MAKE IT / 40 & GIVEAWAY
for this week’s DIY, we wanted to spruce up a lawn game. we thought this would be a good project if you were throwing a backyard party (paint them superbowl colors? themed birthday party? family reunion!) we love the idea of the classic horseshoes game with a little added color. we did this project in collaboration with the ready, set, paint blog hop where you can get all sorts of DIY ideas. here’s how to make the lawn game (and enter to win $200 to home depot down below. which i would most definitely spend on paint for my house if i won!)
what you’ll need:
• a horse shoe game set, there are several versions available online (we got ours here)
• ScotchBlue™ Painter’s Tape
• Testors enamel paint in 4 colors, 2 light or neutral and 2 darker or brighter colors
• self etching primer (can be found at auto parts stores)
• mineral spirits
• 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper
• paint brush
how to make it:
• using 3m blue painters tape, tape your horse shoes leaving about an 1 1/2 of the ends exposed.
• the key to making your paint job durable enough to withstand many games of horse shoes is proper preparation of your surface to be painted and dry time. be sure to carefully follow all the steps listed on the label of primer you use. you will want to clean the surface of your shoes with mineral spirits to remove any grease and dirt and then sand lightly with 400 grit sandpaper. spray primer according to their specifications.
• with your exposed area cleaned and primed, paint your first color with a lighter color enamel paint first. allow your paint to dry for a few hours before moving on to the next step.
• when your first color has had time to dry add another piece of blue tape to cover an additional 1/4 inch of the painted surface.
• paint your second color over top of your first color.
• repeat steps on all four shoes and on the posts if desired.
• allow shoes to dry for a minimum of 48 hours before playing to allow the paint to thoroughly dry and cure, we suggest even longer if you can stand to wait.
so, what do ya think? would you make this one? ALSO! we wanted to give you the opportunity to win $200 to the home depot for your next DIY or home project.
how to enter: (CLOSED)
1. leave a comment below with a link to your favorite DIY on the internet! your favorite project that you’ve ever seen.
one winner will be chosen on wednesday, august 19th at 10am PST. open to US readers only. the retail value is $200.
UPDATE: winner is #33, molly!