09.09.13

MAKE IT / 41

my sister just graduated college & moved into town and scored this adorable hang out spot in front of her apartment. she was looking for a new table for the area, but wanted something that fit her budget. outdoor furniture can be pretty pricey, so we thought we’d show you how to spice up this affordable bistro table. a little tape and some spray paint took this table to a whole new level. now, let’s make it…

what you’ll need:

– ScotchBlue™ Painter’s Tape – wooden bistro table (we chose this $60 table from ikea)
– spray paint, we used flat black
– 3M Advanced Abrasives– wax paper
– ruler
– scissors
– permanent marker with a fine tip

how to make it:

– prepare your tabletop to be painted by lightly sanding it using 3M Advanced Abrasives.-this is a key step in any painting project to help with paint application and durability over time.

– roll out long strips of tape on wax paper.

– create your own stencils using a ruler and a sharpie draw a variety of geometric shapes, we used different sized triangles and diamonds to create our pattern. if you want you can sketch out ideas first but we just made a variety of shapes and played around before coming up with our final design.

– cut the shapes out

– peel the wax paper backing off and place your shapes according to your design.

– take time to smooth all of the stencils around the edge to insure you get a crisp line when you paint.

IMG_0164-copy

– spray tabletop according to the directions on your paint and be sure to allow proper dry time.

– after paint is dry, peel of the blue tape to reveal your new table!

project by: natalie shriver for designlovefest
photos by: kimberly genevieve
more DIY projects here

(this project was sponsored by 3MDIY.com.

Brooke says:

Wow—that came out great! What a cute little spot, too!

honestly, b.

Rebecca says:

That looks wonderful, and such a nice spot!

maggie says:

What an awesome idea! Even though I graduated college a little over a year ago, I am still on that shoestring sort of budget. Definitely doing this!

Nicole says:

Love this DIY- AND it doesn’t look that hard 🙂

Thanks for sharing!

Nicole

Ali Mackin says:

This is a great DIY but I a all thumbs I would have to buy the tape pre cut in these shapes : O

Ali of Dressing Ken

Oh this is so cute!! What a great trick with the wax paper as tape backing- so smart!! 🙂

Rhonda

shannon says:

I love this DIY! What a great idea to revamp a patio table.

I love this! And I think I have a table to try this out on! Thank you for sharing!

xx
    youngmildandfree.wordpress.com

Brilliant! I love the simplicity of the black and white.

bri says:

thanks everyone! let me know how it goes if you make one too. -bri

Grace says:

Looks great!

polaroidsandpuds.blogspot.co.uk

Katie Buell says:

OH My! Just catching up on your blog and I LOVE this DIY project! So fun and pretty easy! My favorite! 🙂 – KT

danielle says:

I ALWAYS love your DIY’s. Wanted to share my very first DIY posting that just went up! http://www.grungeriot.com/diy it’s for hanging up jewelry. I never know what to do with it and it’s a shame it has to stay hidden! Hopefully some of you will enjoy this.

Pingback: Usana Vitamins
    amanda says:

It looks great! How does the spray paint hold up over time (what should we do to prevent peeling/damage to the paint job)?