09.18.13

SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE

if i work out early in the morning, i usually crave something on the healthier side instead of my usual huevos rancheros or baked eggs. i’ve been getting shakes for a few weeks after class until i started making my own instead. shakes can be pretty expensive around here ($9-12) and i can make one using the produce in my fridge for a lot less. today we are going to show you 3 very simple shake recipes that jen put together for ya. we use this ninja professional blender from best buy and it chops up pretty much anything we throw in there in seconds. the only downfall to a super fast blender is sometimes i get spooked and jump back when i turn it on because it’s powerful. but i scare easily, haha.

watch this short video on how we use the blender for our 3 shakes…the inspiration was coffee, berries, and greens. thanks for the video, arian!

and here’s the breakdown of the ingredients…

speeddate

The Speed Dater Recipe

• 1 cup cold coffee (either leftover brew or mix a heaping tablespoon of instant coffee into a cup of water.  it’s actually quite good, but don’t tell anyone i said that).

• 1 1/2 cups almond mik

• 1/2 cup chopped , pitted dates

• 1 teaspoon vanilla

• 1 cup of ice

• pinch of salt

The Kale Colada Recipe

• 1 packed cup of chopped kale (be sure to remove the spine)

• 3/4 cup pineapple juice

• 1 1/2 cup coconut milk

• 1 pear (peeled and cubed)

• 1 cup of ice

The Old Schooler Recipe

• 1 banana

• 1 cup plain yogurt

• 2 tablespoons honey

• 1/2 cup blueberries

• 1/2 cup raspberries

• 1/2 mango (peeled and cubed)

• 6 strawberries

note: you can freeze any of the fruit, especially the banana for more of an icy shake!

line

photos & recipe by: jen gotch
video by: modshift
art direction by: bri emery
want more food posts? go here!

(This post is brought to you by Best Buy. To learn more and find great deals on small appliances that do big things, visit BestBuy.com/DoBigThings. Thank you for supporting the sponsors that allow us to make new and unique content for you!)

• 1. Rebecca  |  September 18th, 2013 at 12:15 pm

I love making these too…I have the nutri bullet which I love, you are right though they are really loud! Especially with the frozen fruit.

• 2. Nadine  |  September 18th, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Wow! So good! Loved the video. I’m going to try the coffee one. Looks delicious.

• 3. Valerie | Lily on Fillmore  |  September 18th, 2013 at 12:27 pm

Fantastic video, and I’m all about that kale one. Looks so yummy!

xo, http://www.lilyonfillmore.com

• 4. Courtney Elizabeth  |  September 18th, 2013 at 12:31 pm

The first and last – yes, yes, yes! Can’t wait to try them all.

• 5. Clara of Channeling Contessa  |  September 18th, 2013 at 12:42 pm

I NEED that speed dater! Such a brilliant idea to put dates in your iced coffee.

• 6. michelle  |  September 18th, 2013 at 1:09 pm

I am all about this! Cocoa powder is a great alternative for the coffee one for those who don’t feel like brewing up a pot before they get there shake…I pretty much have a version of this every morning (I like too add a banana to it) so yum!

xx
    love you guys

• 7. Emily  |  September 18th, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Ha! That date one sounds really tasty. Also sounds like a perfect recipe to get things moving along if you know what I mean!

• 8. YoungMild&Free  |  September 18th, 2013 at 3:09 pm

That Kale Colada sounds amazing! Can’t wait to try it.

xx
    youngmildandfree.wordpress.com

• 9. gloria c. waters  |  September 18th, 2013 at 3:10 pm

really curious about the speed dater, looks tasty. i just went back on a shake diet and just blended up my green monster smoothie: banana, spinach, PB, greek yogurt, almond milk… delish!

• 10. Jeanetta  |  September 18th, 2013 at 4:07 pm

Great video. Love the recipes (especially their names), styling and the LETTERING. Good stuff.

• 11. jennifer prod  |  September 18th, 2013 at 4:21 pm

only you could design juices to be this much fun :) love it.

• 12. Ludmilla  |  September 18th, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Love the coffee shake. I do a similar one except I use organic oat milk. Just lovely.

Ludmilla

• 13. Binary Trading Options&hellip  |  September 18th, 2013 at 6:30 pm

Binary Trading Options

D E S I G N L O V E F E S T

• 14. Rhonda  |  September 18th, 2013 at 6:34 pm

These look so yummy!!!! I am in a cooking/baking/blending mood!!

Rhonda

• 15. Kristina  |  September 18th, 2013 at 6:46 pm

These look delish! What’s the name of that song, love it!

• 16. Anonymous  |  September 18th, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Great, now I’ll be on a “buy a blender mission” lol cool video!

—Coquita

Coquitavanagas.blogspot.com

• 17. Stephanie  |  September 18th, 2013 at 9:40 pm

I am absolutely loving all of the new creative videos around here, Bri! You three did such a good job with this one. Really fun and colorful!

• 18. LARY@Inspiration Nook  |  September 18th, 2013 at 10:18 pm

They look and sound delicious! Love the video too.

• 19. lotus  |  September 18th, 2013 at 11:40 pm

gosh, this looks so delicious. i stumbled upon your blog and ah it is amazing! keep it up!! : )

• 20. Alexandria  |  September 19th, 2013 at 5:02 am

Love the video! These shakes look so tasty! Yum :)

• 21. Lori F  |  September 19th, 2013 at 6:51 am

What kind of coconut milk do you use or can we use? The only one that I can think of is the one in the can, is that it?

• 22. Link Love: 9.18.13 | Nubb&hellip  |  September 19th, 2013 at 7:02 am

[…] • If you’re looking for some new healthy shake recipes, here’s 3 awesome ones to try out. […]

• 23. Daisy  |  September 19th, 2013 at 8:34 am

The kale colada looks sooo good!! Can’t wait to try it!
    Great video btw! :)

• 24. Kimberly  |  September 19th, 2013 at 1:43 pm

Seriously, that iced coffee is amazing. My husband even liked it! That will definitely be taking the place of my sugar-filled morning coffees. Thanks Bri and Jen!

• 25. Lovely Links | The Efferv&hellip  |  September 20th, 2013 at 10:45 am

[…] /1/ I found Brandi’s lovely blog on when she commented on one of my instagram photos. Check out her blog for some fall outfit inspiration. /2/ If you are not watching Bee and Puppycat already… I really don’t know what to tell other than to watch it. This is also my Halloween costume. /3/ These notebooks remind me of passports. /4/ Love these boots and this sweater from Parc. /5/ This book sounds delightful. /6/ Shakes! […]

• 26. Running Wild: Friday&hellip  |  September 20th, 2013 at 10:49 am

[…] Favorite Sip: 3 delicious sounding shake recipes […]

• 27. bathroom remodel Ideas&hellip  |  September 20th, 2013 at 3:04 pm

bathroom remodel Ideas

D E S I G N L O V E F E S T

• 28. Kristianna  |  September 20th, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I’m loving the idea of making a coffee morning shake. My one vice… :)

• 29. Dune  |  September 22nd, 2013 at 6:35 am

I absolutely love the video ! Great idea, it “pops” ! xx

• 30. Shake it Off | LasterStud&hellip  |  September 25th, 2013 at 1:26 am

[…] you are in to Smoothies like we are, we stumbled across this great post on this clever website for innovative creations. […]

• 31. Leonie  |  September 25th, 2013 at 11:19 am

Oh, I love the video! It’s time to get myself some more breakfast smoothies, I guess!

• 32. Second Floor Flat  |  September 29th, 2013 at 10:17 am

I make a green smoothie every morning, but never would’ve thought of the Speed Dater recipe or the Kale Colada. Dying to try both now!

• 33. Ортомол Arthro Plus  |  November 14th, 2013 at 10:01 am

You understand consequently noticeably on the subject of this specific subject, developed people trust me from many many aspects. It’s for instance males and females don’t seem to be curious until it’s something with regards to Gal coo! Your individual products exceptional. At all times deal with this!

• 34. http://www.youtube.com&hellip  |  December 16th, 2013 at 8:05 am

• 35. Discounted coffee capsules  |  December 17th, 2013 at 6:29 am

I feel happier just by looking at those photos and I am sure the drinks are just as good! Great post!

• 36. thefolia  |  January 4th, 2014 at 8:32 am

Beautiful and healthy–what more can we ask for? Happy Nesting.

• 37. redirected here&hellip  |  January 4th, 2014 at 9:53 pm

redirected here

• 38. minecraft free download b&hellip  |  January 5th, 2014 at 4:03 pm

minecraft free download beta 1.3

• 39. Cracked steam&hellip  |  January 7th, 2014 at 2:51 am

Cracked steam

• 40. diablo 3 microsoft office&hellip  |  January 7th, 2014 at 6:17 am

diablo 3 microsoft office cracked pirate bay

• 41. steam key generators do t&hellip  |  January 7th, 2014 at 12:55 pm

steam key generators do they work

• 42. diablo 3 crack file downl&hellip  |  January 7th, 2014 at 6:09 pm

diablo 3 crack file download

• 43. microsoft points generato&hellip  |  January 8th, 2014 at 2:19 am

microsoft points generator 2012-3-2

• 44. zetaclear&hellip  |  January 10th, 2014 at 3:27 am

zetaclear

• 45. candy crush saga beat lev&hellip  |  January 11th, 2014 at 9:42 am

candy crush saga beat level 92

• 46. simply click the next int&hellip  |  January 12th, 2014 at 4:59 am

simply click the next internet site

• 47. candy crush saga level 65&hellip  |  January 12th, 2014 at 9:54 pm

candy crush saga level 65 chocolate

• 48. clash of clans hack 2013&hellip  |  January 13th, 2014 at 2:38 am

clash of clans hack 2013

• 49. describes it&hellip  |  January 13th, 2014 at 10:44 am

describes it

• 50. candy crush ps2 cheats an&hellip  |  January 13th, 2014 at 2:54 pm

candy crush ps2 cheats and guides

• 51. cracked steam license fix&hellip  |  January 13th, 2014 at 6:42 pm

cracked steam license fixed Asset

• 52. go to these guys&hellip  |  January 14th, 2014 at 5:09 am

go to these guys

SHAKE SHAKE SHAKE | D E S I G N L O V E F E S T

• 53. psn code generator slender no download online  |  January 19th, 2014 at 8:46 am

Formed by world-class developer Slightly Mad Studios, Ferrari Racing psn code generator Legends explores the heritage of
    Ferrari Racing. Now that you’re aware of this, you may find that having all of your
    inquiries and we will do our best to help ASAP. As you can see that Stacie is consistent within one millimeter.

• 54. Bed Bug Exterminator New York  |  March 26th, 2014 at 11:56 pm

Fantastic web site. Plenty of useful information here.
    I’m sending it to some buddies ans additionally sharing
    in delicious. And of course, thannks in your sweat!

Also visit mmy webpage; Bed Bug Exterminator New York

• 55. bed bug preparation new york  |  April 11th, 2014 at 8:17 pm

Hmm it seems like your blog ate my first comment (it was extremely long) so I guess I’ll just sum it up what I wrote and say,
    I’m thoroughly enjoying your blog. I as well am an aspiring blog
    blogger but I’m still new to everything. Do you have any recommendations for
    inexperienced blog writers? I’d definitely appreciate
    it.