08.21.13

AN AFTERNOON BREAK

morning everyone! today i’m going to share 3 things with you: a delicious biscotti recipe from jen, a tip about my favorite new iced coffee, and a couple of free desktop downloads.

i’ve been a fan of almond breeze for a few years now (ever since i got on a major cereal kick when i first met arian) so when they let me know about their new iced coffee, i was all ears. i am constantly looking for a fast way to get coffee in the middle of the afternoon but always find myself getting lazy and not going out to get it. insert almond breeze iced coffee…my new mid-day lifesaver.

and i know you must be thinking, “yeah sure bri, this is a sponsored post, how do i know that it’s actually good?” oh, just trust. they sent me 4 cartons and i had to use serious restraint not to drink all of them before we had to shoot this post. it’s soy & dairy free, 100 calories and all you do is POUR IT OVER ICE. easy and awesome. jen got addicted too and would make me bring her to-go cups of it in the morning before our workouts. my favorite was the carmel macchiato, but i was into all 4 flavors.

ok, i’ll let jen take it from here…have a great day! -bri

ok, so get ready, cause you are gonna make biscotti. i am not a big baker, and i cannot tell you how easy (and fun) these cookies were to make. oh, and please note that these aren’t like a lot of the biscotti that are floating around, no this is the real stuff. the SUPER crunchy, ready for dipping into coffee biscotti. oh, and a little celebrity trivia for you, one christopher columbus was known to have crunched on a biscotti while sailing the seas. i bet you thought i was gonna use a more current celeb. i didn’t. this just seemed cooler. -jen

what you’ll need:

• 2 cups all purpose flour
• 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1 teaspoon salt (not to be confused with the maldon salt you will sprinkle on your biscotti)
• 3/4 cup light brown sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 2 teaspoon almond extract
•  1/2 cup raw pine nuts
• 8 oz bittersweet chocolate chips
• a few pinches of maldon salt

let’s make biscotti:

• preheat oven to 325 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
• in a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
• in another large bowl or stand mixer, beat sugar eggs, vanilla extract and almond extract until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes)

• mix in the pine nuts and then the flour mixture – just a bit at a time. beat until blended. the mixture will become a soft and sticky dough.

time to get baking:

• with moistened hands divide the dough into two equal halves and then transfer each to the baking sheet.
• form equal size logs that are a few inches high, and then bake until they are light brown (about 35 minutes).  then let cool for 5 minutes, no longer or your biscotti will be difficult to slice.

biscotti means twice baked:

• before you start the second round of baking, slice the biscotti logs into 1/2 inch thick slices. note: using a serrated knife really helps!
• place the sliced biscotti, cut side down, back on the baking sheet and bake until golden (about 25 minutes)

how ’bout some chocolate:

• cover a large platter, board or baking sheet with wax paper
• in a double boiler melt those chocolate chips.

* once melted and smooth, remove from heat and quickly begin dipping the biscotti in one at a time, on an angle.  cover with as much chocolate as you like.

* place the dipped biscotti on the wax paper, sprinkle the chocolate side with a bit of maldon salt and pop in the fridge for at least 20 minutes.

i recommend having something to dip these cookies in, since as i mentioned earlier they are traditional biscotti and super crispy.  so ready, set, DUNK, CRUNCH and REPEAT.

also, we thought we would share a few watercolor desktop wallpapers for you to download inspired by this post! click through to download them!watercolorcomp

CLICK THROUGH TO DOWNLOAD THE DESKTOP WALLPAPERS…

dots

:: click to download the PINK & BLACK DOTS (1597) DESKTOP WALLPAPER by ali labelle

:: click to download the AQUA WATERCOLOR (2913) DESKTOP WALLPAPER by jen gotch

aqua

:: click to download the BRIGHT WATERCOLOR (2333) DESKTOP WALLPAPER by jen gotch

watercolor

and download all of the designs from the past here.

(photos & recipe by jen gotch, post sponsored by almond breeze)
ALMONDBREEZE logo

• 1. jennifer prod  |  August 21st, 2013 at 5:42 am

your artsy biscotti and coffee routine is so much fun that i feel terrible about not being invited. maybe send an invite next time?

• 2. Jana Miller @ 333 Days of Hand Lettering  |  August 21st, 2013 at 6:43 am

I just love biscotti! So yummy :)

• 3. jen  |  August 21st, 2013 at 7:11 am

sadly i have run out of almond breeze iced coffee. i couldn’t find it at the store, but i did find their chocolate milk (sooooo good) and i add that with some diluted instant coffee and it is DEEE_LISH_US!

• 4. Rebecca  |  August 21st, 2013 at 7:11 am

I love to make biscotti, depending on my mood/taste I like to add orange with the cookie dipped in chocolate or vanilla beans and lemon zest with white chocolate! So glad I have a new recipe to try for one of my favorites.

• 5. Catarine  |  August 21st, 2013 at 7:22 am

Woow that biscotti looks so delicious. I’m gonna try to make it. Loved your blog is so cute.

• 6. Jyoti  |  August 21st, 2013 at 7:45 am

I’m not much of a baker but your biscotti looks amazing. I may just need to give this one a try!

jyoti @ whatjocraves.com

• 7. leann nguyen  |  August 21st, 2013 at 8:33 am

hahaha this is the funniest and most random post by far. coffee x desktop downloads!? what a surprise! lol :) love it, thank you bri and jen!!

• 8. Stefanie // Life on the Squares  |  August 21st, 2013 at 8:33 am

I have been wanting to try the Almond Breeze Iced Coffee because I have seen the TV commercials recently. I didn’t see it at whole foods yesterday, but I’ll find it!

XO, Stefanie
    Life on the Squares

• 9. Mere @merestreet.com  |  August 21st, 2013 at 8:51 am

ALMOND BREEZE = awesome. Hands down the best stuff to put in cereal (vanilla, of course). Not sure how I feel about my coffee premixed, but since I do love almond milk so, I gotta at least give it a try.

• 10. Alexis  |  August 21st, 2013 at 9:05 am

I’ve been wanting to try these!! I am semi lactose intolerant and these sound like a cure for my iced coffee love without the dairy!

• 11. Emma  |  August 21st, 2013 at 10:13 am

I love biscotti. Tried making a chocolate version last year and it went horribly wrong. This looks amazing. I might have to be brave and try again. Thanks for the recipe.

• 12. Chelsea  |  August 21st, 2013 at 10:13 am

Those biscotti look AMAZING Bri and I love me some iced coffee. What a perfect afternoon snack!

xoxo,
    Chelsea & The City

• 13. maggie  |  August 21st, 2013 at 10:15 am

Oh my God that iced coffee is always going to be in my fridge.

• 14. Links I Love & Chris &hellip  |  August 21st, 2013 at 1:17 pm

[...] for a new desktop wallpaper?  I love these watercolor day [...]

• 15. Alexandra Pettinato  |  August 21st, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Yummy looking iced coffee! And I love the watercolour desktops. SO CUTE :)

Alex from http://www.polkadottedpixels.com

• 16. Erin @ CO.IN Design  |  August 21st, 2013 at 3:20 pm

WHHHHHAAAAAATTTTT!!! My life as I know it can now officially be over. This makes my day. My week! I now want to buy watercolors and drink iced coffee all day!

• 17. Advice from a Twenty Something  |  August 21st, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Their iced coffee is AMAZING. Such a great collaboration!

xo
    Amanda

• 18. Abby  |  August 21st, 2013 at 5:13 pm

almond breeze is amazing, I drink their vanilla almost every day. your biscotti are so visually appealing too.
    xx Abby | a geek tragedy

• 19. Dorothy  |  August 21st, 2013 at 5:45 pm

I love love love the Santa Fe Floral rug!

• 20. Alana - Paper Planes  |  August 21st, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Looks relish!

• 21. Alana - Paper Planes  |  August 21st, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Um..that would be delish…

• 22. Nic  |  August 21st, 2013 at 9:19 pm

I hope they sell that Almond Breeze iced coffee where I live in Canada! Yummm!

• 23. DesignBuildLA  |  August 21st, 2013 at 11:10 pm

Looks delicious! Think we’ll try and make these for the office sooner than later.

• 24. Kristina  |  August 22nd, 2013 at 2:40 am

Biscotti recipe is pinned and ready to be made! And thanks for the desktop background. Currently jamming with the pink and black polka dots!

• 25. Après-midi tranquille | &hellip  |  August 22nd, 2013 at 5:41 am

[...] Source et recette : Design Love Fest [...]

• 26. jensen  |  August 22nd, 2013 at 8:48 am

oh that biscotti looks delicious. definitely making soon!

& have you tried the iced coffee/almond milk from califia farms?! so much better than almond breeze in my opinion! http://www.califiafarms.com/

• 27. Erica  |  August 22nd, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Hi Bri! What brand of watercolors do you use? I love how vibrant they are!
    xo

• 28. shauna  |  August 22nd, 2013 at 2:44 pm

I was SO excited about the almond breeze coffee until I just looked up the nutrition facts… LOTS of carbs and sugar :(. they need to come out with one with stevia & less carbs… Then they could take every penny I own.

xoxo Shauna
    theprettywiseblog.blogspot.com

• 29. High Five for Friday and &hellip  |  August 23rd, 2013 at 1:10 am

[...] Design Love Fest An Afternoon Break [...]

• 30. Happy Friday + Link Round&hellip  |  August 24th, 2013 at 12:54 am

[...] Some cute and free desktop wallpapers from Design Love Fest [...]

• 31. carly  |  August 24th, 2013 at 12:51 pm

i love your biscotti post! they look delicious but the color pairing on the watercolors you did with them in amazing! really beautifully done. in case your ever in florence and want to check out my favorite biscotti, please check this post:

cheers
    Carly

• 32. green coffee bean extract&hellip  |  August 25th, 2013 at 11:37 am

green coffee bean extract…

AN AFTERNOON BREAK | D E S I G N L O V E F E S T…

• 33. Nicole  |  September 6th, 2013 at 2:38 pm

What font did you use? :)

photo 2_zps8b7e2290.jpg