloween – understated but glamourous.. And the evil eye nails are fab!

valerie says:

i happen to love and adore halloween and i have to say that this is one of the most classy, gorgeous, yet eerie tablescapes i’ve ever seen! this should be on an october magazine cover! i’m in awe… such lovely ideas- the colors and the texture of the pampas grass makes my heart pitter patter. my house has been decorated for a month, but next year i’m stealing this amazingness!

So beautifully styled! You guys are amazing. 🙂

I’m in love with the trays. They’re little graphic pieces of art. Their elegance makes the creepy factor multiply indefinitely. All the little details gathered together like the pumpkins and cheesecloth create the perfect mood.

Erin Haslag says:

I looooove the evil eye nails! So fun!

Nikki says:

This is BY FAR the most beautiful Halloween decor I have ever seen. I’m usually not a huge fan of the holiday, as most of the decor out there is just not good, but this, THIS I can get on board with. Next year, it’s going down.

Love those Bash, please gals. They are beyond genius. I wish I could crash every party they plan! Let’s see more holiday decor please!

Steven says:

I know thiks web page presents quality dependent articles or reviews and
    additional data, is there any otber web page which
    gives these kinds of information in quality?

You actually make it appear so easy along with your presentation but I find this topic to be really something that I think I’d by no means understand. It sort of feels too complicated and very large for me. I’m looking forward for your next post, I will try to get the grasp of it!

pamela hogan ymca http://www.cdlckj.net/pg.php?hgqaqi