MAKE IT / 38
how about a very simple DIY to throw into the mix? today we are making gem cake toppers with just a few easy steps.
what you’ll need:
• colorful cardstock
• glitter cardstock
• tissue paper
• white glue
• glue stick
• hot glue
• wooden skewers
• fringe scissors (optional)
CLICK THROUGH FOR THE FULL DIY…
how to make it:
• with a pencil, draw a gemstone on a sheet of colored cardstock, and then cut out.
• trace the cut out gemstone on a sheet of glitter cardstock, and then cut it out.
1. on the original colored cardstock gemstone, follow the lines of your pencil drawing with white glue, then carefully dust with glitter.
2. let sit until the glue drys before dusting away the glitter.
3. with the glue stick, glue the back of both gemstones to tissue paper.
4. cut away the excess tissue paper with scissors, leaving about 1/4” around the edges of the gemstones.
5. hot glue a wooden skewer to the backside of the glitter cardstock gemstone. also, add a dot of hot glue on either side of the wooden skewer, and attach the other gemstone.
6. lastly, with the fringe scissors (this can also be done with ordinary scissors), fringe the tissue paper around the edges of your gemstones.
we liked the idea of a very plain white cake so the colors would really stand out and not compete with the frosting. what do you say? will you be making these for an upcoming party? i can’t wait to see photos of your gems.