09.23.13

MAKE IT / 42

before we start our DIY, have you entered our facebook giveaway today?

garland

do you remember this garland that natalie made at our LA blogshop? (see here) we decided to show you the very simple steps to follow so you can make one of your own for an upcoming party or event…or to just make one of the corners in your house look cool.

what you’ll need:

• card stock
• scissors
• pencil
• sewing machine

how to make it:

• for the traingle strand: with a pair of scissors, cut the sheet of card stock into 2 in wide strips.
• cut the card stock strips into triangles by holding the scissors at a 45 degree angle, cutting towards the corner of the strip. cut in the opposite direction to complete the triangle.

run each triangle through a sewing machine, slightly overlapping each to continue the stitch.

get creative with the shapes you make. you can use a circle hole punch for the circle strand, and we are also fans of just the rectangle shapes…

lastly, hang! we used adhesive putty, but double sided tape or tacks would work just as well.

and there you have it! a very festive corner of your house. and if you have leftover paper cutouts you can always use them as confetti on the table to tie the theme together…

so what do ya think? are you gonna make one of these pretty garlands?

project by: kamryn stimpson for designlovefest
photos by: kimberly genevieve
more DIY projects here

• 1. Melissa  |  September 23rd, 2013 at 6:18 am

Such a great colour combo! And where can I find a turquoise sewing machine!?!? I won’t have to hide my yellowing old white one anymore.

• 2. joana | myseastory  |  September 23rd, 2013 at 6:41 am

love, love, love, can’t wait to make a few for my baby’s room, such a nice and affordable decoration.

• 3. valerie  |  September 23rd, 2013 at 6:41 am

this whole set up is gorgeous! i’m totally inspired.. i love how the bright white wall, natural chair, vintage portrait, and vibrant handmade garland complement each other! it’s simply perfection.

• 4. rachel  |  September 23rd, 2013 at 7:53 am

is this your house? i love this corner. I might try doing something like this or over my daughter’s bed. it needs some pizzazz for not a lot of dollars.

• 5. Maggie  |  September 23rd, 2013 at 8:32 am

Cute idea, I want to try with some crazy bright colors!
    -Maggie
    maggiefinejewelry.com

• 6. Lyndsay // coco cake land  |  September 23rd, 2013 at 9:02 am

Yes yes yes I remember this awesome garland! Definitely so festive and fun, one of my faves! I love all the colors and shapes together. PS that’s the cutest sewing machine ever, clearly going to have to google it! Xo

• 7. Gilit @ shoes off please  |  September 23rd, 2013 at 11:44 am

That was exactly my inspiration for my daughters bday party coming up!! I already made the garlands but I haven’t posted yet- I’ll try to remember to comment again when I do!

• 8. maggie  |  September 23rd, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Love it! Thinking about a halloween party and how cool this would look in golds and oranges and blacks!

• 9. YoungMild&Free  |  September 23rd, 2013 at 3:41 pm

I’m obsessed with this idea. Can’t wait to use it at my next event!

xx
    youngmildandfree.com

• 10. Marga  |  September 23rd, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Any tips for sewing paper? My first/last attempt was not successful. Thanks!

• 11. KAIT  |  September 23rd, 2013 at 8:53 pm

such a great idea – and so inexpensive! right up my alley :) thanks for sharing

• 12. designlit  |  September 24th, 2013 at 1:18 am

Very simple DIY decor, but the outcome is really great-looking. Thanks for sharing. It’s not just an idea; it’s also inspiring. True. DIY could be anything!

• 13. Sandy Shannon  |  September 24th, 2013 at 7:57 am

Love this! So simple + festive. A great way to infuse some playfulness into a room!

• 14. Jeanette  |  September 24th, 2013 at 8:14 am

What an fantastic idea! I want to do something like that over my bed :)

• 15. Lulu  |  September 24th, 2013 at 10:18 am

do you know where that rug is from? I love it!!!

• 16. Nonee Ngazimbi  |  September 24th, 2013 at 11:52 am

Oooowweee.. I can not wait to try this out for myself…so cute!

• 17. jess  |  September 24th, 2013 at 1:10 pm

this is my favorite of all garlands. i always do one shape at a time but the combo makes it so much more fun. love!

• 18. Alcohol Rehabs in Arizona&hellip  |  September 25th, 2013 at 7:45 am

Alcohol Rehabs in Arizona

D E S I G N L O V E F E S T

• 19. Seo edinburgh&hellip  |  September 25th, 2013 at 2:52 pm

Seo edinburgh

D E S I G N L O V E F E S T

• 20. danielle  |  September 25th, 2013 at 3:59 pm

I am totally going to make these for a future celebration. I also just posted my knitted neon headband collection. More to come, wish I had more hands…! http://grungeriot.com/the-market/

• 21. Dale Coykendall  |  September 28th, 2013 at 6:08 pm

I like the geometric combination I am planning holiday parties …looking at browns, silver frosty white

• 22. keyword tool automated  |  June 4th, 2014 at 9:30 am

Do you mind if I quote a few of your posts as long as I provide credit and sources back to your site?
    My blog site is in the exact same niche as yours
    and my visitors would genuinely benefit from a lot of the information you present here.
    Please let me know if this alright with you. Many thanks!

• 23. Katie  |  August 21st, 2014 at 3:03 pm

hey, anyone know where the plain flower bean bag is from? :)

• 24. salopes blanches  |  October 8th, 2014 at 8:31 pm

Un s

• 25. suceuse black  |  October 12th, 2014 at 8:39 am

Quel bonheսr ԁе ρaгcоսriг ceе Ьlߋց

Μʏ ѕite :: suceuse black

• 26. plancam gratuit  |  October 13th, 2014 at 8:46 pm

C’est

• 27. chaudasse asiatique  |  October 21st, 2014 at 11:04 pm

Bon, je n’ai gu

• 28. videos X en HD  |  October 22nd, 2014 at 5:51 pm

Bon jе n’ai ցս

• 29. blackette  |  October 23rd, 2014 at 10:04 pm

Je vais fіnkr ɗe voir tοսt celɑ cе ѕօіг

ʜегe iѕ mу ԝеƄ ρаǥе blackette

• 30. fille coquine  |  October 24th, 2014 at 2:33 am

Еncoгe un poste effectіvеment fɑѕсіnant

ңеге iѕ mʏ
    ɦοmeρɑǥe …
    fille coquine

• 31. fisting en streaming  |  December 6th, 2014 at 12:14 pm

Je sսis claіrement ddu m

photo X9A3191-edit_zps661cdbcb.jpg