09.17.13

PLAYING WITH PATTERNS

today we are talking about mixing some great fall patterns into your wardrobe…

i love this look because it’s very comfortable and casual, but at the same time comes off very chic. the buttoned up silk shirt tucked into a pair of patterned shorts is the perfect outfit for fall in los angeles. (you could always do a patterned pant for the colder climates out there.) A cateye liner, an orange lip and soft curls add a sophisticated touch and also brings in some femininity to balance out the more masculine prints.

ps, a little tip about these curtains. see how heather transformed her loft space with these lace curtains from ikea. doesn’t it look great? (full pic on my instagram here)

to throw one more print into the mix, i added these leopard loafers with a metallic cap toe. i got them for $50 at nordstom rack. i always seem to score when it comes to shoes there. i’ve sandwiched the larger print on the shirt & the shoes, keeping the smaller scale pattern on the shorts in the center. this scale change breaks up the outfit and allows me to mix three different prints together.

if you wanted to bring in some color, you can add a bright sweater that compliments the tones of your patterns. i rolled up the sleeves so you could still see the stripes peeking out. the sweater gives the look a much more laid-back vibe as well.

shop this look:

Zara striped silk shirt, Vintage houndstooth shorts, Vintage purple sweater, 14th and Union leopard loafers from Nordstrom Rack.

photos by: heather gildroy
styled by: joanie cusack
hair by:
 alicyn blackman
makeup by: kelly shew

(see more style posts here. this post is brought to you by nordstrom rack. embark on your fall style hunt and discover the season’s fashions for less.)

• 1. Monica  |  September 17th, 2013 at 5:05 am

Playing with patterns is fun, and I think it’s great for fall fashion because you can really play with different textures, too! The orange lip and soft curls help balance out each look – great post :)

• 2. Catherine  |  September 17th, 2013 at 5:52 am

Looking gorgeous Bri! I love the striped shirt, shorts and jumper. We’re moving into spring so a good time to mix florals in my outfits

• 3. Maureen @SheisMoments  |  September 17th, 2013 at 6:06 am

Love those shorts! I can even see them in this fall weather we’re having in DC with some opaque tights!

• 4. kelsey  |  September 17th, 2013 at 6:44 am

beautiful! oh my goodness, i adore these two outfits
    kw ladies in navy

• 5. Georgia  |  September 17th, 2013 at 7:06 am

Stunning! The first look is definitely chick and romantic in the same time! Love pattern mixing.

• 6. Brooke  |  September 17th, 2013 at 7:13 am

You look absolutely stunning! What beautiful photos and styling. Love all of your pattern mixing. Stripes and leopard are one of my favorite combos.

xo honestly, b.

• 7. Laura  |  September 17th, 2013 at 8:12 am

I love the way these photo’s are styled and the use of light! so creative!

• 8. Alexa Sonken {Invitations for Creatives}  |  September 17th, 2013 at 8:42 am

That striped top is to die for!

• 9. Abbey  |  September 17th, 2013 at 9:20 am

Amazing photos, bri! I love the lace curtains, and your style is fantastic!

• 10. gloria c. waters  |  September 17th, 2013 at 9:30 am

thinking of what i can create from my closet today thanks to you! i need to go thrifting PRONTO.

• 11. maggie  |  September 17th, 2013 at 9:53 am

Love these looks – gotta experiment with some patterned clothes that have been neglected for far too long!

• 12. Anneli  |  September 17th, 2013 at 10:04 am

Pure perfection!

• 13. YoungMild&Free  |  September 17th, 2013 at 10:19 am

I love those shoes! So so cute.

xx
    youngmildandfree.wordpress.com

• 14. MFree  |  September 17th, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Super cute! I’m not brave enough to wear shorts to work but wish I was. Also love that lip color on you!

• 15. Shua  |  September 17th, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Oh! you changed your profile picture!!! Neat style!

• 16. CMYK  |  September 17th, 2013 at 5:55 pm

pretty sure you’re legally bound to disclose if a post is sponsored at the start of said post. not at the very end…

• 17. Duyen  |  September 17th, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Bri, do you remember which lipstick you wore for this shoot because it I’ve been looking for a good orange lipstick! P.S. you look amazing!

• 18. Melissa  |  September 17th, 2013 at 11:55 pm

These photos are incredible, so beautifully styled and shot. One day they will be the ultimate treasure of your youth.

• 19. annie  |  September 18th, 2013 at 2:04 am

That shirt and jumper are particularly fabulous! I love mixing prints :)

• 20. Meredith Adams  |  September 18th, 2013 at 7:40 am

YOU ARE SO GORGEOUS.

• 21. Chelsea  |  September 18th, 2013 at 7:42 am

I love this look on you Bri! All of the patterns work well together and your loft space looks so dreamy with the addition of the lace curtains.

xoxo,
    Chelsea & The City

• 22. carlotta cisternas  |  September 18th, 2013 at 9:06 am

Bri, you are always my biggest hair (and style, but especially hair) inspiration! Sooo beautiful!

• 23. Amélie  |  September 18th, 2013 at 10:13 am

You are such a timeless beauty, madame DesignLoveFest!

• 24. rallou  |  September 20th, 2013 at 2:24 am

the purple sweater is so cute and cozy!

• 25. Somanabolic Muscle Maximi&hellip  |  September 20th, 2013 at 9:10 pm